Help with reloading lee 300g cast bullets in Ruger American

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Help with reloading lee 300g cast bullets in Ruger American

Postby Tripplebeards » Tue May 30, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi, first post! Just bought a Ruger American 450 bushmaster and casted up a ton of 300g bullets, powder coated and gas checked them. I am having the darnedest time finding any load data for cast bullets. I have h110 and w296 (same powder) and will look to find some lil gun. I have the Lyman number four which has nothing listed. Is there any published data for cast bullets in the 450BS? I was thinking to use the 460 s&w loads and work my way up? They are literally the same capacity and I plan on loading to the bottom crimp groove for more capacity.

I have read through a lot of the cast bullet posts here but none I could see with these bullets in a 1/16 twist.

Has anyone tried them yet in the Ruger American and If so what results? How fast or slow should I be pushing this bullet for best consistancy/ accuracy? My lead is 100% quenched Wheel weight lead and is powder coated and gas checked.
Tripplebeards

Re: Help with reloading lee 300g cast bullets in Ruger Ameri

Postby Hoot » Tue May 30, 2017 8:19 pm

Tripplebeards wrote:Hi, first post! Just bought a Ruger American 450 bushmaster and casted up a ton of 300g bullets, powder coated and gas checked them. I am having the darnedest time finding any load data for cast bullets. I have h110 and w296 (same powder) and will look to find some lil gun. I have the Lyman number four which has nothing listed. Is there any published data for cast bullets in the 450BS? I was thinking to use the 460 s&w loads and work my way up? They are literally the same capacity and I plan on loading to the bottom crimp groove for more capacity.

I have read through a lot of the cast bullet posts here but none I could see with these bullets in a 1/16 twist.

Has anyone tried them yet in the Ruger American and If so what results? How fast or slow should I be pushing this bullet for best consistancy/ accuracy? My lead is 100% quenched Wheel weight lead and is powder coated and gas checked.

Welcome aboard OM;
Don't bother with Lil Gun for those cast 300 grainers. You will use so little as to not fill the case to 80% capacity, which is a generally agreed upon safe minimum amount. The two powders you have will do just fine.

In the interest of separating theory from practice (see signature) I must say that I don't use either cast boolits or a bolt action, but what I said is sound advice regardless.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Wed May 31, 2017 4:47 am

Hoot wrote: I must say that I don't use either cast boolits or a bolt action, but what I said is sound advice regardless.

Hoot

Hoot, you know your gonna own a bolt 450 sooner or later :twisted: make the jump buddy, waters fine :P

I have never shot cast in the 450 yet, shot a few 340gr GC over 40gr 1680 in the 460 MGM Encore which has the same 16t, shot just fine.

Personally for me, I would start at the low end of the 300gr XTP data and work up watching the chrono. The bolt guns are a different animal than the AR's but I'd still start low and work up
Al in Mi

Postby Tripplebeards » Wed May 31, 2017 5:28 am

Image I have two boxes of 250g hornady FTX but don't want to mess with them yet being I made enough cast bullets for an army the other day for it.

I realize my lead hardness will play a factor in the variable but what velocities have you shooters been getting your best accuracy with in a 1/16 twist? I will eventually get an upper for my POF but wanted a bolt gun in the chamber after watching gunblasts video where he was getting 2500fps with Remington's version of the Barnes gold tip bullet. I haven't checked yet but will whin I start loading but according to Jeff there is another 1/4" of room in the mag to load them long for more room in the case and the bolt action will take close to the same pressures as the 460s&w. Guess I'll start at hornadys starting loads and workplace my way up in .5g increments till I start loosing accuracy or show signs of pressure. My goal is to get them to shoot MOA...don't care how fast or slow.

I had a lot of quality control issues with my American and it had to get shipped back and came back with new ones that I took care of on my own. I just have to make sure the barrel really free floated, mount an optic on it n shoot.
Last edited by Tripplebeards on Wed May 31, 2017 5:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tripplebeards

Postby Al in Mi » Wed May 31, 2017 5:35 am

I will say, scrub that barrel clean clean. The #1 I got had the filthiest barrel I've seen on a new factory gun in a long time.

I'll have to look up the Gunblast review, 2500fps is cooking for factory fodder.
Al in Mi

Postby Tripplebeards » Wed May 31, 2017 5:23 pm

I emailed him and was given the starting and stopping charges. He used h110 and Remington's/Barnes gold tipped muzzle loader bullet.
Tripplebeards

Postby Al in Mi » Wed May 31, 2017 6:24 pm

yea those look like the Barnes TEZ ML bullets.

5744 might be another good powder to try with cast.

the 450B chamber has about .200 of freebore so no problem loading them long
Al in Mi

Postby Tripplebeards » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:54 am

I loaded them up with hornadys jacketed load data. Used H110 and started at 27g and loaded in .5g increments up to 34.5g.

I only loaded up 3 each instead of you five load testers being I would have ran out of brass. If I get MOA or less I'll load up some more in that particular load for a five or more shot group. In the real world I haven't shot more than three times a deer in over thirty years.
Tripplebeards

Return to Reloading for the 450b