Trailboss powder

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Trailboss powder

Postby Cutright » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:57 pm

Has anyone tried plinking loads with Trailboss powder? I was wondering if it will cycle the action
Cutright

Re: Trailboss powder

Postby pitted bore » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:50 pm

Cutright wrote:Has anyone tried plinking loads with Trailboss powder? I was wondering if it will cycle the action

Cutright-
There have been several threads on the forum discussing the results of using Trailboss. No loads tried were capable of cycling the action.
Some of these threads may be useful if you haven't read them yet:

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:45 am

When I was doing my water shot tests with Barnes XPB bullets, I was able to reduce loads of Lil Gun in order to create reduced velocity that would occur out at different distances, by using filler. In my case, grits with a disk made by separating a sheet of toilet paper carefully into it's two plies. There are other types of filler. If you choose to follow this path, do a lot of reading as there are bad choices for filler that might not on face value, seem like it. Lot of material online about this. Just google it.

I took a spent 450b case that had shrunk too far to be reloaded and chucked it in a drill, then spun it while laying a small piece of fine sandpaper, affixed to a small piece of scrap wood, to the mouth to sharpen it to make a paper punch. I dropped the charge and tamped it lightly flat in the bottom of a case, carefully dropped the tissue separator down in, making sure it was laying flat and filled the remaining space with grits up to where the bottom of a seated bullet would rest. I then seated and taper crimped the bullet into place. None of that is new technology. Been done for many years. What was impressive, was how low a charge of Lil Gun that would repeatedly eject spent cases in a carbine length gas system. This is an important detail. The water shot tests were done by easing one shot at a time into the chamber. I was not trying to establish just how low a charge would successfully extract and chamber another round from the magazine, so the strip and charge portion of the cycle has not been tested.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Cutright » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:08 am

Well you guys are correct, but I had to try. A full load of Trailboss (15gr) will NOT cycle the action
Cutright

Postby Cutright » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:24 am

Any information on Red Dot or Blue Dot loads for a 230gr RN plinking load? Trying to use up some old powder/bullets!
Cutright

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Cutright wrote:Any information on Red Dot or Blue Dot loads for a 230gr RN plinking load? Trying to use up some old powder/bullets!

You're headed in the wrong direction. If you have some rifle powder that is too slow, like 4895, Varget, BLC-2, 748, in that range, you may be able to get it to cycle with 100% charge. Still going to throw unused powder out, but if you're just trying to use it up, who cares.

Faster pistol powders will not fill the case up to a safe level before reaching maximum pressure, though Blue Dot comes close. That is, assuming you don't want to bother with using a filler.
I failed to mention earlier that with organic fillers, there is a mess left in the chamber leade that requires cleaning in as little as every 2-3 shots. Wasn't a factor doing small shot quantity water tests.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b