Sizing die

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Sizing die

Postby MudBug » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:07 am

Cool, thank you for the pictures.

If you don't mind I'm gonna add them with all the info to THIS THREAD
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby gunnut » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:31 am

Go for it. And move any in the future as well.
gunnut

Postby the_mad_rshn » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:14 pm

This is awesome :-) Thank you, sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am planning to use one of the .50 caliber pistol dies for seating. Any advise?

Cheres,
Mad
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby Siringo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:18 pm

The Hornady seating die has a in-line seater -- thereby helping to keep the bullet in line with the case. Better chance of seating it straight. If you use 50 cal dies, the bullet may be seated off center -- effecting the accuracy. One of the criteria for accurate ammuntion is to have it absolutely straight. I feel you would be way better off in the long fun to bite the bullet, so to speak, and buy the Hornady dies. Just my opinion.
Siringo

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:02 pm

:) After all these years... :? and still more to learn! ;) I love this website 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby the_mad_rshn » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:34 pm

Siringo wrote:The Hornady seating die has a in-line seater -- thereby helping to keep the bullet in line with the case. Better chance of seating it straight. If you use 50 cal dies, the bullet may be seated off center -- effecting the accuracy. One of the criteria for accurate ammuntion is to have it absolutely straight. I feel you would be way better off in the long fun to bite the bullet, so to speak, and buy the Hornady dies. Just my opinion.

I am still not sure what I am going to do. I do not have the right tools to modify the Factory Crimp Die and I do not wanna do it using a hack saw either. But paying someone with the lath will actually bring the cost of the project up. So really. Why no just get the Hornady set. Also I believe that Lee's bullet seating die also has a seater that centers the bullet. I think a 50 cal die will be perfectly fine.

Cheers,
Mad
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby the_mad_rshn » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:39 pm

Well gents,

I also wanted to modify an existing 45-70 Lee FC Die. I asked around and nobody that I know has a lathe. Local shops sharge 30 + dollars. So I solved the problem with the hack saw :mrgreen: Yes, yes, and yes!!!! I was scared at first, but then I realized that as long as I don't cut more than .55" of the collet I'll be fine. I made a jig out of a couple pieces of 1x2s and a piece of plywood I had laying around so I could saw the part using straight angle.
So I did the job and finished the rest with an electric sander to get the desired lenght. The corners were deburred using a round needle file. I guess I could have used the Dremel instead, but I was too lazy to get it out of the box. Then I took off .5" from the die body itself. There I did not have to be as precise. It worked great. I have a 10 dollar Lee Factory Crimp Die for my Bushy now. Nice. So I am all set now.

Thanks to all for great info.
Cheers,
Mad

Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby wildcatter » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:48 pm

the_mad_rshn wrote:Well gents,

I also wanted to modify an existing 45-70 Lee FC Die. I asked around and nobody that I know has a lathe. Local shops sharge 30 + dollars. So I solved the problem with the hack saw :mrgreen: Yes, yes, and yes!!!! I was scared at first, but then I realized that as long as I don't cut more than .55" of the collet I'll be fine. I made a jig out of a couple pieces of 1x2s and a piece of plywood I had laying around so I could saw the part using straight angle.
So I did the job and finished the rest with an electric sander to get the desired lenght. The corners were deburred using a round needle file. I guess I could have used the Dremel instead, but I was too lazy to get it out of the box. Then I took off .5" from the die body itself. There I did not have to be as precise. It worked great. I have a 10 dollar Lee Factory Crimp Die for my Bushy now. Nice. So I am all set now.

Thanks to all for great info.
Cheers,
Mad

[ http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/the_mad_rshn/450_lee_crimp_die.jpg ]

WAY-TO-GO-MAD!!! It's the Shade Tree Mechanics that made the Auto Industry and you just proved it again!! I hope you can give us a better picture of the cartridge showing the LeGendre Side Crimp installed?..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby the_mad_rshn » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:12 pm

wildcatter wrote:
WAY-TO-GO-MAD!!! It's the Shade Tree Mechanics that made the Auto Industry and you just proved it again!! I hope you can give us a better picture of the cartridge showing the LeGendre Side Crimp installed?..

Here. I hope these show the crimp better.

Cheers,
Mad

Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:43 am

looks like the case mouth is belled a little, will it still chamber?
Al in Mi

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b