barnes 275g xpb bullet

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

barnes 275g xpb bullet

Postby gsrious » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:26 pm

I have searched and read many threads on this topic. however, i was wondering if there are any actual pictures of the loaded rounds that our members can post up for me. i'd like to see how you use the factory hornady taper crimp on this bullet.
gsrious

Re: barnes 275g xpb bullet

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:16 am

gsrious wrote:I have searched and read many threads on this topic. however, i was wondering if there are any actual pictures of the loaded rounds that our members can post up for me. i'd like to see how you use the factory hornady taper crimp on this bullet.

The taper crimp is so subtle, it's hard to discern by sight. You really should check it by measuring it with a micrometer or caliper. Make sure you measure the resulting diameter as close to the lip of the mouth as possible as that's where the greatest amount of taper will be, since it's, well, a taper. When you see someone post their loads, they usually specify the degree of taper as measured close to the lip of the mouth.

In the case of the Barnes XPBs, which are an excellent choice, seat the bullet so that the rearward edge of one of the driving band grooves falls just below the mouth with the COL being as close as possible to 2.26. It provides an excellent purchase point for the taper crimp to press into.

If you haven't already done so, read the threads linked Here regarding reloading with the Barnes XPBs. Might give you some good insights.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: barnes 275g xpb bullet

Postby wildcatter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:37 am

If this is what you are looking for, well here ya go. Of course this is a pic of 200grainers, but the only differences are, the 275 has three (3) crimp grooves and is longer in the base only, other wise both are identical from the front grove to the point.

The 200gr XPB/3000fps shown was done in my Range Lab and is not safe for the less experienced, but is representative of what is possible, for the Professional Experimenter ONLY, and is displayed for informational use ONLY..

..t

Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Return to Reloading for the 450b