Primers?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Primers?

Postby kobraken » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:41 am

What are the options on primers? I know everyone has they're favorites, but I would like options because of availability issues. Thanks, ken
Here piggy,piggy,piggy, I got something for you.
kobraken

Re: Primers?

Postby mnhornet » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:15 pm

I use Magtech SR's they work fine.
I don't load anything too special, 200gr ftx over a modest/light charge of Lil gun.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby kottke_35 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:40 pm

The consensus has typically been remington 7 1/2 for accuracy, speed, and reliable ignition. I have had decent luck with federal gold medal match 205 primers as well. Don't have a cronograph tho so I can't speak to speed or sd.

B .

Edited:
Any good hot small rifle primer should work well.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby wildcatter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:54 pm

That's like asking which is better, a blond, brunette, or redhead??

Anything that makes the cartridge go Boom will work just fine and just about all of the modern day primers satisfy that requirement. If you don't get Hang-Fires you're good to go.

Buuttt and this is a Big BUT, you need to define your Mission, many powder/primer combinations work better for a given Mission, but then you've got to define "Better".

For large volumes of mid to slow burning powder, coupled with cold weather, a hot primer, may be what is needed. A hot primer is one that has the best Brisance (look here to get the idea - http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html). Also, a High Brisance Primer usually, but not always, is what is needed for higher accuracy.

The horsepower edge (higher Brisance) generally goes to the Federal 215 Large Rifle Primer and the Remy 7 1/2's kinda get the edge for the Small Rifle Primer. But these two suggestions don't even come close to telling the Tale of the Tape. Quite Frankly, I use them all. What every I can get the most of and Bang for the Buck($$) is what I use. But, then again I'm just happy with Minute-of-Grizzle.

Playing with Primer combinations can bet very tedious, though rewarding, depending on the defined mission. But as I said, defining the Mission Profile goes a long way to narrowing the choices.

Hoot and some others, look to accuracy and have some definite suggestions and they are correct in their suggestions. However, the truth be told is you're going to have to either do allot of experimentation from your weapon or just buy a ton of whatever is available and be happy with the results, across the Performance Spectrum.

If I were to recommend just one primer to start with I'd be wrong. It'd be like saying that Texas Sheep Dawg, must only date women with "X" color hair.

But, if you can buy a case (5000 pcs) of Remmy 7 1/2's it be a very good starting place. With a case, resupply might not be such a problem. But, I'd be just as happy just a happy with case of standard CCI small rifle (#400's I think), but then I am not to picky, unless it's my Nose!!

If I can get 2 MOA I'm happy. 2 moa is 900yds on an 18" kill zone (full grown deer-kill zone is 18"). Now, I don't plan to hunt at 900yds, and I say I can get to within 300yds of any animal on the planet, under any condition. So, you see, I'm more interested in Terminal Results for 0-300yds and I have taken shots over 500yds. My personal questions are mostly in and around the supposition of.."when I get to the target, do I have enough Horsepower/Accuracy to absolutely Bang-Flop the animal in question, with a LARGE amount of miscalculations, on my part, both in accuracy and terminal performance..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Nosparks » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:05 pm

I started with CCI's (400's) and had no issues, then moved to Rem 7 1/2's and again no issues. But there is a definite differences in the way they act. As WC said you need to tested out your loads till you find your "mission specific" load.
My current favorite is FTX 225gr, 38.5gr LILgun, and Rem 7 1/2's. I don't have a chrony so I shoot for accuracy. This gives me clover leafs at 100 yards.
Nosparks

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:16 am

I did a comparison of Rem 7-1/2, CCI400, and WSR against OEM rounds here -http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13526&p=42129&hilit=cci+400#p42129.

From that post, " The WSR's gave the best groups, but the others weren't bad (for me - I am not a really good group shooter), but the Remingtons had higher overall velocities." I posted a table of velocities and photos of the groups I shot with each.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby randyf » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:04 am

Doesn't anyone one use CCI #41 ???

It's the go to primer I use in an AR.
randyf

Postby wildcatter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:51 pm

randyf wrote:Doesn't anyone one use CCI #41 ???

It's the go to primer I use in an AR.

Shore nuff, 41's are just fine and under some respects, might be the real primer of choice. With it's thicker cup it does have a safety factor better that Front Line, Store bought..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:02 pm

randyf wrote:Doesn't anyone one use CCI #41 ??? It's the go to primer I use in an AR.

randyf-
I used the CCI #41 when testing 160-grain bullets in a series of tests in 2011. These tests were reportedin this forum. The primers worked fine with my bolt rifles, especially with the 1903 Springfield, which like most WWI-era rifles is designed to give primers a mighty whack.
--Bob
pitted bore

Return to Reloading for the 450b