new 450 bullet option coming soon

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: new 450 bullet option coming soon

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:46 am

Hoot wrote:
Pig_Popper wrote:...snip.. I know I should have resized the brass before loading it...

Ding Ding Ding! Image

Been there, done that. Live and learn...

Hoot

same here with any rounds I pull down, I even reprime with new, basically restart all over.
Al in Mi

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:31 am

Definitely agree with the resizing.

My thoughts:
I would say to check neck tension, cause there isn't a whole lot of bullet in that case, and try putting a .475 taper crimp on it, that should help a bit

Seat primers by hand (if you don't already), and feel the resistance. If there's not much resistance, mic the WSR and any other SR you have, see if others are bigger in diameter.

Western lists 5744 and a 200gr Sierra at 40.1gr to 44.5gr. So you should be fine starting at 42gr, cause the 200gr Sierra doesn't have much bullet in the case either. Measure how much of the bullet is in the case and let me know, I can measure the 200gr Sierra, and go from there.

Or skip 5744 altogether and go Lilgun.
Bmt85

Postby Dino2575 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:10 pm

I did some velocity and expansion testing today..mgm 19" barrel 1:16 twist. I fired these into damp cardboard bales..penetration was 26-30 inches
250 grain ar bullet bonded..soft pure lead core.
Avg velocity 2270
242 gr. Avg retained weight
The bullet on the left was the only one not damaged by other bullets striking it. D
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (43.16 KiB) Viewed 9348 times
Dino2575

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Dino2575 wrote:I did some velocity and expansion testing today..mgm 19" barrel 1:16 twist. I fired these into damp cardboard bales..penetration was 26-30 inches
250 grain ar bullet bonded..soft pure lead core.
Avg velocity 2270
242 gr. Avg retained weight
The bullet on the left was the only one not damaged by other bullets striking it. D
image.jpeg

Tim would love that bullet! Conservative expansion, but the payoff is good weight retention and penetration to spare.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby coyote wacker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:53 am

A idea to make the 200gr. longer might be to put a large hollow in the base of the bullet..... Sort of like a Nosler Partition with no lead in the base half.

I've alway preferred a bullets that can have very close to it caliber seated in a case.
coyote wacker

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:08 pm

coyote wacker wrote:...snip...
I've always preferred a bullet that can have very close to its caliber seated in a case.

Doubly so if it has a long jump to the lands. Kinda getting started off on the right foot. There's preferred and then there's what you have to work with. They're not always hand in hand. I can live with 1/2 caliber but like others, I pause, relax the ram and rotate the case a third turn or so a couple times during the seating thrust. Yeah that slows it down, but you reap what you sow. If you don't feel I'm hopeless yet, bear in mind I do that during resizing also to try and get them as coaxial as possible. The downward resistance results in the cases binding more to the shell holder and not self centering if you just pound them.

All these little tricks yield little improvements, but enough of them add up to better SD's and groups if I do my part behind the trigger. While this is no a BR caliber, I try to not break protocol regardless of what caliber I am loading. Gets to a point where taking care is an effortless task as long as there's good tunes on the radio and my coffee isn't cold. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b