Lee 45 Colt Collet-Type Factory Crimp Die

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Lee 45 Colt Collet-Type Factory Crimp Die

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:37 am

Kozmo;
Make sure the washer OD is not causing them to hang up on the underside of the press where the die passes through. My first effort at modding the Lee 45-70 die was with my Lee Classic Cast press. The washers I used (the ones in the article) worked like a charm. Then I got an RCBS Rock Chucker and they would not work unless I reduced the OD.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:13 am

kozmo wrote:I reduced the crimp ring with a drill press and stone . ...

kozmo-

Thanks for explaining your technique for thinning the crimp ring.

I'm not sure how you're placing the washers on the shell holder around the case. A photo of my setup is below. It shows a Remington green-tip factory cartridge in place, about to enter the crimp die in my old RCBS RockChucker. In this instance, the modified 45-70 FCD is installed. The crimp collet extends well below the frame of the press.

There is a single washer in place on top of the shell holder around the case. I happened to find in my junk box a pretty thick washer which I ground very slightly to produce the height needed to place a crimp about .060 below the mouth of 450B cases.

I hope it is clear what's going on. If not, please ask for more explanation.
--Bob
450collet.jpg
Rem ctg being inserted into modified 45-70 Lee FCD.
450collet.jpg (70.19 KiB) Viewed 14766 times
pitted bore

Postby kozmo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:32 am

thanks for all the info! I believe the problem is my washers od just ordered some shoulder-bolt shims. I have 2 presses a 550b and lee breech lock I will be up and running in no time.

kozmo
kozmo

Postby PRKL8R » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:56 pm

What impresses me is the longer die body of this crimp die. It should allow greater adjustment in various brands of presses. Also better purchase for the lock ring. Only modification needed is interior crimp narrowed. Great find pitted bore!!!!!!!
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby LlindeX » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Per Pitted Bore's recommendation, I've been using this die recently. It's fantastic for our purposes. Much easier for us to modify, and gives us an easy way to really adjust the location of the side crimp. WELL DONE PITTEDBORE !!!
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Postby pitted bore » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:40 am

LlindeX wrote:Per Pitted Bore's recommendation, I've been using this die recently. It's fantastic for our purposes. Much easier for us to modify, and gives us an easy way to really adjust the location of the side crimp. WELL DONE PITTED BORE !!!

LlindeX-
Thank you. Like the man said, even a blind squirrel can find acorns occasionally.

I've been using the unmodified die myself recently. (I think somebody on the forum suggested this technique, but I can't find the post.) The broader crimping band in the unmodified 45 Colt die applies pressure without noticeably putting a crease in the case or deforming the bullet. The trade-off is that it doesn't increase bullet retention in the case quite as well as the narrow ridge of a modified collet.

I've been working with some very light frangible bullets in the 450B. The manufacturer of one of these bullets has warned against too-tight crimps, either taper or rolled, because such crimps may fracture the bullets. The broader crimp of the unmodified 45 Colt die produces an increased bullet pull without excessive circumferential stress on the bullet.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:10 am

pitted bore wrote:
LlindeX wrote:Per Pitted Bore's recommendation, I've been using this die recently. It's fantastic for our purposes. Much easier for us to modify, and gives us an easy way to really adjust the location of the side crimp. WELL DONE PITTED BORE !!!

LlindeX-
Thank you. Like the man said, even a blind squirrel can find acorns occasionally.

I've been using the unmodified die myself recently. (I think somebody on the forum suggested this technique, but I can't find the post.) The broader crimping band in the unmodified 45 Colt die applies pressure without noticeably putting a crease in the case or deforming the bullet. The trade-off is that it doesn't increase bullet retention in the case quite as well as the narrow ridge of a modified collet.

I've been working with some very light frangible bullets in the 450B. The manufacturer of one of these bullets has warned against too-tight crimps, either taper or rolled, because such crimps may fracture the bullets. The broader crimp of the unmodified 45 Colt die produces an increased bullet pull without excessive circumferential stress on the bullet.

--Bob

True-True, something to consider Bad-Bobber. If fragmentation and a strong crimp is something desirable, the use of 185-230gr Hollow Points can be a great compromise. They are of course made to expand in the 45 ACP and are still expanding at 300fps. What happens to that bullet at speeds approaching 3000fps? I see them going into many thousands of little flat flecks, say the size and shape of #12 shot totally flattened out, with a half dozen curly-Que shards of copper (about 1.5" long), about the size of a pencil lead. They won't penetrate anything of significance (They wont penetrate into the second water jug) and you CAN crimp the dickens out of them AND they don't break the bank (far cheaper) AND they are much more accurate than Sinter Metal Bullets??

Just a thought..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:16 pm

t-
You're right, of course, about the probable impracticality of using really light-for-caliber fragmenting bullets in the 450B to shoot anything other than paper. My current efforts are directed simply toward finding what velocities are possible. As long as the bullets hold together in flight, terminal performance is not really relevant, although I may try some water jug tests just to confirm your predictions. Unless the water tests show something unusual I've no plans further than the current tests for speed. I'm checking accuracy, but not particularly seeking it here.

Thanks.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby LlindeX » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:01 pm

pitted bore wrote:

LlindeX-

--Bob

Bob,
Like you, I've tried the unmodified custom 45 Colt collet die and liked the fact that it didn't damage my cases or bullets. (I've been getting pretty good accuracy with it too.) You just gave me an interesting idea: Wonder what would be the impact of using two of these dies; one modified and one un-modified. Put on a very slight narrow side-crimp with a modified die, followed by the broader crimp of the unmodified 45 Colt die? Just a thought.
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Postby pitted bore » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:24 am

LlindeX wrote: ... Wonder what would be the impact of using two of these dies; one modified and one un-modified. Put on a very slight narrow side-crimp with a modified die, followed by the broader crimp of the unmodified 45 Colt die? Just a thought.

Lindex-
That is an interesting suggestion, and should be useful particularly if the narrow side crimp can be located in a bullet cannelure. Would the order of crimping make a difference, with narrow or broad applied first?
--Bob
pitted bore

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b