CCI 450

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

CCI 450

Postby Hopalong » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:21 am

The favored primers in the group seem to be WSR and Rem 7 1/2. I've poked around a little looking for data on CCI 450s and there doesn't seem to be much. Is there some reason these aren't used?

Thx.

Hop
Hopalong

Re: CCI 450

Postby Hoot » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:28 am

Hopalong wrote:The favored primers in the group seem to be WSR and Rem 7 1/2. I've poked around a little looking for data on CCI 450s and there doesn't seem to be much. Is there some reason these aren't used?

Thx.

Hop

I could have swore a few members are using them. I bet WC has tried them for sure.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:11 pm

Shore-Nuff Have used them.

They are a good cheap or cheaper primer, but for some applications the 7 1/2's are quite a bit hotter (increased brisants) and seem to do better, but for ordinary loads the CCI's are just fine and I do use them..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hopalong » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:05 pm

wildcatter wrote:Shore-Nuff Have used them.

They are a good cheap or cheaper primer, but for some applications the 7 1/2's are quite a bit hotter (increased brisants) and seem to do better, but for ordinary loads the CCI's are just fine and I do use them..

..t

So is the 450b ordinary?

Hop
Hopalong

Postby wildcatter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:45 pm

It wasn't when I first got started with the 45 Professional. Holy Cow, were the attacks extremely prevalent. The notion that the 223/AR could be challenged was tremendous. Of course this was long before the Beowulf/Socom. Now days we tend to be mater-of-factly about such matters, just not to the guys that need this amount of horse-power, for them it is Manna from Heaven.

But to your point. if you were hunting in extreme cold or needing to ignite a large volume of slow powder (1680/4198 etc.) or a high brisants primer (7 1/2's) usually is more consistent in ignition and the Bench Rest Guys want that, then a 7 1/2 remmy primer is your baby (usually). But if you have the 450 cci's then buy all means use them, some particular guns prefer them. Believe me I use them, though most of my work is with Remmies.

Heck CCI's 450's are great, don't be afraid to try them. Right now, with the panic on, CCI's are all I can get locally, so guess which I buy in 5000pcs case lots??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hopalong » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks Wildcatter-

That's the sort of answer I was hoping for. Guess I better load up a few and try them, maybe even some of each to compare.

Hop
Hopalong

Postby Nosparks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:07 am

With the shortages I have been faced with here in central florida, CCI 400's are all I could/can get my hands on. I have used them with the only powder available to me (IMR 4227). I have searched all the way to South Florida for other powder and primers with no luck, always a day late. So far I have had no issues with CCI's not performing for me.

My loads so far have been, Horn 250gr FTX 33.6gr - 37gr IMR 4227 CCI 400. Groups have been sub 1" @50yds. I need to get a chrono.
I have loaded up some hotter rounds 37.5gr - 39gr with those same CCI 400 primers, but havent shot them yet.
Now the range Im shooting is not long so Im not sure what 100yds would look like, plus I only have a 1.5x4x40 scope. Where I hunt there isnt many places to shoot greater than 75yds. And most of my kills are with in 50yds or in front of hounds.
Nosparks

Postby wildcatter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:28 am

See, for Nosparks the answer is self evident, use the primer at hand and in his case he is not disappointed. In other words, never suffer the good enough, for the perfect.. especially if the perfect doesn't actually accomplish any real work.

As I have said, Define Your Mission, then go for that. If 2 moa is all you are getting with a particular primer, but the perfect primer gives you 1.5 moa, you might decide that this accuracy isn't necessary, especially if the target is 18" inches or better (deer, moose, buffalo or??) and that over-all horse power, at range, is a more relevant fact..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Return to Reloading for the 450b