Range Report COP200 Bullets & LilGun

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Range Report COP200 Bullets & LilGun

Postby kottke_35 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:23 pm

nickdeannow wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I hate looking for brass.

Get a Caldwell brass catcher for $10. I have every single piece of 450 brass I've ever shot. I even strap on the brass catcher when hunting.

^^^ what he said. I use it for the range as well as shooting prairie dogs too.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:20 am

Hoot wrote:We had an atypical few days of December weather late last week, culminating in a damp, misty, 48 degrees Sunday next to the ice covered lake at the range. Wanting to put the old vs newer powder lot theory to rest, I finally shot my last experimental loads of the season, it being 3.4 degrees as I write this (More normal). I was able to chrony the loads, but accuracy was so abysmal that I left the targets at the range. They were soaking wet from the mist and given the unusual warm day in December, the range was very busy with other shooters. Didn't want to make everybody stop shooting while I waded through the muck to retrieve them. I'm about to get ready for work, but will publish the velocities later in the day,

Hoot

You know, Hoot.... I think that was part of my problem back when I tested those 230grain Remington Brass FMJs. I definitely did not feel like I was in my groove. While my Chronograph part of the test went as expected, I personally felt that I was the cause of the sloppy groups. I'm going to have to whip out my 22s and Gretchen and work on my form.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:09 am

nickdeannow wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I hate looking for brass.

Get a Caldwell brass catcher for $10. I have every single piece of 450 brass I've ever shot. I even strap on the brass catcher when hunting.

I read the reviews of that brass catcher. I'm not sure it could hold up to these TX winds.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby texrider » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:30 pm

Image Image Finally got a water shot yesterday. Shot was from 25 yds. Went thru 4 jugs and stayed in the 5th. Obliterated the first 2.
Recovered base was 108gr and only found one of the petals. The Barnes were much prettier and I would think probably keep a little more mass at the base even if the petals did break off. Now to see if Hoot gets similar results.
texrider

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:41 am

That'll be a while coming. I'd have to fill the jugs with hot water, drive to the range, shovel out a spot to shoot, set them up and try to get the shot off before they began to freeze. One of the drawbacks of living in "The Land of the Wind Chill Factor". ;)

Looking at that bullet, it appears to be from softer copper than the Barnes are made from. With such a gaping hollow point compared to the Barnes, it's no wonder that it shed the petals. The flip to that is it would probably deploy the petals at a further range (less velocity) than the Barnes work at.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby texrider » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:17 am

Yes, it probably wouldn't make thru near s many frozen jugs. ;) I would agree on all counts. I'll see if I can get a 100 yd shot when I get some more jugs saved up.
texrider

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:32 am

texrider wrote:Yes, it probably wouldn't make thru near s many frozen jugs. ;) I would agree on all counts. I'll see if I can get a 100 yd shot when I get some more jugs saved up.

Given the BC and muzzle velocity, you can calculate the velocity at 100 yards. Then you load up rounds with reduced powder charge and filler to simulate the 100 yard velocity, right out of the muzzle. Lot easier to hit the jugs straight on and not lose the bullet when your shooting them directly in front of you. Nothing more frustrating than to lose the bullet after it destroyed the jugs because it veered off to one side. Been there...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:33 pm

texrider wrote: Finally got a water shot yesterday. Shot was from 25 yds. Went thru 4 jugs and stayed in the 5th. Obliterated the first 2.
Recovered base was 108gr and only found one of the petals. The Barnes were much prettier and I would think probably keep a little more mass at the base even if the petals did break off. Now to see if Hoot gets similar results.

In this caliber only, loosing the petals can be a very good thing. There certainly is enough, of the De-petaled bullet to assure proper penetration and tissue destruction, and the petals make great Secondary Missiles..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby texrider » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:22 pm

Image Image
Here's the 100yd shot. 198.7gr Went thru 3 jugs and stopped in the forth. First 2 still exploded, but keeping the petals slowed it down this time. Velocity for that shot was 2496fps. Ave for the group was 2500fps with 38gr LilGun.
I would say the COP will probably expand better at longer ranges than Barnes. But, Barnes will win out on accuracy cause I get some flyers with the COP. Then again, my barrel may not be the best suited for the light bullets.
texrider

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:29 am

Hoot, have you done any further testing on this? What's the results of charges over 39 Grains?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b