Midway has Seconds 300gr FTX

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Midway has Seconds 300gr FTX

Postby Hoot » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:08 am

This is a good deal 300 SST/ML

Here's the weird part. They had some other .452 FTX style seconds but for reasons that elude me, they are priced more expensive than the same non-factory second version. They've priced factory seconds totally wrong before, an obvious mistake, but when contacted, they say "Oh no, there's no mistake." Then a few weeks later, when they're not selling, they realize the mistake. Maybe they're targeting reloaders who don't have a clue as to what the stuff should cost. Regardless, if you want some of those 300 grainers, move fast before they're scooped up.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Midway has Seconds 300gr FTX

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Has anyone tried these bullets before. I know a few muzzleloader bullets have been, but don't recall this one. Should be interesting.

I was looking at bullets on Midway the other day and didn't understand it either. The factory seconds pricing are all over the place compared to the counterparts.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Bmt85 wrote:Has anyone tried these bullets before. I know a few muzzleloader bullets have been, but don't recall this one. Should be interesting.

I was looking at bullets on Midway the other day and didn't understand it either. The factory seconds pricing are all over the place compared to the counterparts.

Actually yes, I did a few years ago. Given all the other Hornady FTX family bullets currently showing up as seconds, I have no doubt that these are their 300gr SST/ML product. I bought some and tried them in my old original Bushmaster upper with what I felt were unsatisfactory results. Namely I was not able to make 1 MOA accuracy for 5 shots at 100 yds. I don't recall whether I wrote up a range report on the effort or not. Since then I have gone through several other barrels and now have a Bartz 20" upper. That barrel yielded some good results with the 325gr .458 FTX resized down to .4515, so there is hope that these 300gr SST/ML bullets and FWIW, I think of them still as FTX bullets, will do better the second time around. That's why I ordered 100 of them to play with. The price was right also. ;)
I have yet to write up the 325gr FTX experiment as my scanner broke and I have been dawdling getting the targets scanned.

I seem to recall a member commenting a few years ago that he found that the 300 SST/ML did not expand as rapidly or easily if you prefer, as the other FTX family members. During my last go around with these, I did not get a chance to do a water shot like I did with the 200, 225 and 250 FTX bullets. I seem to recall a member also back then commenting on the tips being of a harder rubber, perhaps soft plastic even, than the other FTX bullets since they were intended for single shot (ML) use and not from cartridges in a tubular magazine. As far as I can tell, the ones I got have the same soft FTX tips as their lighter counterparts. So, weather and time permitting, I will get a ladder test ready as soon as my trigger finger is back on line, which shouldn't be too long. I would like to see a parallel effort done by someone with a 1:16 barrel. That should play to the heavier nature of these.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:18 am

They dropped the price to 25¢ a bullet. You 300 grain enthusiasts should be stocking up for plinkers if nothing else!
The 225 FTX are down to 22¢ a bullet and 230 FMJ seconds are down to 15¢ a bullet (I'm no fan of the latter).

Hoot
Hoot

Postby mcb » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:52 am

Dang it! I already have four bullets I haven't tested yet but that price is hard to pass up. Two boxes of the 300gr inbound.
mcb

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:51 pm

225's and 300's are gone.

200's are still priced too high! Maybe they'll come down. Light recoiling, capable of kicking up to 2500fps without straining the brass in my 1:24 20" upper.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby mcb » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Two boxes of 300gr FTX showed up in the mail today. I realize I have a problem. I desperately need some range time!
mcb

Postby Hoot » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:57 am

The 200gr FTX bullet can be loaded to the same velocity as the factory 250gr FTX and have a significant lower recoil for plinking. They can also be jacked up to high flatter shooting velocity if you prefer. Before going to the 200gr Barnes XPB bullets for whitetails, I carried the 200gr FTX loaded to 2500fps. Midway still has them for 40¢ each. While that is less than the 60¢ each that the non-blemished price has been jacked up to, the 40¢ per bullet is a lot higher than the other recent factory second 450b bullets were reduced to. The 200gr FTX seconds can be found here.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Top_prop » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:47 pm

Sold out :(
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands
Top_prop

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:49 am

Top_prop wrote:Sold out :(

If you're referring to the 200 FTX, I just followed the link I posted and was able to add a box to my cart, but I don't see them listed if I just search for factory seconds. If you're talking about the 300 grainers, yes, they sold out. You have to move fast on 450b factory second bullets.

Hoot
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b