new 450 bullet option coming soon

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

new 450 bullet option coming soon

Postby Rwood » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:04 pm

A local guy here in Michigan who is my local snap on dealer has started fury bullet company and is looking to jump into the 450 market as well as other calibers. He has had several bullets do quite well and has been making them for a few years now. He dropped off a couple of samples for me to check out and shoot and has asked me if i would review them for him beyond his initial testing of them. I'm going to be giving a full review as soon as i can find some time to get them loaded up and shoot over the chrono. Im not getting paid for this review but i am being given all the bullets for free to do the review with, just wanna kinda toss that out there lol. I was given three bullets that i'm going to be able to review to kinda show off an put out there to see thoughts on them. There will be the option to get any of these bullets in 200 up to 300 or maybe even 325 grain from what i'm being told and also bonded or not will be a choice as well as a couple jacket thickness options. These first ones i'm showing right now are in 250 grains and based off an ftx profile. From left to right they are serrated style, Lead soft point style and a non serrated ftx design. Ill be shooting the non serrated version first because he had some guys down south want them for hog hunting so since it was setup i got some samples of those to start. As soon as i can get some results ill be doing an entire write up on them.
Attachments
20170109_183305.jpg
20170109_183305.jpg (48.21 KiB) Viewed 17448 times
20170109_183321.jpg
20170109_183321.jpg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 17448 times
Rwood

Re: new 450 bullet option coming soon

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Looks interesting. Any idea on pricing? I'm sure it changes with every option, but can at least try to ballpark it.
Bmt85

Postby Rwood » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:00 pm

Had a chance to speak with dennis today and he says it will be about the same for any of the three bullets. $32.00 for 50 or $35.50 for 50 bonded and he says they are currently up on his website for sale now at www.furycustombullets.com. Im hoping to get some loaded and fired this weekend but depends on the weather been a bunch of rain and crappy weather this way so its all up to mother nature at this point.
Rwood

Postby Hoot » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:49 am

Rwood wrote:Had a chance to speak with dennis today and he says it will be about the same for any of the three bullets. $32.00 for 50 or $35.50 for 50 bonded and he says they are currently up on his website for sale now at http://www.furycustombullets.com. Im hoping to get some loaded and fired this weekend but depends on the weather been a bunch of rain and crappy weather this way so its all up to mother nature at this point.

When you test them and assuming you got some of the ones with the large exposed lead tips (middle bullets in image), do a full bolt drop / feed from mag / chamber and before you shoot it, take it back out and see if that exposed lead gets dinged up during the ride. Another member had PM'd me about them a month or two ago and when I looked at them, it first reminded me of back when a few of us were experimenting with Swaging Bullets using soft annealed brass pistol cases (IIRC 40 S/W was best), with molten lead poured in them and resizing them to caliber, to serve as a source of bullets if supply dried up. Fun experiment, but incredibly labor intensive to the point where you'd have to be really desperate. Was also hard on the standard reloading presses. Anyway, the proof of concept was successful, but that was about it and I'm drifting off subject. Anyway, if you did get those big nose ones and if they get dinged, please take a picture or two for us. The point is that if the dings occur and they are minimal, then no harm no foul. However if they get dinged substantially, it could affect their accuracy at 100yds and beyond.

Thanks,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Rwood » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:30 pm

No problem hoot id like to get the three test samples loaded up as dummy rounds for chambering purposes then i want to load some of the batch he gave me and do some shooting over the same load i used this season. I was shooting 38 grains of lil gun, though this batch i got seems hot. anyways 38 grains with a bonded hornady ftx or shockwave whatever you want to call them. Ill take plenty of pics of the rounds loaded and chambered and ill be sure to mark the casing to show the top edge as well.
Rwood

Postby Pig_Popper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Based on Rwoods post I initiated contact with Dennis at Fury bullets, learning occurred and an order for 50 200 grain bonded soft points was made.

I'll update as this develops.

Starting load will be 38.0 grains of Lil'Gun - I will load develop trying for 2500 FPS on the chrony.
I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:52 am

Pig_Popper wrote:Based on Rwoods post I initiated contact with Dennis at Fury bullets, learning occurred and an order for 50 200 grain bonded soft points was made.

I'll update as this develops.

Starting load will be 38.0 grains of Lil'Gun - I will load develop trying for 2500 FPS on the chrony.

I asked Dennis about a 200gr and he said it was doable.

Looking forward to a report
Al in Mi

Postby jason » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:04 pm

They look fun! it is always nice to have more choices in projectiles suited for the capabilities of the 450bm. I am interested in terminal performance at higher velocities. I currently use the 225ftx but theyre not exactly suited for deer at 2500+fps. I have been a big fan of the XPB's but theyre a bit pricey. Perhaps these can be a good compromise. I would love to have the traditional JSP option.
jason

Postby pitted bore » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Is there a possibility that a cannelure could be applied to a 200-grain bullet? It would help with making sure the bullet is held firmly at the case mouth using either the usual taper crimp or a side crimp.

(I could ask the maker myself, but getting a positive response may be more likely with persons who have already ordered some.)

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Bob, won't be a problem I'm sure. Dennis and I have exchanged a bunch of ideas over the last few months.
Al in Mi

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b