Hornady XTP

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Hornady XTP

Postby bloodhound » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:05 pm

Hello men, ive been perusing this site for some time just getting info after I purchased my own 450 bushamster a couple years back. I have just recently gotten into reloading and mistakenly ordered a box of Hornady XTP 300 gr. They however are not the XTP Mags, so I guess what I want to know is can I safely reload these or do I need to get the Mags? I apologize beforehand if this has already been a discussed and exhausted issue.

Thanks
bloodhound

Re: Hornady XTP

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Welcome to our electronic campfire! I'm going to let the guys who load the heavyweights weigh in on this issue.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby pitted bore » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:50 am

bloodhound wrote: ... I have just recently gotten into reloading and mistakenly ordered a box of Hornady XTP 300 gr. They however are not the XTP Mags, so I guess what I want to know is can I safely reload these or do I need to get the Mags? ...

bloodhound-
The regular XTP 300-grain Hornady bullets can be reloaded and used as safely as the XTP Mags. The difference between them is the velocities at which they are designed to expand. The regular bullets expand at much lower velocities than the Mag bullets. They are intended to be used at muzzle velocities about half of that you can achieve with the 450 Bushmaster. They should be just fine for plinking and getting your feet wet in reloading.

The Mag version, with a thicker jacket and probably harder lead core, requires higher velocities for expansion. Although the 450 Bushmaster is at the upper end of the velocity range, the reports that have come back to the forum haven't indicated any failures. If you're seeking a 300-grain hunting bullet, the Mag version is called for, unless you're going after coyotes or other vermin, for example.

Number and spacing of the crimp groove differs also between the two types. I haven't measured the differences, but possibly some adjustment of your seating die may be necessary if you're switching between the two types.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:56 am

Load and go, as PB said above, jacket thickness and a little different nose profile is the only difference.
Al in Mi

Postby bloodhound » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:13 am

Thanks a lot for the replies Gents, looks like i'll be moving forward with the reloads as soon as I get the dies figured out.
bloodhound

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:59 am

However, this advice applies ONLY to the specific bullet in question. "Load and go" does NOT apply to thinner jackets and plated jackets. Do NOT shoot Berrys or Rainiers plated jacket bullets out of a 450 Bushmaster. Thin or plated jackets can not hold up to the velocities obtained by Thumper and will fail...sometimes before they can even leave the barrel.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gunnut » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:However, this advice applies ONLY to the specific bullet in question. "Load and go" does NOT apply to thinner jackets and plated jackets. Do NOT shoot Berrys or Rainiers plated jacket bullets out of a 450 Bushmaster. Thin or plated jackets can not hold up to the velocities obtained by Thumper and will fail...sometimes before they can even leave the barrel.

DIDO on that!! Do Not Use the Copper Clad bullets either! They Will come apart and sometimes before they leave the barrel!! :o
Don't ask how I know. :oops: Trust me on this one!
gunnut

Postby bloodhound » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks again gents for the replies, I only have the xtp's to reload with at the moment for the 450 BM and am still learning the ropes to all of it. I check this site almost daily and have gathered a bunch of useful information that I would not have thought to ask. Thanks again!
bloodhound

Postby wildcatter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:38 pm

pitted bore wrote:
bloodhound wrote: ... I have just recently gotten into reloading and mistakenly ordered a box of Hornady XTP 300 gr. They however are not the XTP Mags, so I guess what I want to know is can I safely reload these or do I need to get the Mags? ...

bloodhound-
The regular XTP 300-grain Hornady bullets can be reloaded and used as safely as the XTP Mags. The difference between them is the velocities at which they are designed to expand. The regular bullets expand at much lower velocities than the Mag bullets. They are intended to be used at muzzle velocities about half of that you can achieve with the 450 Bushmaster. They should be just fine for plinking and getting your feet wet in reloading.

The Mag version, with a thicker jacket and probably harder lead core, requires higher velocities for expansion. Although the 450 Bushmaster is at the upper end of the velocity range, the reports that have come back to the forum haven't indicated any failures. If you're seeking a 300-grain hunting bullet, the Mag version is called for, unless you're going after coyotes or other vermin, for example.

Number and spacing of the crimp groove differs also between the two types. I haven't measured the differences, but possibly some adjustment of your seating die may be necessary if you're switching between the two types.

--Bob

Yeah, What PB has so well said.. I might add that the regular xpb's were designed for 45 Colt speeds, as it pertains to expansion, where as the mags are made for the 454 Casull/460S&W. In other words, if one were using a 22-250 with Varmint Bullets, on Moose, one could expect far to much expansion/no penetration and the Moose will get away and die somewhere else.

However, your results will be similar to the Varmint example and you prolly wont want them for shooting a charging 2000lb Bear, but you do have 300 GRAINS of "KICK-UM-TOOK-US"! So, even if you don't get any real penetration, they will be better than you finger, in such situations.

The reality is, with all the choices we have, shoot'em and enjoy'em, but for anything bigger than deer, we have far better choices, again, in other words, the regulars will act like a varmint bullet, at our speeds, which may or may not be what you desire, depends on the mission, but they will be safe to shoot and plink with, if you follow normal Safety Procedures..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Return to Reloading for the 450b