Sierra bullets

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Sierra bullets

Postby Keesey » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 pm

Anyone ever play with these??

Keesey

Re: Sierra bullets

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:15 am

That style of hollow point bullet shines it's brightest at low (750-900 fps) velocities. That doesn't mean it wont work at 3X it's designed velocity. The question would be how stable? I'd bet that someone here has already tried them and will chime in.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Keesey » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:10 am

Was looking for a range round for just shooting with out breaking the bank 26 bucks for a 100
Keesey

Postby MarkCO » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:40 am

If you are looking of an accurate, less expensive range plinker, try the Nosler Custom Competition or Harnady HAP.

Both are basically an XTP design. The Noslers are available in 185 grain for about $160/K. The Hornadys are availabe in 185 and 230 for about $170 and $200/K respectively. They are sold in 250/500/1000 count.
MarkCO

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:11 am

Keesey wrote:Was looking for a range round for just shooting with out breaking the bank 26 bucks for a 100

Judging from the picture, you want to buy something local? The last box of Hornady 225 gr FTX I bought online were $24.00/100 plus shipping and they are a much better match for this caliber. The problem right now is the lemmings are running headlong off the purchasing cliff and it's hard to find that bullet in stock anywhere online for a reasonable price. Plenty in stock for a jacked up price, aimed at taking advantage of the lemmings. :roll:

I realize patience doesn't come to all of us in the same dose, but if you're working within a budget, wait for the next Midway blemish sale. Probably not until after Christmas. Lemmings love Christmas. ;)

I may be able to help. Watch for a PM.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:50 am

Keesey-
I have not tried the 240 Sierra bullets, but I'd expect they would be fine, and would likely live up to Sierra's reputation for accuracy. They also will allow you to use Hornady's loading data for 240-grain bullets, subject to the usual reservations about substituting brands and types of bullets.

Although lighter bullets like the 185's can cost less, they usually require a bit of fussing to obtain proper ignition of powder. I suspect that is the reason Hornady did not include bullets weighing less than 240 grains in their recommended loads. Most forum discussions about using bullets lighter than 240 grains successfully have described the application of a side-crimp. That may involve more fiddle-dee-dee than you want initially.

Keep us posted on how the Sierras work out.
--Bob
edited to remove nonsense
pitted bore

Return to Reloading for the 450b