Barnes XPB 200 Grain

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Barnes XPB 200 Grain

Postby Edward78 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:46 pm

I just picked up the rest of the stuff I need to reload for the 450b some Lil Gun Powder and WSR Primer's I already have 200gr Hornady FTX and 250gr FTX and some 300gr Hornady XTP Mag bullets to load and try out. Today I noticed these Barnes bullets the are kinda expensive of course but thought they should hold up well at higher velocity's. Has anyone tried these yet out of a 450 yet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=179484
Ed
Edward78

Re: Barnes XPB 200 Grain

Postby pitted bore » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Edward78 wrote:Today I noticed these Barnes bullets the are kinda expensive of course but thought they should hold up well at higher velocity's. Has anyone tried these yet out of a 450 yet.

Edward78-

Some forum members have tried them, and have found accuracy lacking. Here some threads in which the 200-grain Barnes XPB bullet has been discussed. (NOTE: you may have do dig into the threads a bit to find the specifics of this bullet.)

Load data for .450B with Barnes 200 Gr. XPB]

Hornady's new bullets

Barnes Bullets

200 gr FTx

(There is one second-hand report of good accuracy.)

If you try them, let us know how they perform for you.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Siringo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:07 pm

In my opinion -- part of the problem with the 200 gr. Barnes is they are so short for the caliber and being somewhat pointed -- have little bearing surface. With the chamber of the 450 having .10" (?) freebore and a diameter of .452", the .4505" Barnes (this is what mine measure) bounce back and for before they hit the rifling. They really do not get a nice good straight start.
Siringo

Postby Edward78 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks for the replies and the links I did buy 1 box of 20 as part of a purchase with a gift card so it gives me something to play with at least for just some powder and primers. I will let everyone know how they work.
Ed
Edward78

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Siringo wrote:In my opinion -- part of the problem with the 200 gr. Barnes is they are so short for the caliber and being somewhat pointed -- have little bearing surface. With the chamber of the 450 having .10" (?) freebore and a diameter of .452", the .4505" Barnes (this is what mine measure) bounce back and for before they hit the rifling. They really do not get a nice good straight start.

No Doubt you are probably right. FYI.. The Freebore is exactly .200"..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Siringo wrote:In my opinion -- part of the problem with the 200 gr. Barnes is they are so short for the caliber and being somewhat pointed -- have little bearing surface. With the chamber of the 450 having .10" (?) freebore and a diameter of .452", the .4505" Barnes (this is what mine measure) bounce back and for before they hit the rifling. They really do not get a nice good straight start.

No Doubt you are probably right. My self, as long as it shoots Minute of Grizzle, I'm Happy. I don't look at the 450b as a bench rest weapon, but then again you can't tell some, in theses parts, that have had incredible accuracy, that it isn't a wonderfully, benchrest type, accurate cartridge. So, what do I know? I need some things I shoot, dead, as in really dead and in a real hurry. If the bullet has the right construction, speed kills, even if accuracy suffers, but as long as I can then-therefore hit, my intended target, ding, ding, ding. FYI.. The Freebore is exactly .200"..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:16 pm

Well I guessed it was .18", but thought to be on the conservative to make my point. I get what you are saying T, but I like a wee it better than minute of Griss, just to compensate for my own inaccuracies or shakes! AND -- I hope never to run into a Griss in MN -- then again, wasn't Jeremiah Johnson from MN -- especially with the last name of Johnson.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:37 am

Siringo wrote:Well I guessed it was .18", but thought to be on the conservative to make my point. I get what you are saying T, but I like a wee it better than minute of Griss, just to compensate for my own inaccuracies or shakes! AND -- I hope never to run into a Griss in MN -- then again, wasn't Jeremiah Johnson from MN -- especially with the last name of Johnson.

The fact that there doesn't seem to be any Griz in MN, is proof positive that your ballistic recipes are working, very well indeed..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Return to Reloading for the 450b