Primers...Where are you???

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Primers...Where are you???

Postby longnkrnch » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Contacted Remington last week after months of looking for primers. They emailed me back within a couple of days. They told me there were none to be had right now and they were not in production. They expected to resume production sometime in April and hopefully will have some in stores sometime in May. I have about 500 left. I'll just have to make them last.
longnkrnch

Postby Hoot » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:21 pm

longnkrnch wrote:Contacted Remington last week after months of looking for primers. They emailed me back within a couple of days. They told me there were none to be had right now and they were not in production. They expected to resume production sometime in April and hopefully will have some in stores sometime in May. I have about 500 left. I'll just have to make them last.

Is it me or does Remington not have a solid business model. It would seem that if I owned manufacturing equipment and demand for the product it produces, that it would make sense to run it until product orders start to fall off. Of course, I'm not in business, so I may be missing something...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Hoot et al.-
I'll second guess this, and speculate that they are running their primer manufacturing lines as fast as they are able. Their military contracts probably get first dibs on what they make. My guess is that "not in production" means that they are producing no primers for the civilian consumer, and not that they have stopped making primers.

During some previous ammo famines, some mfrs built new production lines which they were forced to mothball when the shortages eased. This unused capacity cost these makers a lot of capital. So when shortages develop now, they simply run what capacity they have full time, knowing they will catch up eventually.

Yup, just speculation.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:45 am

Bob has nailed it. However... Does it bother anyone that these ammo MFGs are willingly starving civilians of ammo and components in favor of DHS orders of billions of rounds of ammo that might possibly be used against American Civilians?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:11 pm

pitted bore wrote:Hoot et al.-
I'll second guess this, and speculate that they are running their primer manufacturing lines as fast as they are able. Their military contracts probably get first dibs on what they make. My guess is that "not in production" means that they are producing no primers for the civilian consumer, and not that they have stopped making primers.

During some previous ammo famines, some mfrs built new production lines which they were forced to mothball when the shortages eased. Causing deep lay-off's and their Absolutely Huge Associated Cost's, these problems speak to a Failing Company if not avoided..This unused capacity cost these makers a lot of capital. So when shortages develop now, they simply run what capacity they have full time, knowing they will catch up eventually.

Yup, just speculation.
--Bob

Bob has it, and you might consider the back-door gun-control program, where-in Home Land Security is buying in HUGE quantities that has furthered caused our shortages..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby B swift » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:23 pm

Worry won't help. We need to prepare! The sounds of war approach my friends.
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby longnkrnch » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:27 pm

If they can't ban the stuff, they can just buy it all up to keep civilians from getting it. I know, "conspiracy theory", but considering all the other crap the government is pulling these days, I don't doubt anything at this point. I don't know how many primers they are capable of producing per day, week, etc. But, I was told once that one Remington ammo factory could turn out 6,000,000 (thats million) rounds per day, now figure a week a month, etc. If one ammo factory can make that many a day, where is it all going? It sure aint showing up on the store shelves. I just can't help but believe that theres not something else in play, besides just high customer demand.
longnkrnch

Postby wildcatter » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:32 pm

longnkrnch wrote:If they can't ban the stuff, they can just buy it all up to keep civilians from getting it. I know, "conspiracy theory", but considering all the other crap the government is pulling these days, I don't doubt anything at this point. I don't know how many primers they are capable of producing per day, week, etc. But, I was told once that one Remington ammo factory could turn out 6,000,000 (thats million) rounds per day, now figure a week a month, etc. If one ammo factory can make that many a day, where is it all going? It sure aint showing up on the store shelves. I just can't help but believe that theres not something else in play, besides just high customer demand.

Ok, try this..I may not have the numbers just quite correct, but I am in the ball park.

The last ten months HLS has purchased an additional 1.6 "BILLION" rounds and plans to buy much more. No, there no Conspiracy Theory in that..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:34 am

There are a couple of other threads running on this topic, "Hoarding" and "The Point of No Return." Here is my recent post fromm the latter."

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:

Jim in Houston wrote:
        Hornady posted a press release a few days ago that stated that less than 5% of their output was to fill government contracts. I think all the cartridge components are being diverted from the reloading market to make complete cartridges. I know the government put out a massive order for delivery over the next five (or 10?) years, but it was still a small percentage of industry capacity.

I'm not seeing the black helicopters, the guys on the grassy knoll, or Dick Cheney sneaking into the World Trade Center with a box of C4.

So what are you saying exactly? That DHS is not buying up and hoarding ammo? That the empty ammo shelves at Cabelas and other sporting goods stores is just an illusion? That the "out of stock No back order" comments on Midway USAs web site are just figments of our imagination? That all of the price gouging is just a bad dream and in reality, there's absolutely no reason to question this administrations' admitted lust to destroy the Second Amendment? Are you suggesting that the billions of rounds of ammo to DHS is a hoax?
      What are you saying exactly?

What I am saying is that demand for ammunition by the public has sucked up all the stock and is keeping inventory low or non existent. The increased demand is coming from regular shooters like us and from those millions (literally) of new gun owners who are now stocking up. I don't see any sinister plot by the government to suck up all the ammunition just to keep it out of the hands of the public. Hornady's statement that only 5% of their orders are going to the government supports this. Relate this to the gas lines of the 70's, when everyone rushed to fill up their tanks and keep them full resulting in a shortage of gasoline There was no government buy-up needed to keep supplies tight ; we did it ourselves. And yes, I know, the theory then was that the oil companies had tankers anchored offshore waiting for the price to go up. That never happened either.

Also, the government purchases are of .40 cal hollow points and possibly .223 (the links are unclear on whether or not this contract went through). So what accounts for the shortage of .38 cal, .45 cal, etc. Here is an explanation from the National Shooting Sports Foundation, not exactly an arm of the federal government (though I suppose they could be bribed): http://www.nssfblog.com/clearing-up-rumors-about-government-ammo-purchases/. This pertained to the situation in April 2012, when the government orders went in. Here is the NSSF's latest from today - http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/02/16/ammunition-shortage/1919321/.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:13 am

-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b