Range Report Remington 230 Grain Brass FMJ

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Range Report Remington 230 Grain Brass FMJ

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:00 pm

I am Texas Sheepdawg. My warnings are clear. I will confirm that my R&D on these rounds are pushing the envelope.
What worked in my AR15 will NOT work in your AR 15. My AR is unique. I strongly advise in all of my posts on the 230 Grain FMJ to start low at 38.0 grains of LilGun and work your load up. Know your chamber. INTIMATELY.
All of my loads were developed with the help of Timothy LeGendre almost literally looking over my shoulder.
My advice to all of you is this. Do NOT use my current R&D data for the 230 Grain FMJs for any rifle with a 1:16 twist. That data is intended ONLY for AR15s with the 1:24 TWIST.
YOU’VE BEEN ADVISED.

image.jpg
WX
image.jpg (52.23 KiB) Viewed 37688 times

It was a pretty nice day today, but the wind out at my place was a bit higher than I wanted. Down in Ebola Central, (Dallas), they were only reporting winds out of the northeast at around 9mph, but up here closer to OK., I was getting gusts up to 20-25 miles an hour, out of the east northeast so that was putting a considerable crosswind over my range. I was not in top shooting form. I had been at work all night, so I was beat, plus I had a sinus headache. But I've put this range test off for too long. So I popped about 800Mg of ibuprofen and sucked it up. I set up a target and then attempted to set up my Chrony and other stuff but the goats were way too curious about what I was up to, so I had to set off a firecracker to send them hustling to the barn.
So anyway, these are Remington 230 Grain FMJs. They have brass jackets, not copper. I found them for I think $22 a bag of 100. I figured that if I could get the copper jackets to perform like I did, maybe these would do the same and have a stiffer jacket. The results were less than stellar in some respects, yet I do honestly feel like I really didn't do my part today as far as accuracy is concerned so I'm just going to say that as far as accuracy, I'm going to have to revisit that part of the project later when I'm not so fatigued. As far as function and performance, they cycled well and they held together well down range. Penetration was as expected and they literally caused one of my stacks of sand filled tires to lean over a bit after penetrating the railroad ties. They hit very hard. But the grouping is where I started to have concerns. But since I was not feeling all that great, accuracy is just something that will have to be revisited.
So here's the details and results.
WARNING. These loads exceed SAAMI pressure Specs.
This data is for informational purposes only. This group and myself DO NOT recommend that anyone push their loads this hard. My rifle is different that others. What works safely in my rifle may not be safe in your rifle.
Remington 230 Gr FMJ RN (brass jacket) .451"
450 Bushmaster cases 3X fired+
WSR primers
44.5 gr LilGun
COL 2.125"
Lightly taper crimped then LeGendre Side crimped followed by a final taper crimp to .474"-.475"
Range to target, 100 yards.
Chrony F1 set at 10 feet from muzzle.
10 shots fired in two different strings of five rounds each.
First string
2610 FPS
AVG FPS 2561
ES 77.57
SD 30.21
----------
Second String
2573 FPS

AVG 2514 FPS
ES 93.82
SD 37.05
All cases ejected at about 2:30-3:00 O'clock
All cases experienced some mild sooting and slightly flattened primers.
But there were no ejector or extractor markings. Which probably means that I need to back off just a bit.
The interesting anomaly here is the slow reduction in FPS as each shot progressed.
As for accuracy, every shot hit the target in a diameter that would kill any large creature grave yard dead at 100 yards.
But as for ragged holes. Not today.
image.jpg
Remington 230FMJbrassjack
image.jpg (782.34 KiB) Viewed 37695 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: Range Report Remington 230 Grain Brass FMJ

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:48 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (40.41 KiB) Viewed 37688 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Sorry for all the typos. I was totally exhausted. And I even forgot about the steel plate. I didn't try a penetration test. That test will have to be on a day when I feel better and can set up the cameras. I still feel pretty run down today.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby kottke_35 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:47 pm

Looks like you'll have to give this one another go! See if those groups tighten up any.

Thanks for all the work TSD!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Hoot » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:50 am

Dawg, I need a favor.
I'm working on an article which you could help with. If you still have those hot load, empty cases segregated from the rest of your stash. Clean them whichever way you normaly do. Resize them, clean off the lube and see if they pass the "thunk test".
Thanks,
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:09 am

Hoot wrote:Dawg, I need a favor.
I'm working on an article which you could help with. If you still have those hot load, empty cases segregated from the rest of your stash. Clean them whichever way you normaly do. Resize them, clean off the lube and see if they pass the "thunk test".
Thanks,
Hoot

Okay. They are segregated.
They are in the tumbler now and I should be able to update you by noon today.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Hoot. Check your email.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:48 am

Hoot wrote:Dawg, I need a favor.
Thanks,
Hoot

Hoot, did you ever get my response to this request?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:51 am

Here's the results of the test that Hoot wanted me to perform. I figured you guys might find it interesting.
My procedure. Rifle condition.
The chamber had been previously dry brushed and run through with a dry "Bore Snake".
The chamber and bore were clear from all visible debris.
No oils or solvents were used.
The cases are Hornady.
10 count.
3X+ reloaded.
The cases were decapped, tumbled, washed, **tested, resized, tumbled, washed then tested again.
First Test**
The first test was just out of curiosity. After I had decapped and tumbled the brass but not resized it, I cleaned then tried to thunk the cases. They fell into the chamber almost 99% of the way home before stopping. A slight push with my thumb an extra maybe .070" put the empty cases "home".
The resistance "felt" as if it was coming from the back side of the case, as there was zero side to side movement in the area of the case heads.
Second Test
(After being resized)
Seven out of 10 cleaned and resized cases thunked crisply when I dropped them in the chamber and either fell free when I turned rifle upside down or with a slight bump with the palm of my hand on the side of the receiver. The other three cases fell softly but did not thunk, and landed into the chamber with almost no sound. However, when I tried to use my finger to push the resized case the rest of the way into the chamber it was already "home". And while it would not fall out when I turned the rifle upside down or with a bump with my palm, Using a cleaning rod down the bore and just barely touching the case, it would fall out.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby kottke_35 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:53 am

That is an interesting observation TSD. Thanks for sharing.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b