Water shots for 2012

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Water shots for 2012

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:11 am

Water shots for the Speer 250 deep Curl, Hornady 250 grain Shockwave, both at 40.5 grains of LilGun and the Hornady 230 Grain FMJ Flat Point with 44.5 grains of LilGun and the LeGendre Side crimp.
Enjoy!
http://youtu.be/Uy3DDiUcUKg
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: Water shots for 2012

Postby Wicked Hunter » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:16 am

Nice video Dawg. I have yet to have a bullet veer off track but have only done a handfull of watershots. The ones I did were very non-scientific but seemed to work. The one thing that may help your situation would be to use some kind of rest. It worked best where i did mine to use a bipod from the sitting position. That will all depend on the heigth of you jugs as to what you use. Guessing by the heigth of your jug setup maybe the hood of the truck would be about right?
Wicked Hunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:06 am

LOL! I don't think I am going to be shooting that beast off the hood of my truck. But your welcome to bring yours on over and we can blast the paint off your hood! :lol: Man, I've seen some nice vehicles get their hoods trashed by muzzle blast.
But you're right, I need to use a rest. I may need to back off to 50 yards also. Right now my rest is an old school desk from way back. Hoot seems to believe I got it at a fire sale after Hiroshima. I think he may be on to something.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:34 am

The video is still viewable from this thread, but it has since been marked as private, so it no longer will show up as a public video. It is still watchable from this thread though.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Wicked Hunter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:49 am

Yeah I guess I should have explained shooting off your hood better. I would never shoot accross my hood either. I have on the other hand shot off the corner of my hood with no ill affects. With the Ross break I'd not only worry about the paint but also the windshield.
Wicked Hunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:22 pm

And a Dodge Ram hood is not the flattest of surfaces anyway.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:29 am

You wouldn't think so but tightening up the jugs against one another reduces the tendency of bullets to stray off course. The vertical wrap of duct tape is a plus, but it still allows them to wobble and twist under such high stresses. Lose the side rails and run a wrap of duct tape lengthwise around the entire group of jugs, tensioning them up real snug before terminating the the wrap at the end. I swear it really helps.

Disclaimer: I do not own stock in, or have any financial interest in the the duct tape company. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:43 pm

Hoot wrote:You wouldn't think so but tightening up the jugs against one another reduces the tendency of bullets to stray off course. The vertical wrap of duct tape is a plus, but it still allows them to wobble and twist under such high stresses. Lose the side rails and run a wrap of duct tape lengthwise around the entire group of jugs, tensioning them up real snug before terminating the the wrap at the end. I swear it really helps.

Disclaimer: I do not own stock in, or have any financial interest in the the duct tape company.

Hoot-
Dang, it's nice to know that, despite my lack of engineering expertise or formal training, I knew intuitively how to wrap jugs. Here's a photo that I posted in this forum about 14 months ago, showing my test setup:
Same disclaimer applies to yrs truly and his kinfolk: no financial interest in any manufacturer of duct tape. Also no ties to any maker of milk jugs.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:37 pm

Hmm. Worth a try on my next venture. But those jugs were pretty tightly packed and they stayed on the rack very well. I'm thinking I probably do need to shoot from a rest too. Got a few other ideas too to tighten up those jugs.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby greenhornet-1 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:13 pm

I think i'm going to make me a jug holder out of a peice of 1/8th plate. Brake it at 7" deep and 6" wide with a plate welded in the back.
greenhornet-1

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b