Lee 45 Colt Collet-Type Factory Crimp Die

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Lee 45 Colt Collet-Type Factory Crimp Die

Postby pitted bore » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Here is a description and some comments about a Lee die that may have some usefulness in reloading the 450B.

Recently while browsing Lee Precision's web site, I came across a die I had not seen previously. The description can be found at this link: 45 Colt (collet style) custom factory crimp die

(That web page is incorrectly titled "45 Colt Custom Carbide Factory Crimp Die" and the catalog lists the die on an index page misleadingly titled "Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Dies". There's no carbide on this die.)

Just in case the link is broken later, here's the full description of the die: "Non-cataloged custom factory crimp die in 45 Colt (Collet Style). This product is available for immediate shipment. This item is made to SAAMI specifications." Lee's SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) number for the die is 80337.

For about four years the 450B Reloading Forum has offered descriptions about how to modify a Lee 45-70 Collet-Type Factory Crimp Die and use it to apply a side crimp to reloaded 450B cartridges. From the Lee web description, this non-cataloged 45 Colt collet-type FCD seemed to resemble the modified 45-70 FCD. So I ordered one of the 45 Colt dies to find out.

When it arrived it was obvious that this Lee 45 Colt collet FCD very much resembles the 45-70 die as modified for use with the 450B. Here are a couple of photos that show the 45 Colt die along with my modified 45-70 FCD. (I described how I made the modifications a post on 13 Dec 2009 in this thread: The "modifying a Lee 45-70 factory crimp die" thread).
lee45-whole_labl.jpg
lee45-whole_labl.jpg (58.62 KiB) Viewed 20591 times

lee45-dis_lbl.jpg
lee45-dis_lbl.jpg (65.03 KiB) Viewed 20591 times

In the 45 Colt die, the collet stem is shorter and the die body is longer than on my modified 45-70 die.

The 45 Colt die could be converted readily to apply a side crimp to 450B reloads. The only modification needed is a reduction in the width of the internal ridge in the collet that contacts the case. Such a reduction is common with most conversions of the 45-70 die; without the reduction the crimp groove is too broad to be effective. Except for this needed modification, the 45 Colt die should be ready to go, not needing length changes required for the 45-70 die.

As with the modified 45-70 FCD, it will be necessary to use washer-type spacers between the shell holder and the die collet stem to adjust where the side crimp will be located on the cartridge. The spacer technique has been described in several threads on this forum.

It may be that the 45 Colt collet die will permit applying a heavier crimp to the 450B cartridge, because it is designed for a .452 bullet and a thinner case wall than the 45-70 crimp die. I'm not quite ready to modify my copy of the die to check whether this is so.

Lee has labelled this as a custom die, and because it's uncataloged it may not be usually available; perhaps the current listing is a one-time offering.

LEE 45 CALIBER CRIMP DIE SUMMARY
The Lee catalog lists several dies that have obvious possibilities as crimp dies for the 450B, applying either a taper crimp or side crimp. Here's an annotated listing of such Lee dies in 45 caliber. Some of the dies are known to be useful, and others show potential usefulness in reloading the 450B. Others are useless in my current opinion. The links below are active as of the time of posting.

#90785 Lee 45 ACP/45 Auto Rim/45 Schofield/455 Webley Mark 2/45 Win Mag Taper Crimp Die
(LINK to #90785 listing on Lee web site )
This is a steel die that applies a taper crimp. Like the Hornady taper crimp die, it has no moving parts. I described its possible usefulness for reloading the 450B in this thread: Notes about the Lee .45 Taper Crimp Die

#90786 Lee 45 Colt/454 Casull Taper Crimp Die
(LINK to #90786 listing on Lee web site)
Like the above, a steel die that applies a taper crimp. I have not yet seen or used one. As a guess, it may have a bore that is .001 larger in diameter than the above #90785, and so may be better adapted to use with .452 bullets in the 450B.

#80337 Lee 45 Colt (Collet Style) Custom Factory Crimp Die
(LINK to #80337 listing on Lee web site)
This is the uncataloged collet die described above in the photos and text.

#90864 Lee 45 ACP/45 Auto Rim/45 Schofield/45 Win Mag/45 GAP Carbide Factory Crimp Die
(LINK to #90864 listing on Lee web site)
This die seems useless for reloading the 450B. A description of the die and its problems is found in a sticky thread I started about two years ago: A Note on the Lee 45 Carbide Factory Crimp Die #90864

#90865 Lee 45 Colt/454 Casull/455 WEB MARK 2 Carbide Factory Crimp Die
(LINK to #90865 listing on Lee web site)
This is another die that seems useless for reloading the 450B. It's almost identical in construction and materials to the #90864 die immediately above.

In addition to the above dies sold separately, Lee's three- and four-die sets include a bullet seating die that can apply a crimp to the seated bullet. Lee currently makes such die sets for nine different cartridges taking .451 and .452 bullets:
  • 45 ACP
  • 45 Auto Rim
  • 45 GAP
  • 45 Winchester Magnum
  • 45 Colt
  • 45 Schofield
  • 454 Casull
  • 455 Webley Mark II
  • 460 S&W Mag
It's possible to order as a separate part the seating die body for each of these die sets. All of the seating dies are stated to apply a crimp to seated bullets, but it is unclear which of these dies apply a taper crimp or a roll crimp. Without that information, it is questionable whether any or all of these dies could be used as taper crimp dies for the 450B.

The above may be unclear or muddled. Please ask questions, and I'll try to respond helpfully.
--Bob
pitted bore

Re: Lee 45 Colt Collet-Type Factory Crimp Die

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:39 am

Thank you for this well written and illustrated write-up. Although I already have one of Hoot's modified dies (and will be using it as soon as I can find some #$@* primers), I appreciate the effort you put into this project.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:46 am

Great job once again Bob!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby kozmo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:57 pm

hello pitted bore I just ordere a lc collet die will try to mod the collet and let you know how it works for me. seems like a lot less work .
kozmo

Postby pitted bore » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:42 pm

kozmo

I hope it works out for you. As you probably know, there are some posts on various threads about techniques for reducing the thickness of the crimping ring in the collet. Let us know which technique you used. And lay in a supply of washers of various thicknesses.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby kozmo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:05 pm

I just got my lee lc fcd collet type. I tried the mod by just doing the collet. bottom edge of crimp is .440 from case mouth iassume this is to low and believe I will have to cut the rest of the die like on the 45/70 mod . please correct if I am wrong. can anyone tell me what their oal is on their 45/70 die mod

Kozmo
kozmo

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:17 pm

kozmo wrote:I just got my lee lc fcd collet type. I tried the mod by just doing the collet. bottom edge of crimp is .440 from case mouth iassume this is to low and believe I will have to cut the rest of the die like on the 45/70 mod . please correct if I am wrong. can anyone tell me what their oal is on their 45/70 die mod

Kozmo

Don't remove any more of the die. It's already too short. You need to slip washers big enough to fit over the brass and down upon the shell holder. That will engage the collet sooner as the cartridge moves up through the die and the crimp will move closer to the mouth. If the crimp is .44 below the mouth, by adding enough washers to make up say .34 thickness, you will move the crimp to about .1 below the mouth. That's where either stamping or electro-penciling different thickness measurements on the respective washers washers will allow you to keep notes on which combination yields a crimp location where. That way, you can reproduce your results the next time you set up to load some more. My thread with images describes several methods to make the shim washers.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:28 am

kozmo-

From the first post on this thread:
Bob=myself wrote:As with the modified 45-70 FCD, it will be necessary to use washer-type spacers between the shell holder and the die collet stem to adjust where the side crimp will be located on the cartridge. The spacer technique has been described in several threads on this forum. [Emphasis added.]

As far as I know, all reloaders using a 45-70 Factory Crimp Die modified for 450B side crimping have cut the die too short for use without some shim/spacer technique. An advantage to using the 45 Colt instead of the 45-70 FCD is that the 45 Colt die and collet come from the factory already cut sufficiently short. Shims/spacers/washers are still required for its use. Shims will allow precise placement of the side crimp where it's needed for different bullets and loads.

The Lee factory crimp dies for various cartridges are not adjustable for length of cartridge. Lee manufactures them to put a crimp exactly on the mouth edge of the case. To use the collet die to apply a crimp at some other length, some sort of a method is needed to adjust the distance between the shell holder and the bottom of the collet. Shimming with washers is an easy way to do this.

The 45 Colt FCD is set at the factory to apply a crimp at the 45 Colt case mouth. The 45 Colt case is 1.285 inches long. The 450B case is about 1.700" long. If you want your 450B side crimp to be at about 1.600" from the base, then you will need to use shims totaling 0.315 inches thickness (= 1.600 inches minus 1.285 inches).

If Hoot's good post above and this addition are confusing or otherwise unclear, please ask again.

What techniques did you use to modify the collet? Keep us informed of your progress, please.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:53 pm

I usually cut the Collet for a specific bullet. The problem with this, is when changing bullets the cannelure is in a different location, on the new bullet (assuming you want to crimp into a cannelure). Therefore, it makes sense to cut the collet so you "Have" to use shims, thereby keeping your options open. For shims, I use any kind of washer that gets me into the ball-park. Then I supplement with "Shoulder-Bolt Shims" to put me dead on, crimping into the exact location I wish to hit, be it into a cannelure or just the side of the bullet.

Below are a couple of examples of Shoulder-Bolt Shims. They are .501 ID and .750 OD. and can be bought separately, usually .005", .010", and .015" thick. I will buy say six (6) of each thickness, so I can double or triple them up to achieve my crimp location. These shims are very accurately made.

I've included a couple of URL's, but these can be bought locally from most any hardware store or bolt supply house, again separately, as these packages (as shown) are of twenty (20) pcs and represent several Lifetime Supplies..

..t

http://www.reidsupply.com/sku/PBS-10/
http://www.reidsupply.com/sku/PBS-11/

Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby kozmo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:12 am

I reduced the crimp ring with a drill press and stone . But when I place washers over case and on shell holder don't get any crimp. With no washers I get a crimp like stated before that is too far down the case. I guess I am missing something

kozmo
kozmo

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b