New here with a couple of questions

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

New here with a couple of questions

Postby R-15 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Hey folks. I'm new to the forum but not at all new to reloading. I've been doing a lot of reading here and there's some very interesting stuff. I'm not loading for the 450B yet but plan to before long. My rifle is a Remington R-15.

So - I've seen references to a reloading database here but haven't found it. Where is that?

I would also,like to find a bullet that might be more suitable for dangerous game (think brown bear as the most extreme) out to 75 yards. I'm not sure how the FTX 250 grain factory load would handle that. What suggestions do you have for that kind of bullet?
R-15

Re: New here with a couple of questions

Postby Bmt85 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:13 pm

I think found the database, but not much there. A lot of people have tried a bunch of different bullets and loads, try searching the forum, or ask.

As far as bullets for a brown bear, I want to say the hornady 250gr ftx factory ammo has been used for grizzly and bison, but I would recommend at least a 275gr TSX or XPB. I used the TSX on a 220lb black bear last year and was really impressed. Not a perfect shot, but still severed the aorta (and I believe part of the trachea), destroyed a third of the off side lung, exit hole the size of a cue ball, and started to pull the lung out the exit hole. Shot was at 45yds, he rolled and kicked about 6-8ft, then he was done.

I'll have to double check my notes for powder charges.
Last edited by Bmt85 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Bmt85 wrote:...snip...I would recommend at least a 275gr TSX or XPB...snip.

and Welcome Aboard!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:15 pm

R-15 wrote:I would also,like to find a bullet that might be more suitable for dangerous game (think brown bear as the most extreme) out to 75 yards. I'm not sure how the FTX 250 grain factory load would handle that. What suggestions do you have for that kind of bullet?

With the 250 gr FTX range is very important, as energy drops off quite rapidly. I know for a fact that two shots will not take down an elk at 200 yards. If you stick to 75 yards or less, you should be OK, but take the recommendations on the TSX of XPB, rather than the FTX.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby jgilesg » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Hey All,
I'm new here as well (but have been reading for awhile) I figured I would add to this string rather than start a new one. I have been reading and searching and have about 1/2 of paper printed with what I felt was important reloading info.
I'm thinking I have it pretty much down but want to get the opinion of the group if I'm on the right track, (my eyes have gone cross a few times reading everything) Here's my info and where I think I'm heading. Gunna do some pig hunting soon so I am going to start with copper, good ole CA.

Colt AR lower
Bartz 16" upper 1:24 Ross Brake
Barnes 275 g XPB
Lil Gun powder. start with 36gr up to 40gr or until impacts tighten up or see any brass stress
Rem 7 1/2 primer
taper crimp into driving band groove
COL 2.29

I have also ordered 100 of the B TSX 275. Is the above info acceptable to start with for that projectiles as well?
I understand all information is "your own opinion" and understand I am responsible for my own safety and research.
My hold harmless statement.
Thanks All
JG

jgilesg

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:19 pm

Welcome aboard JG.

Good choices. Did you run into an issue with the size of the colt pins? Seem to recall reading about them using different pin sizes or such, many years ago

Anyway.
stay the path you have chosen and it will pay off for you. I have not loaded the TSX variant but I doubt there's enough difference between them and the XPB, having seen them side by side. Can't say the same for Lil Gun. By my reckoning, the formula changed right about the time I did my 275XPB experiments with it. Subsequent experience seems to suggest that it runs a little faster these days. Still give it a try but if the pressure stacks up quickly, consider setting it aside for the 200gr XPB (my favorite all copper bullet in this caliber), dropping a powder speed and going that route with the 275's. Something like H110, Alliant 300MP or W296.

Good Luck and don't be shy about asking questions. Everyone had to start somewhere and folks around thee parts are always happy to help.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby jgilesg » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks for the info Hoot.
As far as the pins on the Colt, no issues at all, went together beautifully. Sadly I'm now looking into the crazy new laws in CA to keep all my AR's "Not Scary" to our State government.
I ordered a couple boxes of the 200gr XPB this morning as well. I don't necessarily need to throw 275gr at a pig, especially a CA pig, a 275-300 lb is a pretty good size pig in this state. There also seems to be some pretty good data on the 200gr XPB for me to reference. Looking forward to getting all the new toys (projectiles, powders) and play.
Appreciate all you guys out there and am grateful for all the help
JG
jgilesg

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Hoot, Colt did run different size pivot and takedown pins, along with larger fcg pins, years ago, now they are running standard sizes.

JG, I would say your good to go.
Bmt85

Return to Reloading for the 450b