How to date Lil Gun?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

How to date Lil Gun?

Postby jgilesg » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:31 pm

Hey guys
I read about older Lil Gun possibly having different burning characteristics, as well as a funky smell if its real old.
I went to the Gun Show in Orange County California this weekend and found a 4lb jug of Lil Gun for 65.00. It seemed like a pretty darn good price, so i grabbed it.
I don't see anything on it that dates it. Is there some kind of a code on it that I am missing? There is what looks like a price tag sticker on it will a long series of of numbers, is that it? If so, how do I read it?

Thanks
JG
jgilesg

Re: How to date Lil Gun?

Postby Seedyn » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:44 am

Powder lasts a long time if stored in good conditions cool and dry. I have personally used powder that was well over 20 years old which showed no performance changes. If your jug was sealed well it is probably fine. That being said it if the color is uniform and consistent and it doesn't look "rusty" then load some light loads up and try it.. As always start low and work it up, be safe.

To me the smell test is to subjective to tell anything since you have no reference to what "funky" means unless you have a brand new sample to compare it to.

If still in doubt just send me the jug and I would be happy dispose of it for you! ;)
Seedyn

Postby jgilesg » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks for the reply.
The vendor I bought it from at the show happens to be one of my ammo stops, so I stopped by and talked to the manager and she told me they just aren't going to sell it any longer so they got rid of it. She said it is less than a year old. I do have another bottle of Lil Gun so I did compare them and I couldn't see, feel or smell any difference.

Don't hold your breath on your offer but thanks for the willingness to help.

Thanks
JG
jgilesg

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:42 pm

jgilesg wrote:Thanks for the reply.
The vendor I bought it from at the show happens to be one of my ammo stops, so I stopped by and talked to the manager and she told me they just aren't going to sell it any longer so they got rid of it. She said it is less than a year old. I do have another bottle of Lil Gun so I did compare them and I couldn't see, feel or smell any difference.

Don't hold your breath on your offer but thanks for the willingness to help.

Thanks
JG

If it doesn't small like "buttermilk", then its an improvement over the jug I bought. Not entirely like "buttermilk". There's that chemical solvent smell underneath. The kind I'm used to smelling in bottles of powder. Also, not the first time I've smelled that "buttermilk" note in powder either. The truth is in how it shoots. My "buttermilk" Lil Gun still shoots fine as far as I can tell. When I'm shooting light loads buffered with corn meal, the combination makes my stomach growl. Definitely gotta stop lubing my action with bacon fat ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b