AOL and velocity

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: AOL and velocity

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:58 pm

plant_one wrote:hot diggity. thats something else.

so if i read right, your seating depth is ~ ½ bullet diamater? or about .225? seems reasonable - that's enough bullet in that case to get a good grip on her :)

Hoot kinda thinks that way but I'll let him clarify. At the time, I was seating the bullet to make sure they fit in the magazine and passed the "Thunk" test. I also used both, the factory load OAL, and my Magtech FMJs OAL as a factor. It wasn't until several months later I got my OAL gauge so I could better measure my chamber.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Cutright » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:01 pm

With my AOL guage I had the 300gr XTP's hitting at 2.195". Will I have loading problems with the flat point being so close to the end of the mag? I enjoyed your 2011 thread and if I get an extra mag that I don't mind butchering it will make for a nice experiment. I would be worried that after a few days of hunting the tips would have some damage and the mag would be filled with dirt. But I am clumsy!
Cutright

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:49 pm

Cutright wrote:With my AOL guage I had the 300gr XTP's hitting at 2.195". Will I have loading problems with the flat point being so close to the end of the mag? I enjoyed your 2011 thread and if I get an extra mag that I don't mind butchering it will make for a nice experiment. I would be worried that after a few days of hunting the tips would have some damage and the mag would be filled with dirt. But I am clumsy!

I haven't yet experimented with the 300 grains. All of my testing has been delayed due to me being sick for the last few years. I'm hoping this summer, I can get caught up.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Cutright » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:32 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your illnesses. I am currently going through a bout of it myself and was told not to shoot at all and stay out of the woods. Basically stop everything I enjoy. I've enjoyed your past reports and videos and look foreword to you getting in the saddle and bringing more information.
Cutright

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:18 am

I spent the afternoon at my bench yesterday. I'm going to try a light LeGendre Side crimp on these 250 Grain shockwaves.
image.jpeg
Bench
image.jpeg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 15102 times

image.jpeg
Loads
image.jpeg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 15102 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:56 am

Great Minds Think Alike!

I have a rare earth magnet on the side of my press also. Mainly to hold the allen wrenches that dash for unseen places when they hit the floor. I use those Hornady locking rings on all my dies, though the Redding dies comes with a different style one. Hence two allen wrenches.

Special Request: Resize those monster images prior to hosting them please. I hate slider bars.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:16 am

I don't know how to resize the pics my iPhone takes.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:57 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I don't know how to resize the pics my iPhone takes.

We use our Iphone 5S' at work to document equipment and resize them all the time. Not sure if the same applies to the 6 though.
Select a picture in the Camera screen
Select Edit
Select the Crop icon. That alone can help reduce the raw image size.
Within the Crop screen there's a tiny rectangular icon on the right, above the Done
Select that rectangle and choose the size of the window you want it to fit in from the choices.
Select Done
This image was huge. Resized it to 5x3

Me giving Iphone instructions is the embodiment of "The Blind Leading the Blind." :roll:

Hate it, but have to carry it because my work provides it for free. Do not understand anywhere near what it can do, but its great for photo-documenting and of course Siri. Much prefer a plain Jane cellphone and a real computer. :|

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:46 am

things like phones & tablets are great for viewing content and creating a limited selection of it, but modifying and creating text based content is where they really start to fall short.

i've always used outside hosting sources like photobucket and Lightshot screenshot utility to host images i post to the web on forums and such, but again thats a little more difficult to do than uploading an image to the forum server here when posting with a phone/tablet.

usually what i do is photobucket upload to a private album from the phone, then use lightshot to screenshot and crop at the same time and store it on their free server (they let you create a personal upload page, and i thin kthey accept google login IIRC... been a while since i setup my account :oops: )

i'm with ya'll on the rare earth magnets too. although i'm using them for holding my mini LED flashlight on the side. My allen wrench for the shell plates stays in the shellplate bin on my bin rack that i keep most of the small parts and my most commonly used die sets at quick access with the LNL bushings already on them.

[edit] this above is a lightshot hosted photo like i was talkinga bout.
plant_one

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:30 am

Let's see if I did this right.
image.jpeg
Monsters on a slab.
image.jpeg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 15084 times

That's my 5x3
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg