which crimp die

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: which crimp die

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:09 pm

plant_one wrote:i'm pretty sure i saw a box of those at cabela's a week or two back. i'm lucky to be near the Dundee store - and drive past it every couple weeks - so i've usually got access to good options. I'll have to give them a whirl. see about getting a box of all three - the 225 ftx, the 250 ftx and the 300 XTP. cant say I've ever seen a box of the 240 XTP on the shelf before.

what do you consider "new" lil gun? most of mine is a year old or more.

OK, so you're in MI. You're in good company there. I try to avoid Cabelas whenever possible mostly because I'm cheap and they're not. Especially once you add in MN sales tax. Now that they are getting more powder on hand, that's not bad as the online solutions carry such a hefty shipping surcharge. I actually saw some Norma powder there the last time I was there to get some powder. We had a great local reloading shop. Its still there but having a heck of a time getting trickle down quantities of powder, primers and bullets reliably. It is so heartbreaking to see what they've become, I have only been there once in the last two years and that was to get a tin of Imperial case lube and another K&M flash hole deburring tool. Does anyone else make one that is a little harder as in Rockwell hardness? They seem to get dull pretty fast for a steel bit cutting brass. At least it seems like it. Was doing my 30RAR cases the other day and already, its displacing the brass instead of cutting it and no, it's not clogged.

Regular XTP's are 250gr. The XTP Mags are 240gr IIRC. The mag version with their thicker jackets, take the velocity better.

I don't know when Lil Gun changed. I do know that I was in the middle of a reloading project when it did and wound up with having to split my spread sheet sections into before and after on that range report. If I had several bottles or jugs that spans 2010 to present, I would load up a few representative rounds, striving to keep everything closely toleranced. Not at the top if the ladder loads for sure. The chrony will tell you your answer. While on that subject, don't get too worried about velocity SD's in the 50-70 range with this caliber. Its a mortar. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b