Love This Forum!!!!

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Love This Forum!!!!

Postby nickdeannow » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:48 pm

I don't know where to begin, but here goes...

I am extremely impressed by the quality of info I have acquired by reading posts from this site. I have spent no less than 4 hours a day reading posts since Christmas. I can't get enough!

Earlier this year I bought my first AR-15. I shot a couple hundred rounds through it and was quite bored with it. I struggle to understand how the 5.56 is the bullet of choice for our troops. I wasn't sure what I bought it for, other than the fact that it was on sale and my wife's dirty look at the gun store said to me, "I'll only be annoyed with you for a day or two." Well she did get over it, but I was annoyed with myself. Almost every gun I own has a purpose and this one did not...At least it didn't have a purpose until Christmas when my wife bought me a 20" 450 upper receiver assembly.

I live to hunt deer in Indiana and I can't imagine a better rifle to do so with. I have only shot 20 rounds through it in the backyard and I can't believe how accurate it is. I've had at least 3 of 5 touching in all 4 of my 5 shot groups at 100yds out of a green rifle. I couldn't be happier!

Today I received my Hornady die set and look forward to experimenting with various loads. I am EXTREMELY grateful to all of those who have contributed to this forum! What an awesome collection of knowledge that you have created here.

I have a bunch of 225 FTX bullets that I have been using in my 460 S&W, and based on everything I've read, that looks to be the right bullet for me to begin with in my 450b loads. My first question to this forum is about powder...I use H110 in my 44mag and 460. I was hoping to stay common and use it in the 450 as well, but I haven't seen many posts on the successful use of H110. Is anyone happy with any H110 loads, and if so...What are they?

My last comment is on all the energy people on here have spent reducing recoil of the 450. This thing is PERFECT right out of the box! It has been like a breath of fresh air compared to the 460 S&W single shot (Encore) I have been dialing in for the last year. I LOVE THIS GUN!!!!
nickdeannow

Re: Love This Forum!!!!

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:53 am

Pull up a stump to this electronic camp fire, grab a fist full of marshmallows and a coat hanger and welcome to our addiction!
PS..... Happy New Year!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby MudBug » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:13 am

I have to say that this forum is one of the few things I have done right at the right time in my life.

Now, all I did was get annoyed with having to search through the calguns thread for info. I had the web space, so I created the forum. It's the people here that make is great and I know that, I just got lucky on the timing. Another week and someone else would have started this place and we would all be hanging out there.

Oh, and if it wasn't for TS and Hoot the spammers would have killed me a long time ago.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:59 am

It's a true honor to serve you guys in this forum. :mrgreen:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:40 am

nickdeannow wrote:I don't know where to begin, but here goes...

I am extremely impressed by the quality of info I have acquired by reading posts from this site. I have spent no less than 4 hours a day reading posts since Christmas. I can't get enough!

Earlier this year I bought my first AR-15. I shot a couple hundred rounds through it and was quite bored with it. I struggle to understand how the 5.56 is the bullet of choice for our troops. I wasn't sure what I bought it for, other than the fact that it was on sale and my wife's dirty look at the gun store said to me, "I'll only be annoyed with you for a day or two." Well she did get over it, but I was annoyed with myself. Almost every gun I own has a purpose and this one did not...At least it didn't have a purpose until Christmas when my wife bought me a 20" 450 upper receiver assembly.

I live to hunt deer in Indiana and I can't imagine a better rifle to do so with. I have only shot 20 rounds through it in the backyard and I can't believe how accurate it is. I've had at least 3 of 5 touching in all 4 of my 5 shot groups at 100yds out of a green rifle. I couldn't be happier!

Today I received my Hornady die set and look forward to experimenting with various loads. I am EXTREMELY grateful to all of those who have contributed to this forum! What an awesome collection of knowledge that you have created here.

I have a bunch of 225 FTX bullets that I have been using in my 460 S&W, and based on everything I've read, that looks to be the right bullet for me to begin with in my 450b loads. My first question to this forum is about powder...I use H110 in my 44mag and 460. I was hoping to stay common and use it in the 450 as well, but I haven't seen many posts on the successful use of H110. Is anyone happy with any H110 loads, and if so...What are they?

My last comment is on all the energy people on here have spent reducing recoil of the 450. This thing is PERFECT right out of the box! It has been like a breath of fresh air compared to the 460 S&W single shot (Encore) I have been dialing in for the last year. I LOVE THIS GUN!!!!

Boy! Does our Nick have it bad or what??

You are correct, this is a wonderful group of guys, dedicated to the art of this weapon and to the respect of each other, keeping it Clean, Informative, Helpful, and Respectful, are the watch words here.

Sounds like your are doing everything correct so far. H110 will be fine, lil gun seems to have a slight edge, but your standardizing with the 460, you already own, will be wonderful and you wont be sorry either.

As far as H110 loads.. H110 and 296 are a couple of powders that have manf warnings, to not reduce loads more than 3%. So, for the most part, 30-41gr will kind-of be your range, being as all guns react differently. Myself, I'd start around 32gr and work up, watching for those pressure signs you want to stay away from. There are guys here, that have far more experience with the 225's than I and can be more specific. Myself, I'd be very interested in the terminal results and how well the bullet held up, after shooting a deer. As your 460, in some barrel lengths, has similar speeds to the 450, maybe you already have some anecdotal data, you can share?

Yup, allot of guys are playing with the weapon, experimenting with recoil and many other areas as well. At first I was concerned that some of these guns would stop functioning, but the platform doesn't seem any worst for the efforts? I guess, this is the essence of being an American, .."we want what we want, even if it doesn't work".

Anyway, welcome to the board, look forward to your posts, stay away from the Sheep Dawg, he's dangerous around the S'mores, in that regard, there are a couple of other Scoundrels around these parts you need to watch out for as well. Prolly, the best idea is to let "Me" protect your Campfire Goodies..wink..

And Happy New Year..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby nickdeannow » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks for the warm welcomes and Happy New Year to you all.
nickdeannow

Postby jerdebson » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:13 pm

I hang out mostly on two forums here and the 6.8 forum. I can get 95% of what I need between the two. I am a new comer also and appreciate the folks here. I want to work up some WARM 230gr FMJFP loads and might try the 225 myself, it does look promising. Welcome Aboard.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby nickdeannow » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:30 pm

I was going to work up some loads this morning and realized that the Horady die set doesn't come with a shell holder. Oh well...New one will be here in a few days. I was also bummed to find out that I have to use case lube with this die set. What a pain...
nickdeannow

Postby nickdeannow » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:33 pm

It is probably better I wasn't loading this morning, because then I'd be shooting all afternoon. Instead I'm sitting in my Shadow Hunter blind with my 450...Where I'm supposed to be. Looking to make a 200yd doe shot tonight!
nickdeannow

Postby East TN » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Welcome aboard!

If you reload for .308, 30-06, .270, etc., you have the shellholder.
East TN

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b