300 grain SST

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

300 grain SST

Postby Siringo » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:27 pm

Does anyone have any real world game performance using 300 grain SST bullets. A buddy was shooting them out of a shotgun (Hornady ammo) traveling the same speeds as we can propel them --- but it sure seems they never opened up. Exit hole was the same as the entrance hole. Sorry -- no pictures, but I did inspect the 3 deer he had hanging. All pass thru shots, 25 to 75 yards thru the body (Iowa deer).
Siringo

Re: 300 grain SST

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:32 pm

I have shot 2 deer with my 450 and 300 sst so far. I must say I have never seen a deer hit the ground like that before. The last one was 250+ yards away and quartered away. The bullet went clear through with an exit hole roughly 1" in diam with little meat loss. IMO I don't see the need to use anything else for my hunting loads.
Stealthshooter

Postby ardenkent » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:21 pm

I have 4 deer with the 300 gr in a 12 gauge sabot.
All pass thrus with exit holes proportional to the stricken tissue resistance.
Three were chest cavity shots, lungs and hearts, small exit wound and covered a few yards before collapsing.
One was a bang flop neck shot. Bigger exit hole.

I have 5 with the 250 gr in a 50 cal sabot.
Again all pass thrus, not more than an inch in diameter.
4 bang flops from high shoulder or neck hits.
5th was a paralyzing spine shot requiring a dispatch shot.
ardenkent

Postby wildcatter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:07 pm

Ok Guys, Keep in mind for most of this we shoot, we don't need any expansion at all.

Fact; The 45 cal at rest is already bigger in dia. than any 30cal gets after expansion.
Fact; same same, for the .338" caliber
Fact; same same, for the .375" caliber
Fact; And the above expanded bullets will not penetrate much at all after expansion. Expansion dramatically slows them down.
Fact; The .4515" 300gr ftx in non-expanded form has a nice pointy shape that when plowing through tissue, disrupts more total tissue than the listed bullets could ever hope to achieve!! And with so much penetration, you can decide any issue at all when the bullet gets there, try that with a 300 Magnum!!
Fact; What's to be concerned about.."massive tissue disruption, 300gr's of bone crushing penetration coupled with Bang-Flop". Talk about .."The best of both Worlds"!!

Leaving the Expansion Qualities of the 300's to much more Thicker Skinned/Dangerous Game, like TSD's Waskley-Wabbits..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Return to Reloading for the 450b