I feel sorry for the socom guys!!

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

I feel sorry for the socom guys!!

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:34 pm

I was searching Midway for some new bullets to test so I wandered over to the .458 section figuring I'd get some 400 grainers and size them down. BUT there is just about zero bullets available in .458. I have always told people that argue with me that we have a limited selection of bullets in .451-.452 that we actually have way more of a selection than they do because I have a $15 Lee sizing die and I can turn their bullets into my bullets but it's not nearly as easy for them to do the same!! I was kinda surprised that .458 was one of the calibers that is being hoarded! :geek:
Stealthshooter

Re: I feel sorry for the socom guys!!

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:31 pm

if it can be shot, it is being hoarded or bought up and scalped on Armslist and GB. Locally, the exception is the rooshky stuff. 5.45x39 and 7.62x54R abound.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:32 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:I was searching Midway for some new bullets to test so I wandered over to the .458 section figuring I'd get some 400 grainers and size them down. BUT there is just about zero bullets available in .458. I have always told people that argue with me that we have a limited selection of bullets in .451-.452 that we actually have way more of a selection than they do because I have a $15 Lee sizing die and I can turn their bullets into my bullets but it's not nearly as easy for them to do the same!! I was kinda surprised that .458 was one of the calibers that is being hoarded! :geek:

Boy! You got this right!!

Basically they have "Rifle Bullets" of 400 grains or more. Yeah there are Specialty Bullets that are lighter and except for the Hornady 350gr interlocks, try to find them. The 350's are the only standard real bullet they have, if you consider anything heavier is into Diminishing Returns and that only gets worse the Heavier they go. Plus, as you point out, we can shoot their bullets, but they can't shoot ours. And, on the Midway sight, you can count way more .451-.452 bullets, than there are available .458's.

Those Poor guys, I've read wherein many are now starting to say the socom/beowulf guys have "Baited and Switched" (their terms, not mine) them into a bad deal. Beowulf, now has a machine wherein they can produce 5000rds/hr, but if you can only get X amount of brass (1, 3, or 3 times per year and then in limited amounts), how many hrs can they run, to say nothing of bullet availability..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Hoot wrote:if it can be shot, it is being hoarded or bought up and scalped on Armslist and GB. Locally, the exception is the rooshky stuff. 5.45x39 and 7.62x54R abound.

Hoot

You got that right. Part of the reason I went with the 6br for my new rifle is because for some reason the .243 stuff is still available.
Stealthshooter

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:50 pm

I looked at the three big-bore AR cartridges when I first got interested in this sort of thing, and the 450b just seemed the most sensible and ballistically capable of the three, by far. Something "just didn't seem right" about the other two; maybe too specialized or extreme. Anyhoo, the 450b was the obvious choice for my purposes. Thus began the madness.... ;)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:50 pm

No regrets here. I'm very happy with my 450 B. Master Blaster.
Period.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to Reloading for the 450b