california non leaded rounds

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: california non leaded rounds

Postby Weapon of Choice » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks for the links!!
Weapon of Choice

Postby Hopalong » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:15 pm

bushmeister wrote:I noticed that COP copper only projectiles is offering an all copper in 225, 250, 275, gr. (bullets only, not manufactured ammo) Some are in stock at midway, others are listed as coming soon. Hopefully this will be good news. I hope the hollow point won't be too large to cause feeding issues!

Only one weight is really available, and it's on sale, the 225. Big damn hole in front, for sure... All the other sizes are always available some time down the road. When the date gets close, the theoretical arrival date moves out another month or so.

Hop
Hopalong

Postby Weapon of Choice » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:57 pm

Hopalong wrote:
bushmeister wrote:I noticed that COP copper only projectiles is offering an all copper in 225, 250, 275, gr. (bullets only, not manufactured ammo) Some are in stock at midway, others are listed as coming soon. Hopefully this will be good news. I hope the hollow point won't be too large to cause feeding issues!

Only one weight is really available, and it's on sale, the 225. Big damn hole in front, for sure... All the other sizes are always available some time down the road. When the date gets close, the theoretical arrival date moves out another month or so.

Hop

You can always order Barnes bullets direct from them and they are cheaper than midways prices.
Weapon of Choice

Postby wildcatter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:15 pm

wildcatter wrote:
ScottB wrote:Hi all

I want to go hunting on a millitary base close to where I live in california but we have to use non leaded rounds :shock:
Silly condor
Does anyone have info on anyone that makes commercial loaded rounds for the bushmaster?
I have orderded the die set from hornady to reload my own but any sugestions on best heads to buy
I ordered the Barnes® XPB™ Pistol Bullet - .460 S&W .451" 275gr XPB™-FB as they are all copper
If anyone has info and reloading data /info it would be greatly appreciated :idea:

scottb

The 275's are prolly better for Moose type critters and the 200xpb's might be better suited for deer size critters.

The difference in the 275's vs the 200's is just in length of the back half, which means the 275's are still great for deer and represent a one stop shopping proposition for me. I use the 275's for everything, as they have proven so completely accurate that, other than price, I have a hard time using anything else for long range work. I have on many occasions shot sub 1" at 200yds, using them.

I'll have to go up to the lab tomorrow to get you a load..

..t

All though, I do really like the Barnes, my all time favorite is the FMJ-P's the price and effectiveness are hard to beat. But, for other missions I will use the bullet best suited for it and for long range work, that 200 & 275gr xpb barnes, is hard to beat. The 250gr XPB has a hugh Hollow Head point, where as the 200/275 are pointed Hollow Heads..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby longnkrnch » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:57 am

Are the 200 and 275 XPBs as accurate as the 250FTX with normal loading practices? Are there any special considerations? They sound really interesting.
longnkrnch

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:18 am

longnkrnch wrote:Are the 200 and 275 XPBs as accurate as the 250FTX with normal loading practices? Are there any special considerations? They sound really interesting.

My experience with both was that the 275gr XPBs were as accurate as the 250gr FTX with a minimal effort outside the 9 dots. The 200's were equally accurate if not slightly more so with the use of a stab crimp from a modified Lee FCD. The resulting load is my Go-To deer load. It throws a 200gr bullet with more energy and TKO power than a .30-06 at the ranges I hunt at. No one who's hunted with one disputes the effectiveness of the .30-06.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b