Powder Coated Cast Bullet?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Powder Coated Cast Bullet?

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:55 pm

:lol:

I had a spare buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring, and fcg lying around. Saw a barrel on sale, and said, "why not?"!
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Bmt85 wrote::lol:

I had a spare buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring, and fcg lying around. Saw a barrel on sale, and said, "why not?"!

That's almost exactly how I wound up building my 7.62x40WT. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby engineer40 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:37 pm

I picked up 2 stripped lowers before the election last year "just in case". Recently I had my 450BM upper without a dedicated lower, so I had a thought... I'll just jump on Palmetto State's website quick and get a lower parts kit!

But then I saw a sweet 18 inch upper with a rifle length gas system for a fantastic deal.

So I ended up with 2 lower parts kits and a new upper!

It all happened so fast. I barely remember clicking "Add To Cart".
engineer40

Postby tech54K » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:35 am

engineer40 wrote:So I have a few hundred 340gr hard cast (21 Bhn) measuring .452 with no gas check. Penn bullets rates them for 454 Casull's and speeds up to 2100fps.

I've read about the issues many have with cast bullets from a semi auto 450 BM.

I went and got the equipment and components for powder coating tonight after work. Just ran my first batch. Not too bad for the super cheap Harbor Freight powder coating! I'm looking forward to trying them in my 450 BM.

Even if they fly straight, I'm a little worried that the large meplat won't let them feed consistently.

If anyone has any load suggestions, I'm open to listening! Thanks!

Update: I should add that I have Lil Gun, H110, and IMR4227 available to use at this time. Thanks!

Good job in for this project. How much would it cost if I am going to build a powder coating equipment?
tech54K

Postby plant_one » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:39 am

if you use the right stuff, you can powder coat bullets for under $50 worth of equipment.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... 1b501d6286
^^ this method uses a butter tub or Tupperware (tight fitting lid required!)

get some 1/8" hardware cloth (wire mesh) to make a basket to bake them in and yardsale yourself a toaster oven to cook them with.

if you get the 400* TGIC powder from powder by the pound, this makes it ez peazy - just make sure you temp verify your oven before you bake a batch :) some of the cheaper toaster ovens arent known for their accuracy and you may need to adjust accordingly

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/honey-copper.html

this is just one example powder - they have DOZENS of options for you and one of those 2oz packs will coat a LOT of bullets

HTH
plant_one

Postby Jorgescar69 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:26 pm

So it's now 2019...
How did they shoot?
Jorgescar69

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b