GRRRR....Issues.....

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

GRRRR....Issues.....

Postby Outdoored » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:45 pm

OK...so I THOUGHT I was doing great :roll: . I loaded some test cases (without powder, with primers) with the 225FTX and the 240g XTP mag. All cases resized...all seated according to spec....all taper crimped at .475. All Thunked great.......so I put them into battery. None would extract, but all fell out of the chamber with gravity.....no assitance needed. Aslo noticed that the bullets pulled out a bit. So.....I experimented....I re-set to spec and this time taper crimped to .471.....just to see if the bullets would move......YEP......they moved in one loading....some as much as .009. Again, none of the cases extracted, except this time they needed assitance.....the extractor seemed to grab initially this time, but released when pressure was applied..........FWIW, Factory ammo extracts.....and thunks. I now have 28 bullets ready for testing, but now I'm concerned.
Looks like I may request this modified stab crimp be built....if I can't find a solution. No sense in seating bullets to a certain depth, then have them push out unpredicatbly.

Any advice is appreciated......I'm stuck :twisted:
Outdoored

Re: GRRRR....Issues.....

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Outdoored wrote:OK...so I THOUGHT I was doing great :roll: . I loaded some test cases (without powder, with primers) with the 225FTX and the 240g XTP mag. All cases resized...all seated according to spec....all taper crimped at .475. All Thunked great.......so I put them into battery. None would extract, but all fell out of the chamber with gravity.....no assitance needed. Aslo noticed that the bullets pulled out a bit. So.....I experimented....I re-set to spec and this time taper crimped to .471.....just to see if the bullets would move......YEP......they moved in one loading....some as much as .009. Again, none of the cases extracted, except this time they needed assitance.....the extractor seemed to grab initially this time, but released when pressure was applied..........FWIW, Factory ammo extracts.....and thunks. I now have 28 bullets ready for testing, but now I'm concerned.
Looks like I may request this modified stab crimp be built....if I can't find a solution. No sense in seating bullets to a certain depth, then have them push out unpredicatbly.

Any advice is appreciated......I'm stuck :twisted:

Mine has done that since day 1. In my case, the type of crimp had no bearing upon the fact that the extraction hook does not retrieve the case, yet it falls out if I tip up the muzzle. Not sure if it is the length of the chamber or what. I just got used to pointing the rifle up in the air before extracting an unfired round. If I ease the cartridge into battery and thumb the last few millimeters with the forward assist, there is a distinctive click as the hook engages the rim. It's always been an enigma but not compelling enough to troubleshoot. I got the impression that my chamber ran on the loose side. Not sure if the round cocks a little and binds when the extractor pulls back on one side or not. Always extracts a fired case. No sign of light primer strikes. Like I said, an enigma.

The pulling is hard to avoid given the weight of the projectiles. Were you taper crimping those 225s into the cannelure? I've found that having a cannelure helps a lot more than just a tighter crimp. Hopefully you did not thin the walls at the mouths from excessive taper crimp pressure. I had that happen once while experimenting with annealed cases and a .473 crimp into smooth sided, solid copper bullets. Ruined a handful of brass. Once the mouth wall is thinned, there is no way to make it thicker again. Once thinned, the net effect of the taper crimp is diminished further since the greatest amount of taper occurs right at the mouth.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Outdoored » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:39 pm

In fact, I have tapered into the cannulure....that's what is so puzzeling!!! I followed your exact recipe for loading the 225ftx.....seated the bullet to OAL of 2.115...just at the upper edge of the cannulure....and the same with the xtp (OAL of 2.060)......My concern is that on follow up shots, the magazine bullets OAL will never remain consistent when chambered......I would love to think that I could predict the amount of displacement and seat the bullets .009 deeper...expecting them to all fall into the same length when chambered....but I think I know better.

I like things I can control......and this I can't! I'm assuming I can taper crimp to a maximum (minimum) of .474...but that doesn't seem to do the trick.....now......These cases I have played with...as a matter of fact, I have seated, pulled, and re-seated bullets about 3 times....just playing around. Maybe that's it...... Regardless.......I think I may need that stab crimp just to ease my OCD mind......
Outdoored

Postby Wicked Hunter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:37 pm

-Is this a new upper?
-Do you have an Overall Length gauge?
I was having similar troubles when i received my new 20" Bushy upper. It turned out i had a bur inside my chamber.
The best thing to try is to use the length gauge and turn the bullet around backwards to see how far it travels into the Free Bore of the barrel. In my barrel it wasn't going into the throat at all.
If this is your case your barrel is gonna need some work. I did mine myself but other have had a gunsmith re-ream the chamber.
Wicked Hunter

Return to Reloading for the 450b