Need advice on primers!

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Need advice on primers!

Postby Outdoored » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:37 pm

I've tried to digest as much as I can here, but the information is scattered on my specific question. Going to attempt my first reloads soon and I need guidance regarding primers!! I see that the preferred primer is the Rem 71/2...butI've searched everywhere with no luck.....I have 2000 wolf small magnum rifle primers, 500 CCI 450 primers, and 2000 CCI 400 primers.........I have 5 lbs of Lil Gun and everything I need to get started (Thanks to the info from you guys)......Can someone PLEASE give me a recommendation on which primer to start with? Which of the three that I have would be best?
Outdoored

Re: Need advice on primers!

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:48 pm

Ive never shot those Wolf primers and would love to hear how well they do.
Unfortunately, I've not tried the CCI primers yet either.
I've been pretty happy with my WSR primers. But Like
the Remmys.....Where Day Bee, Mee Donn Know? :cry:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gunnut » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:29 pm

I have used most of them with good results. The only way to really tell is to shot them over a crony. I did not.
Some R & D using the above with LiLGun & 296 with same bullet and crimp would be in order and greatly appreciated.
gunnut

Postby Hoot » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:06 am

Outdoored wrote:I've tried to digest as much as I can here, but the information is scattered on my specific question. Going to attempt my first reloads soon and I need guidance regarding primers!! I see that the preferred primer is the Rem 71/2...butI've searched everywhere with no luck.....I have 2000 wolf small magnum rifle primers, 500 CCI 450 primers, and 2000 CCI 400 primers.........I have 5 lbs of Lil Gun and everything I need to get started (Thanks to the info from you guys)......Can someone PLEASE give me a recommendation on which primer to start with? Which of the three that I have would be best?

Part of the fun and responsibility to the forum is blazing new trails. If you stay in the middle of the load range for Lil Gun, all of those primers are a safe bet. Performance goes beyond safe though.

What we need is for someone who is able to minimize the effect of the main reloading technique variables, that affect velocity. Then that person runs some load workups, correlates their results and present them to the group for our mutual benefit. I spent the better part of my first and second years with this caliber, doing just that. That's the give and take of the forum. There is still much to be learned through smilar experiments, but we need some fresh blood to show some R&D initiative. Yes, it's altruistic for the most part, but that's what we're wired to do.

There was a time when the manufacturers returned some of their profits made off of us the customers, in the form of R&D. For the more ubiquitous calibers, that was done, but as soon as that effort strays too far from their high volume product lines, their committment drops off to non-existent. The 450b falls into that latter description and it's up to us to further the state of the art.

Doing that is as much fun as it is work, so pick a topic of interest and have some fun.

Hoot

EDIT: The CCI 400s will yield the worst results. I've tried them and they are a bit cool for Lil Gun and W296. I have never had the other two primers, but if they actually live up to their promise of being Magnum primers, then they should yield acceptable results. Like safe, acceptable is not necessarily the stopping point once you get there.
H...
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Outdoored » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks guys......I suppose I will start with the wolf smr and start on the low side to be safe....waiting on chronograph to arrive.....other than this I have everythying I need. My plan is to duplicate the hornandy 250g ftx factory col and taper crimp, and my goal (for now) is to duplicate it's velocity and accuracy. I have about 600 225g ftx, 300 -250g ftx, and 500 XTP mag 240g....so it appears I have enough to experiment with.....primary use is feral hog control and deer hunting. I have the 20' barrel paired with a RRA lower....national match trigger.

I will post my results when they are available.......and look forward to learning from you.
Outdoored

Postby Hoot » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:58 am

Outdoored wrote:Thanks guys......I suppose I will start with the wolf smr and start on the low side to be safe....waiting on chronograph to arrive.....other than this I have everythying I need. My plan is to duplicate the hornandy 250g ftx factory col and taper crimp, and my goal (for now) is to duplicate it's velocity and accuracy. I have about 600 225g ftx, 300 -250g ftx, and 500 XTP mag 240g....so it appears I have enough to experiment with.....primary use is feral hog control and deer hunting. I have the 20' barrel paired with a RRA lower....national match trigger.

I will post my results when they are available.......and look forward to learning from you.

You don't really need to start real low. Try some 225s over 38gr Lil Gun with those SMRs. That's a well documented moderate load using Rem 7 1/2 and WSR, so it'll be easy to A/B.

I also use a 20" on an RRA NM lower. Great combo!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Good Luck, and keep in mind that an under charged case can have the same effects as an over charged one, so don't go wild on either end.

A call to Whites Laboratory Ballistics-Lab, would yield the results you are looking for, assuming they'd share that data. SAMMI has that data too..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Due to the dearth of primers, I have been buying small rifle ones from whatever manufacturer was on the shelf. I have WSR, which I have reloaded, Remington 7-1/2 SR bench rest, and CCI 400's. I also have bullets ranging from various manufactures in 225, 250, 260, and 300 gr weights. As suggested, once I start reloading I will run several different primers with the same powder load (Lil Gun - 38 gr) and the 250 FTX bullets to see what comes out. Then I will vary the bullet weights.

BTW, I was concerned about the dimensional differences in primers from different manufacturers, but the "expert" at Carter Country is of the opinion that as long as I get small rifle primers I should be OK. I also came across this article on the subject (may have been linked in another thread) - http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2009/06/primers-small-rifle-primer-study.html. It has a lot more data, including pressures.

Anyway, here is the chart I found (also off the internet, so it must be true):
Attachments
Primer Sizes.jpg
Primer Sizes.jpg (57.54 KiB) Viewed 14869 times
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby wildcatter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:07 am

Outdoored wrote:I've tried to digest as much as I can here, but the information is scattered on my specific question. Going to attempt my first reloads soon and I need guidance regarding primers!! I see that the preferred primer is the Rem 71/2...butI've searched everywhere with no luck.....I have 2000 wolf small magnum rifle primers, 500 CCI 450 primers, and 2000 CCI 400 primers.........I have 5 lbs of Lil Gun and everything I need to get started (Thanks to the info from you guys)......Can someone PLEASE give me a recommendation on which primer to start with? Which of the three that I have would be best?

See My comments near the bottom..

..t

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13439
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Go with the CCI 450's. On other threads (search for CCI 400 - the 450's will also come up) some delayed ignition has been reported with the CCI 400's, while others have used them successfully. Delayed ignition has aslo been reported in one post I found on Wolf primers (search for Wolf primers). All my reloading has been with WSR's and other posts that I have read favor the Remington 7-1/2, neither of which are in your inventory.

The full quote (Siringo) was, . . . with 296, you are better off using Winchester Small Rifle or Remington 7 1/2. My preference is with the Winchester primer. It will properly light the 29"6 and Lil'gun. My experience is the velocities with the CCI primers is 100 to 150 fps less than the Winchester (using the CCI 450). CCI 400's are too mild. I once tried Wolf Small Rifle Primers and I swear I was shooting a Flintlock. The delay was that noticeable."

Here is the link - http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11446&p=30496&hilit=wolf+primer#p30496.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b