Need advice

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Need advice

Postby Yotehunter243 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:48 pm

Need a little help here. I'm not new to reloading (11 wildcat chambers) but I am new to straight wall cases.
Here is what I have
Resized my brass, chamfered inside and out, primed with 7 1/2 primers, 37gr H110 under 275gr Barnes seated to just fit in the mag. Now to the part I'm stumped on is the crimp. Do I need to crimp and if so how much? I've never had to crimp before.
Yotehunter243
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:32 am

Re: Need advice

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:44 pm

I crimp all mine till the case mouth is
472-.473ish
Al in Mi
 
Posts: 982
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Need advice

Postby Yotehunter243 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:47 pm

Al in Mi wrote:I crimp all mine till the case mouth is
472-.473ish


Thanks this is what I needed to know
Yotehunter243
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:32 am

Re: Need advice

Postby Hoot » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:08 am

These images are from posts here back a few years ago but give some insight to where best to place crimps on the XPB and TSX bullets:

Image

Which driving band groove you use is a matter of bullet weight (length). Given that the groove is narrower than most of the bullet, the taper crimp down into it will be deeper (narrower) than most taper crimps we use for straight wall bullets like the factory 250 FTX and ever narrower than when using cannelured bullets like the 200 ad 225 FTX and the 240 and 300 XTP Mags. Seat your bullet to take advantage of as much groove as possible. IE So that you can barely see it out past the mouth.

If you make a modified 45/70 Lee Factory Crimp die, a stab crimp down into the groove affords an even greater grasp of the bullet

Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Need advice

Postby Yotehunter243 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Hoot wrote:These images are from posts here back a few years ago but give some insight to where best to place crimps on the XPB and TSX bullets:

Image

Which driving band groove you use is a matter of bullet weight (length). Given that the groove is narrower than most of the bullet, the taper crimp down into it will be deeper (narrower) than most taper crimps we use for straight wall bullets like the factory 250 FTX and ever narrower than when using cannelured bullets like the 200 ad 225 FTX and the 240 and 300 XTP Mags. Seat your bullet to take advantage of as much groove as possible. IE So that you can barely see it out past the mouth.

If you make a modified 45/70 Lee Factory Crimp die, a stab crimp down into the groove affords an even greater grasp of the bullet

Image

Hoot


I was trying for my furthest forward band but I had to seat it just a hair past it to fit in my AR stoner mags.
Yotehunter243
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:32 am

Re: Need advice

Postby Hoot » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:43 pm

Yotehunter243 wrote:
I was trying for my furthest forward band but I had to seat it just a hair past it to fit in my AR stoner mags.


Driving band location must be one of the differences between the XPB and the TSX besides the quantity of them. If like the XPBs, the most forward groove ends where the bullet ojive begins, taper crimping there should afford a good hold on the bullet. I would definitely sort my cases by length to try and make sure the crimp is in the same place for each run of reloads. With the added weight that the 275 brings to the game over the 200, neck tension will not factor in as much in terms of initial pressure buildup. the 275 is a lot more body at rest mass.

I have to say that I'm speaking speculatively as all I have are XPB bullets. They always met my needs. What I would worry about when the taper crimp is riding just up out of the groove, would be that the bullet would pull a little forward when chambering so that the taper crimp was then over the air above the groove. That's assuming I understood what you meant about the location. "Worry" might be the wrong word there.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Need advice

Postby Yotehunter243 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:40 pm

The guy who builds all my rifles directed me to run my die down until I get a little resistance on the case. Then give it another 1/4 to 1/2 turn and leave it at that. Like I said I'm pretty new to the straight wall case but load several wildcats in the AR platform and never crimped before. On the upside I have a few hundred Cutting Edge 250gr bullets on the way.
Yotehunter243
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:32 am

Re: Need advice

Postby Yotehunter243 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:37 am

Image

Image

Here is how I have the seated
Yotehunter243
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:32 am

Re: Need advice

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:40 pm

I think most everyone uses the taper crimp to .475 / .476 or thereabouts. If you are crimping into a groove, you can go a little tighter. Many add the stab crimp, then taper crimp to remove any flare introduced in the case mouth by the stab crimp.

The Hornady seating die should be set up to seat the bullet without adding a crimp (which would be roll crimp and is not suitable for the straight wall case). Then use the Lee FCD die to add the stab crimp (optional) and / or use the Hornady taper crimp die to set the taper crimp.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
User avatar
Jim in Houston
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Need advice

Postby plant_one » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:55 pm

its times like this i wish LEE made a "factory crimp die" for this caliber :/
User avatar
plant_one
 
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: Oakland County, MI


Return to Reloading for the 450b

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests