Reloading Dies

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Reloading Dies

Postby southernshiver » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:40 am

New to reloading and have already acquired a lot of equipment for many of my toys or soon to have toys. The 2 that I'm looking forward to using the most is my S&W 460V and personally built 450b. I have reloading dies for my 460 and they both use the same caliber bullets just different brass. So, my question is am I able to use the same reloading dies from my 460 on the 450b? Thanks in advance for the info.
- SouthernShiver
CS

"Don't die for your country. Let the sorry SOB on the other side die for his."
"Gain and maintain fire superiority!"
southernshiver

Re: Reloading Dies

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:59 am

You can use the seating die for sure. I checked this with Hornady, when I wanted a second one to seat 225 gr FTX bullets (and other weights), so that I didn't have to reset the die I use for the 250 gr FTX. I don't know about the others.

I suggest calling Hornady. I have found them to be very helpful on the phone or when contacted by email.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:51 am

When you compare the case dimensions of the two calibers

it is obvious that not only is the 460 a non-tapered case, but the diameter is also smaller along it's entire length.
The sizing die may be useful to implement a pre-taper at the mouth ala TiteNeck concept, but it would overwork the brass using it as a resizing die.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby southernshiver » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:11 am

wow thats great info thanks for the info and pictures Jim and Hoot
- SouthernShiver
CS

southernshiver

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:54 am

southernshiver wrote:New to reloading and have already acquired a lot of equipment for many of my toys or soon to have toys. The 2 that I'm looking forward to using the most is my S&W 460V and personally built 450b. I have reloading dies for my 460 and they both use the same caliber bullets just different brass. So, my question is am I able to use the same reloading dies from my 460 on the 450b? Thanks in advance for the info.

OK, There are a rules to reloading, that all of us follow, new or old reloaders. If followed you'll receive a lifetime of enjoyment.

First of all, realize that reloading is Dangerous, be careful and thoughtful, we'll help, but the responsibility is all on "You" and not some advice somebody gave you.

Secondly, get the latest Volume of Hornady's reloading Manual. It Has our cartridge in it and the 460's as well (The new Barnes Manual, which isn't out just yet, I think, has our cartridge featured in it.).

Thirdly, Read it and I mean Read It Again! Especially the theory in the front. Carry the book to work and read it there. Take it with you everywhere you go and read, read, and read some more, asking questions all along the trail.

Fourthly, after you have that Manual down Pat, buy others, and read them as well. You can't have too many manuals, Right Guys..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby southernshiver » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:20 pm

Wildcatter, Thanks for the info I'm going to order the hornady manual tonight. Currently I have a few caliber specific for my 460 and for my wife's 9mm, and a small magazine style one that actually came with my press. I haven't started loading anything yet just been reading the info that has been posted on here, the manuals I have, and watching a few youtube videos of setting up the dies. I'll definatly keep an eye out for the new barnes manual as well.

This month (June) is basically free (on much needed leave) for me to just read, and re-read these manuals and the information that is posted on here.
- SouthernShiver
CS

southernshiver

Postby pitted bore » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:52 pm

southernshiver-
As Jim-in-Houston points out, the seating die for the 450B and the 460S&W is the same. That die needs to be set up differently for the two cartridges.

Hornady, bless 'em, includes a generic set of instructions with the 450B die set. The pamphlet describes how to use the seater die with and without a crimp. Because the 450B headspaces on the case neck, the roll crimp that the Hornady seating die generates should not be used. The roll crimp is appropriate for the 460S&W, which headspaces on the rim of the case.

The 450B die set includes a taper crimp die, which you will need for reloading the 450B. Hornady's instruction pamphlet offers no information on how to use this die.

It's unfortunate and confusing for novices that Hornady provides instructions for producing an incorrect crimp, and no instructions for producing a correct one.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby southernshiver » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Bob,
Where can I find instructions on producing the tappered crimp? Thanks for your input also.
- SouthernShiver
CS

southernshiver

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:00 pm

southernshiver wrote:Bob,
Where can I find instructions on producing the tappered crimp? Thanks for your input also.

Die #4 in the set of Hornady BM450 dies produces the tapered crimp. Although an earlier thread on this board indicated that the die set did not contain instructions for this die, it must be in there. I was able to set it up the die to produce the required tapered crimp, and I had never reloaded before. Unfortunately, my instructions for this die, if they are in the instructions for the die set, are put away with my reloading gear. It is accessible, but only with some effort.

Note, do not use the seating die (die #2) to crimp the 450 brass. It produces a roll crimp, which is not appropriate for this round. Follow the instructions in the die set for setting up the seating die to work without applying a crimp.

Die #3, which is designed to slightly flare the case to facilitate seating the bullet, is not required. The bullet will seat without it, when you use the seating die without flaring.

If you still can't find the instructions (and no one else posts them), post again and I will dig out my copy of the instructions and check them again.

I
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby pitted bore » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:09 am

Jim in Houston wrote:Die #4 in the set of Hornady BM450 dies produces the tapered crimp. Although an earlier thread on this board indicated that the die set did not contain instructions for this die, it must be in there. I was able to set it up the die to produce the required tapered crimp, and I had never reloaded before. Unfortunately, my instructions for this die, if they are in the instructions for the die set, are put away with my reloading gear. It is accessible, but only with some effort.

Hi Jim-
I'll bet you won't be able to find the instructions for the taper crimp die. Remember your post from April 2011 in this thread: Okay... ready to start reloading for the Hornady 250 FTX ?
Jim in Houston wrote: ... What do you use the fourth die for in the Hornady die set? I can readily identify the sizing/decapping, seating, and expander dies, but not the other one, which is one piece and has a hole all the way through it. I called the Hornady tech department, and my understanding is that it is used to push the entire case through to get it round again, in case it is a little oval? Is that correct? When do I need to use it, e.g., do I need to run every case through it just to check, or only those that may be visibly out of round? Since most other die sets only have three (or even two) dies, not sure if it is really necessary. BTW, the "instructions" that come with the die set don't even mention this die. ...

Ever since bushmaster.net was created (four years + one week ago), several forum members including myself have been posting mild gripes about Hornady's lack of instructions for the taper crimp die . Here's a thread from four years ago with a sample gripe: Best 450 BM Dies?

I hope your reloading efforts continue with success.
-- Bob
pitted bore

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b