Ramshot Loading Data for the 450B

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Ramshot Loading Data for the 450B

Postby pitted bore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:53 pm

I cannot find that this source of loading data has been referred to or posted previously on this site; if it has, my apologies for duplication.

The Ramshot reloading manual, which I think is dated 7-2-13 (July 2? Feb 7?) has a set of very helpful reloading data for the 450 Bushmaster cartridge. The data tables include pressure measurements, something Hornady does not furnish with its handbooks.

Data are included for these powders:
  • Accurate No. 9
  • Accurate 4100
  • Accurate 5744
  • Accurate 1680
  • Ramshot Enforcer

Bullets listed include:
  • 200 gr Hornady FTX
  • 200 gr Sierra FPJ
  • 225 gr Hornady FTX
  • 230 gr Sierra FMJ
  • 250 gr Nosler HP
  • 300 gr Hornady XTP
  • 325 gr Barnes Buster
Notice that there are four bullets lighter than the lightest for which Hornady reports loading data, and one bullet that is heavier the heaviest in Hornady's manual.

The tables include starting loads & velocities, and max loads with pressures and velocities for most combinations of powder and bullet.

Test environment: Barrel: 16”; Twist: 1-24”; Primer: WIN WSR; Bullet Diameter: 0.451”; Case: Hornady; Max Case Length: 1.700”; Trim Length: 1.695".

The manual can be read or downloaded as a pdf file from the Ramshot website: http://www.ramshot.com . The list of loading data for the 450B is on page 53.

I think the data are really helpful. Thanks, Ramshot/Accurate.

--Bob
pitted bore

Re: Ramshot Loading Data for the 450B

Postby tbirdman74 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:30 pm

That's some good info PB, hadn't seen it in there before.
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Postby Hopalong » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:07 am

Yeah, thanks PB. Looks like that data is a bit less conservative that Hornady's, at first glance. Particularly with the 300gr bullets. I've got some room to work with 1680 and those blem bullets... Not that I won't be careful, but I had no pressure signs with the max Hornady load, right where accuracy really improved.

Hop
Hopalong

Postby TacoTaco » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:42 am

It's nice to see "official" data starting to trickle out.

One thing of note though, is that they don't seem to be utilizing the entire mag length--they seem to be worried more about seating the bullet to the cannelure rather than take advantage of the full 2.25" that they have at there disposal. You can squeeze a little more velocity out of the round and keep pressures in check if you take advantage of the entire mag.
TacoTaco

Return to Reloading for the 450b