Primer Input...

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Primer Input...

Postby dale » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi all-
I just scored some Federal Small Rifle primers. The first ones i've seen in awhile. Any info on how these compare to others. All my previous reloads for 450b have been wsr/lil'gun/230fmj's. Just wondering. They say match small rifle, No. GM205M.
thanks
Dale
dale

Re: Primer Input...

Postby etijsma » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:32 pm

I was curious on this as well, as they have been the only ones I have came across, so I bought them. What a great time for me to start learning to reload. :|

The only thing I have come across is here.. http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2009/06/primers-small-rifle-primer-study.html
etijsma

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:31 pm

dale wrote:Hi all-
I just scored some Federal Small Rifle primers. The first ones i've seen in awhile. Any info on how these compare to others. All my previous reloads for 450b have been wsr/lil'gun/230fmj's. Just wondering. They say match small rifle, No. GM205M.
thanks
Dale

They're not a bad choice, especially if that's all you can get. A while back I loaded some 450b rounds with them and Lil Gun. IIRC, the resulting velocity was not too far behind Remington 7 1/2 or WSR. Certainly not enough to rule them out. I can not speak to how well they perform with other powders, nor how colder temperature affects them when used with this caliber.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby etijsma » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:50 pm

not to throw the topic off, but what are your thoughts on the cci 450's?
etijsma

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:10 am

etijsma wrote:not to throw the topic off, but what are your thoughts on the cci 450's?

If you're asking me, I've never tried them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:25 pm

I've used the CCI No. 41 primers, which are like the CCI 450 primers, except the No. 41s are made with a harder cup. They seemed to work fine. My most recent use was with Enforcer powder with 160-grain all-copper bullets.

The loads in the Hornady manuals used WSR primers. Be cautious with direct substitution of other primers for the top end loads listed there.

--Bob
pitted bore

Return to Reloading for the 450b