Hornady Taper Crimp Die Instructions

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Hornady Taper Crimp Die Instructions

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:35 am

wildcatter wrote:
PRKL8R wrote:Keesey: My taper crimp die does not have the bullet seater in it. The roll crimp is in the bullet seating die. The taper crimp die was a sepperate die, hollow all the way through. At least that is how it is in my Hornady's. Try that die if you have it. So far I've had no problems acheiving .476 crimps

Good Call and the roll crimp is entirely the wrong crimp. Sorry about this, but if you've been using a roll crimp, you will have to pull those bullets and re-crimp with the taper crimp or very bad things can happen!!

..t

Adjust the seater die for the option IN THE INSTRUCTIONS to seat the bullet WITHOUT crimping. (The "with crimping" instructions are for the roll crimp using the seating die. This may be useful for some rounds - this same die used for other Hornady loads, one of which, I think, is the S&W 460). Then use die #4 to put in the taper crimp to .475 or .476, depending on bullet diameter, cannelure, etc.

BTW, not knowing any better, I have fired some BM450 250 gr FTX with only the roll crimp with no ill effects. I may have just been lucky. But setting up the die to get the proper roll crimp is a pain and not necessary for the BM450, so why try.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:48 am

Jim in Houston wrote:
wildcatter wrote:
PRKL8R wrote:Keesey: My taper crimp die does not have the bullet seater in it. The roll crimp is in the bullet seating die. The taper crimp die was a sepperate die, hollow all the way through. At least that is how it is in my Hornady's. Try that die if you have it. So far I've had no problems acheiving .476 crimps

Good Call and the roll crimp is entirely the wrong crimp. Sorry about this, but if you've been using a roll crimp, you will have to pull those bullets and re-crimp with the taper crimp or very bad things can happen!!

..t

Adjust the seater die for the option IN THE INSTRUCTIONS to seat the bullet WITHOUT crimping. (The "with crimping" instructions are for the roll crimp using the seating die. This may be useful for some rounds - this same die used for other Hornady loads, one of which, I think, is the S&W 460). Then use die #4 to put in the taper crimp to .475 or .476, depending on bullet diameter, cannelure, etc.

BTW, not knowing any better, I have fired some BM450 250 gr FTX with only the roll crimp with no ill effects. I may have just been lucky..Yup, you were. But setting up the die to get the proper roll crimp is a pain and not necessary for the BM450, so why try.

Good Call and advice Jimbo!

I think by now or at least from behind my Rose Colored Glasses, we all know not to use a roll crimp on straight cases, Right? That is we all know, "For Now", we'll have to go over it again and that's OK, safety is everybody's responsibility...

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Keesey » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Wildcatter got me confused earlier when he said my dad was right but got it all straightened out now only fired 60 rds with a roll crimp with one fall to fire, pops forgot powder

Setting up taper crimp when my next boxes of lead show up
Keesey

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b