Alliant 300-MP powder?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Alliant 300-MP powder?

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:I really wish I could find a supplier near by. Since my load of choice includes 300gr SST/ftx's I'm thinking this may be a better choice than the H110 that I have been using. Look forward to the report.

One thing I may not have mentioned in the range report is that despite having those 300s clocking near 2100fps, there was zero pressure signs. In the past, when loading them over Lil Gun or W296, when they were at 2000 or slightly beyond, the brass started imprinting from the bolt and the case head growth was more pronounced. I believe what WC said about developing pressure over a greater period of time, but not as reluctantly as 1680 did. I have never tried 4227, so I can't comment on how it compares to 300MP. If I can remember tomorrow, if you wish, I can call the place where I got that bottle and see if he can ship one to you and if so, how much that would add to the price, which was $25.00 over the counter. This is a small mom and pop reloading store, so chances are he is getting it from a local distributor.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:11 pm

That would be great Hoot. The last I checked the hazmat fee was $25 but if they can do it for less that would be awesome. I only need a little to decide if it will work for me. If it will ill order a few pounds so the hazmat fee does not sting as much.
Stealthshooter

Postby pitted bore » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:34 pm

Since you guys brought it up, here's how to ship very small quantities of powder between individuals without going through the hazmat hassle:

The method probably can't be used by commercial firms, but between acquaintances it is workable.

A hazmat fee is required for powder and primers. However, there is no fee required for ammo including blank ammunition, although regulations call for putting an ORM-D or other approved label on the package.

To send your powder, you make up some shotshell blanks and ship them without the extra cost of hazmat. You can make a "blank" by filling a fired 12-ga shotshell almost to the top open end with powder, leaving enough of the tube empty above the powder level to form the crimp. Put put a circular piece of paper on top of the powder, and crimp the shell. The paper will keep the powder from leaking through the crimp. If you and recipient desire, the empty powder bottle can be enclosed in the package with the blanks, the bottle to be refilled at the destination.

The blanks have to be shipped UPS or Fed Ex ground. You will probably have to ship from an official UPS or FedEx office, not from some store that handles shipping as a sideline. I don't know about companies other than Fed Ex or UPS.

I just checked 300MP, and a 12-ga 2-3/4" shell will hold about 200 grains. A full pound of 300MP powder can be shipped using 35 shells.

This isn't violating any rules or regulations, as far as I know. You're simply shipping blanks made with a poor choice of powder, and which are additionally defective because the shells aren't primed. I've no idea what would be the result of firing a "blank" made in this manner.

I'm also pretty sure this isn't original with me. It's not time efficient, but for occasional trial work with some powder that somebody across country will send you, it should work.

Some labels for printing: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=54456

Thoughts and opinions?

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:41 pm

pitted bore wrote:Since you guys brought it up, here's how to ship very small quantities of powder between individuals without going through the hazmat hassle:

The method probably can't be used by commercial firms, but between acquaintances it is workable.

A hazmat fee is required for powder and primers. However, there is no fee required for ammo including blank ammunition, although regulations call for putting an ORM-D or other approved label on the package.

To send your powder, you make up some shotshell blanks and ship them without the extra cost of hazmat. You can make a "blank" by filling a fired 12-ga shotshell almost to the top open end with powder, leaving enough of the tube empty above the powder level to form the crimp. Put put a circular piece of paper on top of the powder, and crimp the shell. The paper will keep the powder from leaking through the crimp. If you and recipient desire, the empty powder bottle can be enclosed in the package with the blanks, the bottle to be refilled at the destination.

The blanks have to be shipped UPS or Fed Ex ground. You will probably have to ship from an official UPS or FedEx office, not from some store that handles shipping as a sideline. I don't know about companies other than Fed Ex or UPS.

I just checked 300MP, and a 12-ga 2-3/4" shell will hold about 200 grains. A full pound of 300MP powder can be shipped using 35 shells.

This isn't violating any rules or regulations, as far as I know. You're simply shipping blanks made with a poor choice of powder, and which are additionally defective because the shells aren't primed. I've no idea what would be the result of firing a "blank" made in this manner.

I'm also pretty sure this isn't original with me. It's not time efficient, but for occasional trial work with some powder that somebody across country will send you, it should work.

Some labels for printing: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=54456

Thoughts and opinions?

--Bob

WAY-TO-GO, BOBBER!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat May 18, 2013 12:51 am

Well I finally found some. I started the day out heading to a doc apt 60 miles out of town. I had called sportsmans warehouse whi.ch is another 30 miles past that and they had 3# of the mp-300 left at $20 a pound. I had full intentions on buying all three. When we arrived they were all gone. I mean their shelves were BARE. NO BULLETS NO POWDER NOTHING. Bummed I figured we would hit the small shops on the way back. Well one of the shops had 4# but he wanted $28.99 per pound. I ended up buying 2# of it. If it works out well for my 300gr SST and my 300gr xtpmags ill defiantly get some more. Hopefully sportsmans will get some more at $20 per pound. They said they did not receive a shipment of anything this week. I also noticed another small shop is now only open 4 days a week due to lack of products. I wonder if the libs realize or care how they are effecting all these shop owners livelihood?
Stealthshooter

Postby LlindeX » Tue May 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Hey, that blank shotshell info. is fantastic. I've got a buddy in Okla. and I'm in Colo. We're all the time trading loading formulations and testing new things. I'd guess that method of shipping will come in very handy. And, by the way: The anti-gun zeolots know, they care, & the effects are exactly as they desire.

Regards,
LlindeX
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue May 28, 2013 11:42 pm

LlindeX wrote:Hey, that blank shotshell info. is fantastic. I've got a buddy in Okla. and I'm in Colo. We're all the time trading loading formulations and testing new things. I'd guess that method of shipping will come in very handy. And, by the way: The anti-gun zeolots know, they care, & the effects are exactly as they desire.

Regards,
LlindeX

Dittos to LlindeXs' comments.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b