Alliant 300-MP powder?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Alliant 300-MP powder?

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:17 pm

I was just wondering if anyone has tried Alliant 300-MP yet for the 450? From what I've been reading it's real close to IMR 4227. It's supposed to be a clean burning powder and it's also pretty reasonably priced.
Stealthshooter

Re: Alliant 300-MP powder?

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:16 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:I was just wondering if anyone has tried Alliant 300-MP yet for the 450? From what I've been reading it's real close to IMR 4227. It's supposed to be a clean burning powder and it's also pretty reasonably priced.

I never actually read about it until you just mentioned it. Two days after another foot of snow fell and I'm looking out the window at another 6-9 that is just beginning, so I haven't even gotten in the mood for some reloading. It's not covered in my QL version, so I can't model it, but if I can find some locally, I'd give it a try. Problem right now is availability of powder locally thanks to the lemmings gobbling up anything ammunition or reloading related, as fast as it hits the shelves. I'll make some calls tomorrow.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:09 pm

I'm going to see if the local shop has any tomorrow. It really does show promise.......I use the 460 S&W to compare sometimes when I can't find load info for a certain powder in the 450 bushy. When I checked the 46o sure seems to like this powder. It also looks like it's much easier to ignite that H110 which is a plus even if it only shoots the same as H110 I'll use it instead.
Stealthshooter

Postby wildcatter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:I'm going to see if the local shop has any tomorrow. It really does show promise.......I use the 460 S&W to compare sometimes when I can't find load info for a certain powder in the 450 bushy. When I checked the 46o sure seems to like this powder. It also looks like it's much easier to ignite that H110 which is a plus even if it only shoots the same as H110 I'll use it instead.

Yup, it's good stuff, a little slower than 4227, and not as good for max performance, as lil-gun is, but I like it allot, not all that less in speeds but far less in chamber pressures, which I like allot. Get it, you'll love it, though a little inefficient using the lighter bullets (as if 230grs is light, is that something only we can say) and for the heavier bullets, it will excel..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Stealthshooter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 am

No luck finding any local. How about Hoot?
Stealthshooter

Postby Hoot » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:30 am

Stealthshooter wrote:No luck finding any local. How about Hoot?

Between the hoarders and the scalpers, if you're not in the store when powder comes off the truck, you're SOL. I have feelers out with the local scouts. That's a double-edged sword though. If the local scalpers know you're looking for something, they'll locate some and then contact you saying "I'll sell you a bottle for 2x the going price, but they won't tell you where they found it.
Fear of the unknown has brought out the true colors of a lot of shooting enthusiasts. Some times that color is brown. :roll:

They pass themselves off as savvy businessmen. So do pushers and pimps.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 am

This is kinda funny. No sooner did I write the previous post than I got a text message on my phone from one of the local "good guy" scouts. A place about 20 minutes from here has three bottles in stock. I'll swing by on my way home from work and get one. If shipping wasn't so prohibitive, I'd pick one up for you also. In all honesty, I've cheated the 11th commandment several times recently with what I've shipped. Each time I wondered if this was the one where my luck runs out. Given my job relies upon keeping a very "clean nose", I've vowed off tempting fate. :|

The issue of matching that powder to an appropriate bullet does pose a problem. I'm not a buffalo, grizzly, big hog hunter, so I don't usually pursue bullet weights that are ridiculous for white tails. I have about 25) 300gr DeepCurls and about 15) 300gr SST/ML to test with and that will be it. A lot of members have been good to me in my time of need. If I'm blown away by the results from the bullets I have, I may, repeat may, pick some up more heavies for the benefit of their enthusiasts here.
As I said, my version of QuickLoad does not have the data file for 300-MP, so I can't do much advance modeling. Just common sense. WC, do you have a recommended starting load for 300 grainers, not designed for someone who has unlimited supplies of new 450b's?

Hoot
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:32 pm

Hoot wrote:This is kinda funny. No sooner did I write the previous post than I got a text message on my phone from one of the local "good guy" scouts. A place about 20 minutes from here has three bottles in stock. I'll swing by on my way home from work and get one. If shipping wasn't so prohibitive, I'd pick one up for you also. In all honesty, I've cheated the 11th commandment several times recently with what I've shipped. Each time I wondered if this was the one where my luck runs out. Given my job relies upon keeping a very "clean nose", I've vowed off tempting fate. :|

The issue of matching that powder to an appropriate bullet does pose a problem. I'm not a buffalo, grizzly, big hog hunter, so I don't usually pursue bullet weights that are ridiculous for white tails. I have about 25) 300gr DeepCurls and about 15) 300gr SST/ML to test with and that will be it. A lot of members have been good to me in my time of need. If I'm blown away by the results from the bullets I have, I may, repeat may, pick some up more heavies for the benefit of their enthusiasts here.
As I said, my version of QuickLoad does not have the data file for 300-MP, so I can't do much advance modeling. Just common sense. WC, do you have a recommended starting load for 300 grainers, not designed for someone who has unlimited supplies of new 450b's?

Hoot

I do, "Looks" like a good safe starting charge should be 25gr with a Speer 300 gr UCSP. You'll prolly make it to 30gr+ before you are done. But, thoroughly check the first shot round to make sure everything is to your std's..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:34 pm

wildcatter wrote:I do, "Looks" like a good safe starting charge should be 25gr with a Speer 300 gr UCSP. You'll prolly make it to 30gr+ before you are done. But, thoroughly check the first shot round to make sure everything is to your std's..

..t

I'm glad you set me straight. Looking at translations from 460 S&W using 300MP, gave me the impression that a good starting point for our caliber would be about 34 gr. Alliant recommended 38 gr for the 460 S&W pushing the Speer 300 Gold Dot, so 34 seemed like a logical starting point for the 450b. Boy was I off.

Hopefully the next update to QL will include the 300-MP. The current data set as of December 2012 did not. I sure wish that the author of QL would produce a changelog file that potential upgrade customers could look at before committing to buy it and in the list, he would declare what new powders were being added. I imagine a lot of CFE223 fans would like to see that one supported as well. It seems to be catching on like wildfire in several calibers as well.

My secondary interest in 300-MP is for reloading the 7.62x40WT. Despite having a small step down neck, it seems to favor the same straight-walled powders as the 450b.

I got the bottle of 300-MP on the way home from work and am now set to do my first range run. In a strange twist of fate, actual springlike weather is forecast for this weekend (60s to 70s and sunny) and I'm entertaining some trigger time. We'll see if I can get the new lower ready by then and get out with both calibers to do some characterizing. It's been a long, cold, lonely winter and anticipation is getting the best of me.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:I was just wondering if anyone has tried Alliant 300-MP yet for the 450? ...

I may have been the first person to try 300-MP in the 450B.

I didn't report the results from more than two-and-a-half years ago, because they were not encouraging. However, it's perhaps time to release them, so I wrote a description that turned out to be so long that it needs it's own thread.

(Link to thread: Some Early Trials of Alliant 300-MP Powder in the 450B.)
pitted bore

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b