Anyone try Acme Bullets?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Anyone try Acme Bullets?

Postby PJames » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:26 am

"One Good Shot--Is All I Need."
PJames

Re: Anyone try Acme Bullets?

Postby dantheman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:59 pm

That would be interesting to try if the rifles twist will work with that heavy of a bullet.

With 350 grains you're leaving 444 Marlin ballistics and approaching a 45-70's. I don't know if one could duplicate the 45-70 velocity though.

Dan
dantheman

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Umm...cast/lubed boolits are really not a good idea in an AR platform IRT the gas port/gas block operating system. Stability, due to the standard barrel twist rate, is also very questionable with a 350-grainer IMHO...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:22 pm

I'm not sure how I missed ths post back on Xmas eve, but I noticed it now. I suspect you could accommodate that bullet in a bolt action 450b, but it will not come as easy in an AR variant. I can't speak from personal experience, but from what I've read from a few members here who have dabbled with them, cast boolits and their gas checks have a bigger challenge in an AR platform, with it's gas sampling port. Those ports can be sizeable in the rifle length gas system which would in all likelihood be the best choice for a 350gr bullet. Not a good matchup for a carbine length gas system as they're going to be spending a lot of time in the bore as they amble along. Then there's the challenge of getting a good grip on them crimpwise. Not to enhance the propellant getting cooking as with light bullets, but to help reduce the bullet pulling when they're chambered from inertia.

Sounds to me like someone has a great project to try out and report back to the group on. Those bullets would probably align well with AA 5744 or 1680 and Rem 7 1/2 primers.

The best part of the journey is getting there.

Happy New Year

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby PJames » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:28 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Umm...cast/lubed boolits are really not a good idea in an AR platform IRT the gas port/gas block operating system. Stability, due to the standard barrel twist rate, is also very questionable with a 350-grainer IMHO...

I may disagree about cast in a AR I have a 300 Blk out that I have mostly shot 203gr cast bullets 1000 rounds and counting so far it's been ok. These 350 grain bullets are plan base no gas check. I may test them out in the 1:20 twist 450BM if they don't work out I'll shoot them in my 454 BFR :D
PJames

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:16 am

PJames wrote:
commander faschisto wrote:Umm...cast/lubed boolits are really not a good idea in an AR platform IRT the gas port/gas block operating system. Stability, due to the standard barrel twist rate, is also very questionable with a 350-grainer IMHO...

I may disagree about cast in a AR I have a 300 Blk out that I have mostly shot 203gr cast bullets 1000 rounds and counting so far it's been ok. These 350 grain bullets are plan base no gas check. I may test them out in the 1:20 twist 450BM if they don't work out I'll shoot them in my 454 BFR :D

Have you looked in your 300 Blk barrel with a borescope?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby PJames » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:55 am

Hoot wrote:
PJames wrote:

Have you looked in your 300 Blk barrel with a borescope?

Hoot

I don't have a bore scope but, I did have my gunsmith check it out with the scope. I pulled the gas block and all looked good. Bolt also has no build up after shooting 100 plus rounds. I was concerned about it but not anymore and what I have in the 300 blk money wise I'm not concerned to much if it ever goes to crap. Accuracy is still very good and it has been 100% reliable.
PJames

Postby plant_one » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:28 pm

203's, so you're shooting the palmettos coated ones?

and in the blackout those are subs, so whole different world than trying to shoot these lubed bullets as supers without being gas checked.

i would be legitimately concerned about leading without running something like these with a gas check.

FWIW - avoid lil gun, i can tell you from my BLK experience that supers + lil gun + cast (even properly coated bullets) = spraying molten lead out the end of the barrel. its just too hot of a powder. Switching to 4227 fixed that issue.

i had to scrape a coating of lead off the blast shield of my magnetospeed bayo. bleh.
plant_one

Postby Siringo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:54 am

I tried cast bullets years ago. What Hoot states is a solid summary. My issues were as follows:
1. Barrel Gas Port is LARGER than the depth of a gas check. The gas is expanding 2 to 3 times the velocity of the projectile in the barrel. When the gas check passes by the gas port, the gas comes around the check and dislodges the gas check on the bullet. I have pictures located somewhere on the forum. Also, of all the numerous lead bullets I collected ---- none of them had an intact check.
2. It is imperative that a gas check be used (although see above). Without the check, the gas would cut a divot in the base of the bullet as it passes the gas port. Although I never shot coated bullets ---- that would be an interesting test.
3. The 1"x24" twist is not conducive to accuracy with longer bullets.
4. With 300 grain WFN bullets I had significant slumping of the bullet nose. The profile changed and the bullet became shorter. The abrupt rise in pressure at ignition seems to be the culprit.

All these issues are the primary reason I just purchased the RAR in 450B. That rifle has a 1"x16" twist. Should handle the longer lead bullets just fine.
Siringo

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:40 am

Often in the evening, I find myself slumping at the computer. I suspect it is from starting out the day too fast. :lol: Sorry John, couldn't resist. ;)

Hoot
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b