Trying cast bullet in 450 BM!

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Trying cast bullet in 450 BM!

Postby engineer40 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:34 am

Hello all. I am new to the forum. Although I have read through most of the cast bullet posts, at least I think I have. I understand the problem is the gas checks.

I finally ordered some reloading dies for the 450 BM. They should be here by tomorrow.

I already have a few different kinds of .452 jacketed bullets to try since I already load for my 460S&W Magnum rifle.

However I did order some 340gr cast bullets that I am looking forward to trying. They do not have a gas check but are rated up to 454 Casull pressures. I emailed the guy asking if any customers have been using them in a 460S&W Mag. His response was, yes quite a few people are. And that he only states "454 Casull" on his website to be conservative. So at least if they don't work in the 450 BM I can at least try them in my other rifle as well.

Here is a quote from his webpage: "The Casull Alloy was developed for this bullet. starting with a 21 Bhn alloy and then adding a 2% silver based alloy increases the strength and ductility of the alloy and makes this bullet nearly indestructible on any game animals. Velocity rated to 2100 fps. there is no need for any gascheck."

I'm a little worried that it wont feed well with the wide metplate.

Do you guys think this bullet is worth trying in the 450 BM or am I wasting my time? Thanks all!
engineer40

Re: Trying cast bullet in 450 BM!

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:17 am

You won't have to worry about exceeding 2100fps in a 16" upper lobbing those 340 grainers. If that's a 1:24 twist barrel, it may not be optimum for them however. There's already a thread going about the perils of nude lead bullets in this caliber, but "life is for learning".

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby engineer40 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks Hoot!

Most of the 45 cal bullets without gas checks that I was able to find were not nearly as hard as the 21 Bhn that these are listed at. Do you think that could help?

Also load data is scarce for heavier lead bullets in the 450 BM. I really have no idea where to even start.

Worst case scenario if my 450 BM won't shoot them, I can hopefully use them in my 460 S&W Mag rifle still. That has a 1:16 twist.

I would love it if they would work in the 450 BM as they are only about 20 cents each. Cheapest I've seen jacketed bullets that can shoot in the 450 BM is around 30 cents each. But we will see I guess!
engineer40

Postby Quack Addict » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:38 pm

With the hard alloy and Bushmaster pressures, I'd be worried about gas cutting and barrel leading. Hard bullets don't "obturate" (swell to fill the bore) so the propellant gas blows past and solders lead onto the rifling.

What are the bullets sized at? If at .451/452", I don't think you'll be happy with the results.
Quack Addict

Return to Reloading for the 450b