Primers...Where are you???

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Primers...Where are you???

Postby B swift » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:29 am

Don't be shocked when the hazmat fee comes to shipping ammo too. I'm sure they'll figure a way to make it all legal to rob us in ways we have only begun to imagine. :twisted:

Hoot wrote:I never knew why you could buy a case of 1000 cartridges, with 1000 primers in them and ship them without having to pay a hazmat fee. That's why I refer to it as legalized robbery. :evil:

Hoot
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby Keesey » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:07 am

I might be interested in 1k wsr or Remington 7 1/2
Pending price and avail
Keesey

Postby paulmark3010 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:24 am

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index. ... =3803409.0

Here is the link to someone on accurateshooter.com that has 4000 rem 7 1/2 for sale at $28 per 1k. I am surprised no one has bought them yet for that price. Sounds like he is getting alot of folks wanting him to ship without the hazmat fee and he won't do that. I would not either. :twisted:
paulmark3010

Postby pitted bore » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 am

paulmark3010 wrote:http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3803409.0

Here is the link to someone on accurateshooter.com that has 4000 rem 7 1/2 for sale at $28 per 1k. I am surprised no one has bought them yet for that price. Sounds like he is getting alot of folks wanting him to ship without the hazmat fee and he won't do that. I would not either.

See Jim in Houston's post above. The seller's difficulty will not be the hazmat fee. The problem is that UPS and other shippers require the individual that presents a hazardous material to them for shipment be a licensed shipper of such materials. Becoming licensed requires some training.

If I wanted to ship you a package containing primers, the package has to be marked as containing hazardous material. (Failure to mark the package is a federal felony, I think.) If I hand it to the UPS person, they won't accept it unless I'm licensed, even if I want to pay the hazmat fee.

If my understanding is incorrect, I'd like to learn about it.
Thanks.
--Bob
Edited to acknowledge Jim in Houston's getting there first.
Last edited by pitted bore on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pitted bore

Postby longnkrnch » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:49 am

Seems to me that Remington just quit making the darn things. You can't find them in any local stores, I have spent hours over the last month, online looking for them and NO ONE has any anywhere that I can find. You'd think that if they were even producing them at a normal pace that you could run across some once in a while, but no. Are they holding back till we are willing to pay $100 per thousand or what?
longnkrnch

Postby Wicked Hunter » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:26 am

If I had to guess Remingtons primers are going into there own ammunition. If you think about reloading components, the powders are not what manufacturers use for factory ammo. So they always seem to stick around the longest. The brass is probably the same brass they use in there factory ammo, as well as the primers. So if they've got ammunition orders to fill they probably are doing what they have to do to keep up. Reloading components I'm guessing are basically sold when they have more than enough of a given component. There are alot more people buying loaded ammo than there are that reload, including government and Law Enforcement. Unfortunately Remington is going to keep those orders filled before they worry about the reloaders.
Wicked Hunter

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:01 pm

longnkrnch wrote:Seems to me that Remington just quit making the darn things. You can't find them in any local stores, I have spent hours over the last month, online looking for them and NO ONE has any anywhere that I can find. You'd think that if they were even producing them at a normal pace that you could run across some once in a while, but no. Are they holding back till we are willing to pay $100 per thousand or what?

They didn't quit making them. You have to think like a businessman. I'm sure speculators rushed in with orders of 1000 bricks as soon as the SHTF. Why would a manufacturer care about the ma and pa store, or distributor who wants 50 bricks of this and 50 bricks of that? There's more profit to be made shipping one big order than 100 smaller ones. The primers are out there, in vaults, waiting for the desperate to find their wallets to the tune of that age old song:"What the market will bear". I'd venture Remington's capacity to produce is now backlogged for the remaining three quarters of this year at the least.

While it grates my arse, we may now be in the era of the 10 cent primer. Still beats $2.00 per round.

Folks have to disabuse the notion that businesses sell firearms and ammunition out of the love of the medium. They just as soon sell claw hammers if they commanded the same profit margin. It's just about the money. On the small sales side, that may be the case, but the big fish eat the little fish.

There are exceptions though. I was at the local Fleet Farm store the other day. It's for guys what Target is for gals. In the hunting and fishing department, above the empty shelves, are signs stating that they limit the purchase of high cap mags, when available, to one per customer per visit. Kudos to them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:38 pm

Stopped by Cabelas yesterday, No small rifle or pistol primers at all stuff it totally picked over and gun shelves are about 70% empty. They only had a couple of ARs and very few shotguns. Pistols were basically gone. I bought the last two bottles of bullseye and the last bottle of power pistol that they had.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:44 am

Ditto Bass Pro Shop near me re primers. They still had powder, as did Carter Country - but no primers there either. Local Academy has re arranged their handgun display case from four rows in three cases to one row in each case. Rifle racks in all stores look like picket fences - here-a-gun-, there-a-gun. Pickin's are slim. Did not go to the Houston Gun Show this weekend. I'm guessing it was packed with people but understocked with equipment. Waiting for news reports on it.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:36 am

Here's the long and short of it. All of the manufacturers of powder, brass, bullets, and brass, mags guns, etc, etc, are still in the game. I talked to many of them. You may have heard that there are "Fear" shortages

These guys just can not just gear up to meet the demands as, if the fears become "Normalized" as rapidly, they'd go broke, having just over extended.

All of them suggested you get on the various waiting list and in 4-8 months (depending on the product), your number should finally come up..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b