1st crimping with 450 bushmaster cast bullets need help...

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 1st crimping with 450 bushmaster cast bullets need help.

Postby Tripplebeards » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:40 pm

IT WORKS!!! I made three dummy rounds. One at the size I was having issues with ....2.075", then 2.035", and 2.0". I put all three in my mag from the longest going in first to the shortest last and my rifle cycled them through with no issues. I did it again with no issues. Then I took the long, 2.075" bullet and put it in the mag by itself and tried to cycle it...jam! Did it again, jam, then it jammed with the others in the mag.Both shorter loadings function fine by themselves several times! Damnit! All that work unloading my powder charges and resizing. SOB! Lol, well time to reload at 2.035". I'm back in business! I have watched a YouTube video of a guy taking the magazine apart and winding the spring another rotation with feeding issues but not going to mess with it since the shorter loadings cycle just fine.
Last edited by Tripplebeards on Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tripplebeards

Postby Tripplebeards » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:16 pm

Loaded to 2.035", crimped to .474...I cycled a magazone through with no feeding issues. Go to go. One of the rounds had a little paint that shaved off the side one of the bullets which I expected after cycling the bolt at a good speed. I have many other rifles that would do the same. Plenty of room I'm my mag for a longer bullet if it would have cycled.
Changed colors...not as pretty as the blue but I threw the pulled blues back in the bullet bag with the others so I wanted fresh untainted bullets to load.
Tripplebeards

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:26 pm

those things are gonna hit like a sledgehammer 8-)
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:03 pm

Would love to see a seven or eight jug water shot video with one of them. 8-)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Tripplebeards » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:20 pm

Hoot wrote:Would love to see a seven or eight jug water shot video with one of them. 8-)

Hoot

And the tree it went through after.lol
Tripplebeards

Postby Tripplebeards » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:17 pm

I had to get it out of my system....the blue blunts came back out. I picked up where I left off with the bacon grease colored bullets and started at 35g of h110 and worked up in .5g increments to 40g. Loaded them in blue so I have them color coated to know they are over book and to watch for pressure signs along the way. Whether they group or not I have a sneaking suspicion that I won't have any signs of pressure all the way to the top load. I duplicated these from the Lyman number four from the 460 s&w. Have read enough info on people loading for this rifle above this data and then some and that the reason book loads and pressures are low in this round was to match the AR platforms. If I start getting any signs of pressure I'll be pulling bullets again. Well according to Lyman the 460s&w full charge 40g load seated to 2140 fps has 56,900 p.s.i. And I'm loaded at 2.035" and PC'd. Ruger uses the exact same plAtform for the 300 WSM rated at 60,000 according to the gunblast reviews. It apparently uses the same magazine which explains the extra room.Jeff loaded a 250g bullet to 2500 fps will no pressure signs. I'll report back if I get any pressure signs and at what powder charge.

Here is the video I'm referring to...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LW0_cu73ZoY

I casted, PC, and quenched on the 25th of last month, how long do I have to wait for best uniform hardness? I've been reading any where with quench from a couple days to a month. Might have let them age for a few weeks yet before group testing if this is correct.

Last edited by Tripplebeards on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tripplebeards

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:42 am

I would think you'd be at GTG after a week. Try them now and in 3 months, see if there's any differences.

I don't cast like I use to, but still trying to digest the whole powder coating vs traditional lubes thing.
Al in Mi

Postby Tripplebeards » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:12 pm

I just ordered some warne rings and will be borrowing one of my Nikon pro staff 5 3.5x14 off one of my long range rifles for the testing. I'm sure I'll replace it with a 3x9 or 2.5x10 once I'm done.

I'm sure it will take at least a week before I see the rings so the bullets will have some more cure time.
Tripplebeards

Postby BW460 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:05 pm

I'm really glad you got them to load. Reading reports that the flat points wouldn't load has kept me from buying the RAR 450. I've got some 340 grain flat points that I would love to test. I think I would like to try them suppressed also! Darn, now I HAVE to buy a RAR and a suppressor! I'm anxiously awaiting your range report!
BW460

Postby Tripplebeards » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:34 am

I finally got freed up and will head to the range this week and report back. Hopefully one of my loads will group half way descent. Fingers crossed.
Tripplebeards

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b