Interest in 230 grain .45 fmj flat points

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Interest in 230 grain .45 fmj flat points

Postby BW460 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:43 am

I spoke this morning with Joe, the owner of Precision Delta in Mississippi. What a great guy. He almost had me convinced to move to Mississippi! They make some great bullets for reloading. I had sent him a note and asked him if he would consider making their 230 grain .45 FMJ bullets in a flat point profile instead of the round nose. Joe called me to talk about it. He sounded like he would very much consider it. However, he was trying to figure out if there was a market for them. He said his machine makes 60,000 bullets a day! He would have to take it off line for about a day to re-tool it for the flat points. He sells the 230 grain round nose bullets for $137 per thousand so that would cost him over $8000 in lost revenue to make the transition. He didn’t say what he would want for the flat points but I am assuming it would be close to what he sells the round noses for. I would love to tell him that there is definitely a market among the 450b crowd. I would definitely buy 4,000 bullets and was wondering if any of you would be interested and, if so, about how many you would consider buying. I’m not taking an order here, I’m just trying to gauge interest so I can give some feedback to Joe. By the way, I bought a cannelure tool from Corbin for a little over $150. That allows me to use this same bullet in my 45 acp, 454 Cassul, 45 Colt, 460 S&W mag, and now in the 450b! Very cool!

So, if you would be interested in buying some 230 grain .45 FMJ flat point bullets, give me an idea of about how many (in units of 1000) so I can let Joe know what kind of interest there is for this. If I can prove to him there is a market, I think he'll start making them.

Thanks,
Woody
BW460

Re: Interest in 230 grain .45 fmj flat points

Postby jerdebson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:51 pm

I may be interested in the near future but for right now cann't commit. Money flowing like water out on the 450C conversion and preparing for The new 9mm build. The discounts look interesting if you can buy in larger quanity. I will watch this with interest.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby MarkCO » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:29 pm

Sure, I would buy a few thousand. The Nosler Sporting is the only FP jacketed bullet I have tried, and it worked well enough to give it a go.
MarkCO

Postby Siringo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:18 am

What diameter? I would only be interested if they are .452".
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:35 am

Of course I am a fan of none expanding flat points and FMJ's with hard enough lead guts and thicker jackets can meet my requirements. The requirements I feel this need to satisfy is based in a Mission Statement. .."think of .4515" flat points as expanded 300 mag, 338 mags and or even .375 mags, that will also penetrate deeply".. so, soft lead guts with thin jackets wont meet these requirements. But if designed correctly a .4515" FP will disrupt far more tissue than an expanded .300, .338, .375, could ever hope for!

I designed the 325gr Barns Busters, which sport "Hard lead" and .050" jackets +- (I forget the final jacket thickness, just now) The BB is a FMJ/FP. But they are quite expensive and prolly unnecessarily heavy for average size pigs & deer. Don't get me wrong the Barnes Busters are the go to bullets for most uses, but I'd love a 230gr Barnes Buster type bullet.
So, the questions for me, are how hard is he willing to make the guts and how thick will he make the jackets. My needs are for an inexpensive none expanding FP. If I can gets these requirements satisfied, with emphases on the inexpensive, my initial order could be measured in the 25,000 pcs area.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BW460 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Thanks for the great feedback. I've passed these comments along. I'll let you know how he responds.

Woody
BW460

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:39 am

I'm going to parakeet what T is concerned with. Jacket thickness & hardness and lead hardness. Diameter is also of interest. But if I can use them in my Thumper, my Commander and my G21, I would drop $140.00 for a thousand.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Smooth » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:28 pm

Very interested sounds like something I have been looking for.
"You actually think that criminals will obey gun control laws?
You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"
Sam Elliott
Smooth

Postby kottke_35 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:06 am

I'd probably spring for 1,000 myself.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby LlindeX » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Yea, sure a cheaper FMJ plinking round would be interesting for me. However, I'd be more interested in a flat faced soft pt. with thick walls and hard lead core so they'd be legal for hunting as well as targets. I see WC's point about the terminal effectiveness of a flat-point bullet in our caliber; but our Game Dept. just doesn't agree.
What I'm talking about is basically a copper jacketed "flying ashtray". Sierra used to make something like that, but I can't find them today. Anyone else looking for, or found, the same?
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Return to Reloading for the 450b