How to charge powder?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

How to charge powder?

Postby jeepjal » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:38 pm

How are you'll charging powder to the brass? I'm planning on using lee turret to load for the 450BM, but brass doesn't fit in the rifle charging die. Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.
jeepjal

Re: How to charge powder?

Postby Hoot » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:53 am

Welcome aboard!

I'm no help as I use side by side single stage presses and weigh every charge using a Lyman 1200 DPS-3. I dispense with the pan that has a funnel built into it. I would think that a progressive loader that works with 45 ACP or 45 Colt would also work with the diameter of the 450b case, but I'm not educated on progressive presses, other than a MEC Grabber I used to load for trap and skeet back in the 80's and 90's.

I'm sure members more knowledgeable then I will wade in. Good Luck

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:28 am

I'm a single stage guy also, dump powder with a RCBS or Redding measure, not sure if those would be adaptable to the Lee or if pulling the case out to charge would be a option.
Al in Mi

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Try Hornady Loader on YouTube - Here is his video on batch loading, but he has about 50 others. If these don't answer your question, subscribe to his channel and ask him a question. I think he is pretty good - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7_NhJFjs0c
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Kobyashu » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:42 am

I have the Lee Progressive 1000, and use the .45acp shell plate. It works well.
Kobyashu

Postby pitted bore » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:09 pm

jeepjal wrote:How are you'll charging powder to the brass? I'm planning on using lee turret to load for the 450BM, but brass doesn't fit in the rifle charging die. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

jeepjal-
I hope you return to check on this thread. Here are a couple of questions that if answered may permit more helpful advice.

I don't believe Lee makes a 450B die set, so may we assume you are attempting to use the Hornady or CH4D die set?

If the sizing die occupies the first position in the Lee turret, then the powder charging die is in the second position, right?

For what cartridge is your rifle charging die made?

Just curious.

Here is a video that demonstrates turret press usage, including use of a funne in place of a Lee charging die:
Youtube: Lee Classic Turret Press, Setting up for Rifle Reloading

--Bob
pitted bore

Return to Reloading for the 450b