.451 bullets

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: .451 bullets

Postby Cutright » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:47 pm

Yes that is my next purchase. Those little buggers are hard to find in the grass
Cutright

Postby IceAxe » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:37 pm

Cutright wrote:On another note, does the location and distance of the spent cases give any valuable info on the loads? I've noticed a difference between loads as to where the brass lands

I've been told that the ejection vector it can be correlated to BCG speeds and thus to gassing. Normal speed/gas would eject at the 3 o'clock with the higher velocity BCG ejecting in the forward quadrant. With a slower BCG the case would clear the port while the BCG is still traveling rearward and be projected rearward. All else being the same, I would expect a higher gas load to project forward. If you get too much gas too early, you will start to pickup ejector swiping.

My 30 RAR is a good example, new, was swiping the brass on factory loads and throwing the brass in front of the gun, so I replaced the gas block with an adjustable GB and solved the issue and saved my brass. That being said I wouldn't be too concerned as long as I am getting reliable ejection and no swipes.
NRA Life
IceAxe

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:43 pm

IceAxe wrote:
Cutright wrote:On another note, does the location and distance of the spent cases give any valuable info on the loads? I've noticed a difference between loads as to where the brass lands

I've been told that the ejection vector it can be correlated to BCG speeds and thus to gassing. Normal speed/gas would eject at the 3 o'clock with the higher velocity BCG ejecting in the forward quadrant. With a slower BCG the case would clear the port while the BCG is still traveling rearward and be projected rearward. All else being the same, I would expect a higher gas load to project forward. If you get too much gas too early, you will start to pickup ejector swiping.

My 30 RAR is a good example, new, was swiping the brass on factory loads and throwing the brass in front of the gun, so I replaced the gas block with an adjustable GB and solved the issue and saved my brass. That being said I wouldn't be too concerned as long as I am getting reliable ejection and no swipes.

I saw a diagram on this the other day, but can't find that exact same one now. However, this one provides some additional info - https://www.google.com/search?q=bullet+ejection+quadrants+image&rlz=1T4GGLR_enUS597US598&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_17DrutrKAhXDOyYKHe31AQQQsAQIHA&biw=1920&bih=1005#imgrc=1bs2IQv5XdG0sM%3A. In short:

12 o'clock to 3 is an indication of overgassing
    3 o'clock to 4:30 is "perfect" ejection
    4:30 to 6 o'clock is short stroking

Possible causes / solutions are listed for each of the problem cases.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Cutright » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:08 pm

Another trip to the range and the results are the same. I loaded three different loads with LilGun (37, 37.5, and 38). I loaded 3 each with 250FTX and 250Barnes. On each set, the Barnes shot .5" wider and a little bit higher as well. I guess my gun likes the FTX better even if I like the Barnes. Either way, I'll be good. The 37gr load shot about .5" at 100yds. I like this gun more each time I shoot it!!
Cutright

Postby Cutright » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Midway has .460SW 275gr bullets clearanced at $15.35. They already discontinued the 200 gr ones, so these must be on their way out too
Cutright

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:05 pm

Cutright wrote:Midway has .460SW 275gr bullets clearanced at $15.35. They already discontinued the 200 gr ones, so these must be on their way out too

Anytime you see .451 Barnes XPB bullets for less than a buck apiece, that's a good deal. The tests I did with the 275's shot as accurate as the 200's, albeit a little slower, Given the need for velocity above 1800 fps if you want them to expand in soft tissue, not so critical if you hit something harder, the effective range will be less than the 200's, again if you want them to expand. From what I could tell under the B&L stereo micro-viewer, the two weights are identical in the front, where the expansion takes place. The 275's are longer in the rear, where it's solid copper.

If I were in the market for 275gr copper bullets for the 450b, I would be jumping on that deal.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b