semi-new to reloading, what do i need?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

semi-new to reloading, what do i need?

Postby etijsma » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:16 am

before you tell me to search, please read.

i already have the 450 bushmaster dies and 100 of the 225 bullets along with 7mm rem mag dies with 100 bullets for that as well.

RCBS has a $50 rebate if you spend $300 on thier products.

im going to order the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit for $249 from cabelas and im looking at thier tumbler as well to meet the $300 requirement..

what else do i need to reload right of the gate? I know i need shell plates, do the hornady shell holders interchange? from what i have read they do.
etijsma

Re: semi-new to reloading, what do i need?

Postby gunnut » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:29 pm

I like a digital scale. Does the kit come with a bullet puller?
gunnut

Postby wildcatter » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:47 pm

Yeah, you need one of those cheapie inertia bullet pullers, for when you seat a bullet too deep, when setting up your dies. Not sure what is all in that kit, but you are starting out on the right foot. You can go cheaper, but you can not go better. My RockChucker is about 40 years old and going strong. I have all manor of equipment, but I WILL-NOT be without my RockChucker..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:57 pm

etisjma-
If I read the blurbs correctly, here's what you'll get in your kit:
  • Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage press
  • 505 scale
  • Uniflow Powder Measure
  • Speer Reloading Manual
  • Hand priming tool with small and large primer plugs
  • Folding Hex Key Set with 0.050", 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 7/64", 1/8", 9/64" and 5/32" keys
  • Universal Case Loading Block, which holds 40 cases in most rifle and pistol calibers
  • Case Lube Kit, which includes a 2 oz bottle of Case Lube-2, a case lube pad, 2 case neck brushes for .22 through .30 calibers and an accessory handle
  • Powder Funnel for .22 to .45 caliber, including the Winchester Short Magnum calibers
  • Chamfer and deburring tool for .17 through .45 caliber

The Speer manual is pretty good for bringing up to speed the most important piece of reloading equipment: The squishy stuff between your ears. However, the Speer book won't have data for the 450B cartridge. You might consider getting a copy of the Hornady manual. Hornady #8 is really inexpensive and on closeout now because they just published #9. #8 is OK because there's nothing new about the 450B in #9. I like the introductory material about reloading in the Hornady manual a bit better than that in the Speer manual. They complement each other nicely.

(Trust the manuals, and not data you see on the internet. The guys at Speer, Hornady, Hodgdon, etc., have an interest in keeping you alive and healthy, so you can buy more of their stuff. The guys on the internet, not so much.)

I don't see a Caliper on the list of RCBS items. There are several types of RCBS-branded calipers sold. A caliper is way more important than a tumbler. If you read the reloading threads on this site, you'll begin to think that we all run around with a caliper super-glued to our palm. You aren't far wrong. One of the first things you'll find in looking at the manuals are measurements like trim lengths and overall length of loaded cartridges (COL or COAL or OAL). You will need a caliper to perform these measurements.

A set of RCBS check-weights will be of great comfort. They'll let you know whether your balance has gone wacko.

Good luck, and be careful. And come back and tell us what we forgot to include in our advice.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby BD1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:27 pm

You will need a caliper, (dial or digital unless you're an old school slide rule guy), and trimmer or trim die for the 7mm. A cheap impact bullet puller would be a good idea so you can recover the components from your initial mistakes. Pretty soon I'd be looking for a primer pocket uniformer and a flash hole deburring tool along with a small tin of Imperial case wax. You're starting down a road here that will lead to a lot more shooting. You'll save money per round fired, but you'll shoot so many more rounds that you'll need to add reloading components to the monthly budget :)
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby 45r » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:23 am

You will want a Lee primer tool also.It works much easier for seating primers and isn't expensive.You can clean your brass with flitz for a while till you get a tumbler.I got a RC kit when I started reloading.Works great.Do most of my reloading on a Redding turret press now.Excellent quality and 7 stations.Don't have to screw in and out dies all the time.
45r

Postby etijsma » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I went ahead and ordered the rcbs kit, bullet puller and a few other things. I already have a mitutoyo caliper and a digital scale so I should be good in that aspect. The reload kit is on backorder until christmas but at least i got in before i missed out on the sale and the rebate. prepare for lots of questions!

Erik
etijsma

Return to Reloading for the 450b