new 450 bullet option coming soon

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: new 450 bullet option coming soon

Postby Pig_Popper » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:49 pm

I forgot to ask for a cannelure - after I run through this first set of 50 I'll ask to have that added along with any other changes based on results.

I'm hopeful they just flat out work and that a cannelure is all that needs to be added.

I'm excited to give these a whirl - as others mentioned the XPBs are pricey and the other 200 grain bullets seem to be mostly pistol (stubby hollow point) profiles.
I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Postby Dino2575 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi Guys, just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself. I own and operate fury bullet co...just want to let you know that I am always available for questions, comments, ideas, or otherwise..my website is in its infancy, but I'm getting product and options added as time allows..my tooling is extensive and I'm always happy to talk bullets..pm, email, phone, open forum..doesn't matter..thanks Dennis
Dino2575

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Dino2575 wrote:Hi Guys, just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself. I own and operate fury bullet co...just want to let you know that I am always available for questions, comments, ideas, or otherwise..my website is in its infancy, but I'm getting product and options added as time allows..my tooling is extensive and I'm always happy to talk bullets..pm, email, phone, open forum..doesn't matter..thanks Dennis

Welcome aboard Dino!

Can you impart a cannelure before final resize, so that it doesn't create a high spot on the outer corners? The DIY rollers I've seen, cause some of the displaced copper to rise up at the corners.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Dino2575 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi hoot..yes final resize is no problem after cannelure..I will usually do a light swage after running a deep groove. Typically if well done a re size is not necessary. On my power machine I will specify groove depth and width to diemaker.. That way the roller contacts bullet on both sides as groove is rolled in and no re size is necessary. D
Dino2575

Postby Pig_Popper » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:49 am

The bullets arrived today, I weighed all 50 of them and they were all within 1 grain, lowest was 198.9 and highest was 200.4 but the majority (45) were within a grain of eachother. The bullet is quite stubby, I'll need to cipher on this for load development - I may want to try some different powders with this one.

Here are the bullets, in no particular order :)

I loaded up 10 of the 200 grain cannelure bullets to test for velocity, 5 are loaded with Lil'Gun and 5 are loaded with Accurate 5744.

Seating to the top of the cannelure and taper crimping to .476" the COAL is ~ 2.158"

I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Postby Pig_Popper » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:18 pm

...and here is how the Fury Custom Bullets stack up against the Hornady FTX and MonoFlex

I won't be slinging these into pigs this weekend, again just test firing the 200grain cannelure to see how they perform

More to follow...
I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Postby Hoot » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:28 pm

Good camera work!

A good example of how much shorter non-hollow point bullets are for the same weight. Given the cannelure location of that 200gr Fury that sure doesn't leave much bullet in the case for alignment if you catch the cannelure at the mouth with a taper crimp. Causes several concerns to sneak into my head about longer range accuracy (tilt and jump). That being said, results trump theory. A cannelured 210gr might be a better long range candidate, but I await your results.

Again, nice work!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby SAGERATER » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Have some Fury 275 gr, cann & serrated on the way. Pic looks great. Next batch will be cann/serrated/bonded.

A good ways to keep bullets straight is to seat part way, rotate 180°, fully seat...this will usually keep runout to a minimum

This being a hunting weapon, not sure how jump/misalignment will affect accuracy...all those factors DO cause some group enlargement, but how much is debatable and needs a lot of testing. One minute of deer is a fairly large area and one minute of pig is much smaller but I've never shot a pig much over 50 yds except with a large cal highly tuned rifle/ammo...this "thumper" will certainly do the job with two MOA accuracy within 100-150 yds

Best way to ensure highest accuracy is to bench prep the rifle AND ammo which, again, might be way above the AR-15 pay grade and tough to do in a hunting rifle.

I bench prep all my weapons as far as I can, but in a loosey-goosey AR it's difficult especially when the lower is used for several uppers.

All weapons are individuals so if you are fortunate and work diligently you can overcome most "accuracy problems" areas.
SAGERATER

Postby Pig_Popper » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:56 pm

I fired 8 rounds today (4 of each) the 200 grain cannelures.

I'll mark today as a lesson learned on reloading for 450 Bushmaster , let me explain further and perhaps someone here has experienced the same.

Recently I acquired some three times reloaded brass that was pulled down and shipped to me as components. Out barrels are the same make and the brass looked fine and was still primed with WSRs. I recieved the Fury bullets Thursday and that left little time to waste so I loaded the cases with powder , seated the bullet , and crimped them.

If I had not had a chrony running today I would not have been able to detect any difference in the recoil impulse of the rifle.

All shooting was 100 yards , 54 degrees and a light wind from 5 o'clock to my shooting position.

40 grains of Lil'Gun yielded;

2450 FPS / 2506 FPS (at this point I'm thinking Damn I'm Good

2225 FPS / 2044 FPS the fifth round wouldn't chamber.

Again the rifle felt the same through all shots and the grouping at 100 yards look like this:

Will upload photo tomorrow ( 2-3 MOA)

Brass looked like this:

Will upload tomorrow

I couldn't get the next 5 test rounds to chamber it seemed as though the chamber fouled so I cleaned the gun inspected the parts reassembled and while loads didn't "thunk cleanly" I was able to coax them in and fire 4 of the Accurate 5744 loads.

42 grains of Accurate 5744 yielded:

2155 FPS / 2228 / 2278 / 2202

There was significant unburnt powder left in the barrel, so much so I ran a patch through between rounds 2 and 3 which I believe shows in the grouping .

The group looked like this:

Will upload tomorrow

The brass looked like this (one primer backed out slightly)

Will upload tomorrow

I finished out the day by cleaning the gun again and shooting my 250 gr Monoflex hand loads which yielded the following velocities

2187 FPS / 2278 / 2168

My overall observations and questions and comments are as follows -

1) don't take shortcuts , I know I should have resized the brass before loading it - I assumed it that this contributed to the wide spread in velocity BUT the 4 loads of Accurate were within my norms... Certainly it attributed to tight chambering

2) western powder guide shows higher velocity for the 42 grain charge weight (2273 FPS) - could the shortcut above cost me FPS ? With the displaced primer I wonder if loosening pockets are common on 3-4th loaded brass , what are y'all seeing with yours. Certainly i hope it isn't a pressure sign with the unburnt powder and below max charge weight ...

3) the monoflex reloads were factory new (resized out of the box) primed with WSR and tamper crimped to ~ .477" - the variance in velocity is new to me for this caliber however it doesn't seem to translate to effecting accuracy or consistency. I've shot 25 of these reloads and they are sub-MOA and print consistently in the same spot (1 1/2 high at 100 yards). I'm documenting this load and groups in another thread.

So my game plan is to use factory fresh brass and do this test over again with 40 grains of Lil'Gun , I'll do 5 cannelured and 5 not cannelured but seated to the same COAL.
I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:06 pm

Pig_Popper wrote:...snip.. I know I should have resized the brass before loading it...

Ding Ding Ding! Image

Been there, done that. Live and learn...

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b