Rifle twist discussion thread

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Rifle twist discussion thread

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:31 am

I've shot my share of 450b, 5-shot 100yd groups over the years. To date, the 225gr FTX has consistently been the bullet of choice in my two 1:24 barrels. Interestingly, for the time that I had a 1:16 barrel, I could not find any of my previously established 1:24 recipes that it liked. It is now someone else's barrel. Earlier this year, I did test some Brass Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrators Link that set a new high bar for good groups however. While the latter was remarkable, the initial loading were a little hotter than I like to run my AR based rifles, it was just being in the right place at the right time in terms of starting recipe. The 225 FTX has shined bright for many different charge weights for over 8 years.

Example:

Reloading results can some times be anecdotal. I tested bullets that started off like stepping in a cow pie, only to wind up being pretty darn good once I found the Optimum Charge Weight that my specific setup liked. I consider the time spent working up recipes to have high entertainment value as well as a means to an end but that's just me.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:44 pm

I found the video where I’m shooting the 230 grain full metal jacket flat point Hornady in my single shot New Englander from BK GunsNStuff and chrome that load that went over 2700 FPS. This is why I keep telling everybody to back down for the one in 16 twist.
https://youtu.be/NCtoHXuLj5k
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby LabattRED » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:56 am

I see lots of posts about 1:16, 1:24, and even some 1:32 barrels out there. However, I haven't seen much regarding the fast twist (1:10) Ruger No.1 barrels. Anyone have experience with these and/or issues?
LabattRED

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b