Primers

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Primers

Postby mcb » Mon May 01, 2017 11:47 am

So what primers are you guys using with your 450 BM loads? Seems like the larger chargers of H110/W296 and Lil'gun would benefit from a hot primer. What works best so far for you?
mcb

Re: Primers

Postby Al in Mi » Mon May 01, 2017 1:22 pm

CCI 450 or Remmy 7 1/2's for me.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Mon May 01, 2017 8:28 pm

I've done well by Remington 7 1/2's. Never felt the urge to stray, though WSR's are a good second. Haven't tried CCI 450, so I can't compare them. Perhaps an opportunity for a Range Report there. Before getting into the 450b, I used a lot of Federal Gold Medal Match and BR4's. My very first batch of 450b loads way back when, started off with CCI BR4's. Trying to test the different primers based upon velocity SD is going to be a tough row to hoe in this caliber.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby mcb » Tue May 02, 2017 6:46 am

Thanks guys. My first reloads I loaded up I am using Winchester Small Rifle. I am stuck still waiting on my scope to show up so I can actually shoot my new 450 BM.
mcb

Postby plant_one » Tue May 02, 2017 9:54 pm

i get respectable results with cci 400's with lil gun. havent tried a magnum primer with it yet.
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Wed May 03, 2017 4:50 am

plant_one wrote:i get respectable results with cci 400's with lil gun. havent tried a magnum primer with it yet.

Given the observed behavior of Lil Gun lately, that might be a good way to mitigate its apparent faster turn on. Another opportunity for a Range Report.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby mcb » Wed May 03, 2017 6:50 am

That faster behavior I read about here is why my first test loads only use Lil'gun for the 230gr FMJ and 240gr XTP/MAG bullets I am trying. For the 300gr XTP/MAG I switched to H110.
mcb

Postby Hoot » Wed May 03, 2017 3:41 pm

mcb wrote:That faster behavior I read about here is why my first test loads only use Lil'gun for the 230gr FMJ and 240gr XTP/MAG bullets I am trying. For the 300gr XTP/MAG I switched to H110.

FWIW, it has been commented on around the net on many forums. Regardless, it looks like you made some good choices. I never felt like I "cracked the code" on the XTP's in terms of accuracy. Oh, I'd get a lucky group once in a while but they were more the exception than the rule. I tried both W296 and AA1680 on the 300's. Hope you do better.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Wed May 03, 2017 8:52 pm

mcb wrote:That faster behavior I read about here is why my first test loads only use Lil'gun for the 230gr FMJ and 240gr XTP/MAG bullets I am trying. For the 300gr XTP/MAG I switched to H110.

one thing to note about its 'faster behavior' that you read about with lil gun..... this is where things like proper load developement ladder testing come into play.

regardless of what the book says, if you use that data as a guide and not gospel - ie: not just loaded up a max charge becuase the book says its ok, or following someone elses pet load you found online - you'll never be surprised by a powder characteristics changing from lot to lot over time. you'll have tested it in your firearm and found out where your max loads are :)

i know this is a drum i beat over and over - but when it comes to reloading safety.... you really never can be TOOOO careful :)

fwiw - 300 XTP mags at max load (Hornady 9th data) with current production lil gun shows no signs of pressure in my gun, loaded with cci 400's. but they do pack one helluva wallop! lol probably the most recoil i've noticed in my 450 to date.

once i get out of 'its may, lets trout fish all the damn time' mode i may load some up with cci 41's or 450's and see if anything is significantly different. it'll be tough though, with a 3.8 lb rainbow in the freezer already though :)
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Thu May 04, 2017 4:54 am

plant_one wrote:...snip...
fwiw - 300 XTP mags at max load (Hornady 9th data) with current production lil gun shows no signs of pressure in my gun, loaded with cci 400's. but they do pack one helluva wallop! lol probably the most recoil i've noticed in my 450 to date....snip...

You should feel how those resized .458, 325 gr FTX's make an AR twist and shout, if you think those 300's do. I had them up to 2k fps with the primers just starting to get some flat to them, though no where close to "flattened" and Newton's ghost was standing in the shadows cheering! Too bad I ran out of the bullets before I saw case head growth above +.005 as there was room left for a few more ladder steps.

I really should get that Range Report done. They were the first heavyweights I ever saw good accuracy from in my 1:24 450b. 1680 over Rem 7 1/2's. Taper crimped into cannelure. Good match up, but in all honesty, they were a lot of work to make, compared to out-of-the-box bullets. Sooty as all get out, which told me they were slow getting up to pressure. Probably would have benefited velocity-wise with a stab crimp, but the accuracy was good and my brass were not scarred for life.

Hoot
Hoot

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b