1st crimping with 450 bushmaster cast bullets need help...

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 1st crimping with 450 bushmaster cast bullets need help.

Postby Tripplebeards » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:28 am

I would assume the Remington 7 1/2 is definitely the hottest small rifle primer out there after seeing this.

I just need to rethink my crimp because .474” is too tight being it’s cutting into my cast bullet and deforming it.

Guess it’s not deforming it just cutting into the lube groove...is this alright or should I lighten up on the crimp? Hope Hoot chimes in.

Tripplebeards

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:40 am

c_franklin50 wrote:Hoot only the 3rd link works the one that give dimensions the other two put in a circle with wayback webs or something like that

Using Firefox from two different locations, the links that reference the site web.archive.org do eventually make it there. Transit times may vary depending upon ISP and browser. As you might imagine, an archive.org site is enormous and it may take a while for their engine to sift through to what you seek. I do remember the first time I followed those links, it took some wrangling and patience to get to them.

WRT cast boolits: I don't do them but I do know that lead, unlike copper jackets, doesn't offer much springback. IE You squeeze it, it stays squeezed.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Tripplebeards » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:09 am

I figured out what happened. This was a boolit I over crimped using a roll crimp. The case was buckled i crimped so hard. I taper crimp these rounds and grabbed the wrong crimp die. Here is one I tested this morning with a taper crimp of .474”. As you can see no damage was done to the boolit. I pulled a few I forgot I roll “over”crimped by accident and this was one of them. So my fault. The grey spots must be crushed up black powder from when my boolit it the bottom of my hammer type boolit puller.

My dummy round taper crimped at .474”

And the pulled boolit...

It looks like there is a ring around my boolit where my case tapered into the boolit. Is this Ok or should I lighten up on the taper a little?
Tripplebeards

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:22 am

mine look that way on jacketed bullets, so I'd say your GTG.
Al in Mi

Postby Tripplebeards » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:35 pm

Thanks Al. I figured the little line indented all the way around the boolit probaby isn’t going to affect accuracy or consistency myself but figured I’d ask the pros.

So hoot looks like .474” is good for cast as well. Guess I could have pulled one when I started this venture the summer before last so would have know what I did wrong quicker.
Tripplebeards

Postby Hoot » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:01 pm

Regardless of whether you're using lead or jacketed, you just don't want the back end of the bullets to be squeezed down to less than the bore ID since that's the last thing that touches the muzzle on the way out. Having them tapered in the middle of the bearing surface is usually inconsequential, other than it looks worrisome.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:17 pm

I shot a lot of hard cast WFN's out of an AR long time ago. FYI at 35,000 psi, these will slump/bump upon firing. I am curious as to whether the gas check is needed on a coated bullet. In the sand embankment I was shooting into, I never recovered a bullet with the gas check intact. I had odd gas cutting on the back of the bullet that almost appeared the gas found its way underneath the check. I had random fliers too. With the gas port being bigger than the overall height of the check, I suppose the theory is possible. I was always looking for 1/8 tall checks. Never finding any, I gave up on the project.

NOW I have a RAR in 450 and the cast bullet intrigues me again. The issues with dislodging the check would not be present. Still, I wonder if the check is really needed on a coated bullet.
Siringo

Postby c_franklin50 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 am

Siringo wrote:I shot a lot of hard cast WFN's out of an AR long time ago. FYI at 35,000 psi, these will slump/bump upon firing. I am curious as to whether the gas check is needed on a coated bullet. In the sand embankment I was shooting into, I never recovered a bullet with the gas check intact. I had odd gas cutting on the back of the bullet that almost appeared the gas found its way underneath the check. I had random fliers too. With the gas port being bigger than the overall height of the check, I suppose the theory is possible. I was always looking for 1/8 tall checks. Never finding any, I gave up on the project.

NOW I have a RAR in 450 and the cast bullet intrigues me again. The issues with dislodging the check would not be present. Still, I wonder if the check is really needed on a coated bullet.

What about putting on the gas check then coating over the whole thing?
c_franklin50

Postby Tripplebeards » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:06 am

Most of mine were that I recovered in the rocky soil behind my 100 yard dirt pile looked like this. All the gas checks were missing. This blue bullet was loaded with anywhere from 34.5/40 grains of h110. Just remember, these loads are WAY above book but the 450BM American action is the same exact action they use with the 300 WSM rated at 60,000psi so the action can take it but the rest of the gun rattles apart. I won’t be pushing them harder than than my 35.5 grain loads anymore but wanted to try loads all the way to 460 S&W loads...which I had no casing pressure signs what so ever. I was launching them in groups of three for accuracy testing. Don’t think I’d try without a gas check at these speeds but I’m sure it’s possible to do with powder coating only. This bullet alloy was made with 100% clip on wheel weights. I dropped the boolits in ice water out of the mold and then baked the powder coating on them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. They ended up having a brynel hardness of 16.5. My bore slugged at .451” and bullets sized at .452”.

Tripplebeards

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b