Anyone load .452 Bushmaster Xtreme Penetrator 245gr Bullet?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Anyone load .452 Bushmaster Xtreme Penetrator 245gr Bullet?

Postby Kobyashu » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:50 am

Hi all,

I am not new to reloading, but this bullet is new to me. My intended use is for hog hunting. I realize that the .450 is a great round for hunting (I am old and do NOT want to track) and the DRT factor (dead right there - all four feet in the air) is my preferred ending to a shot. Does anyone have any loading data, that I might use to build up to a good hunting load? I cannot seem to find any loading information and I didn't want to go into this blind... Thoughts, recommendations, and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, I am willing to send 50 or so bullets to someone smarter and more experienced in this arena for testing/write-up purposes. (Hoot - I loved your write-up/comparison on the Hornady 200, 225, & 250 bullets)

Kobyashu Image
Attachments
Penetrator.jpg
Picture of the bullet
Penetrator.jpg (30.65 KiB) Viewed 17161 times
Kobyashu

Re: Anyone load .452 Bushmaster Xtreme Penetrator 245gr Bull

Postby Bmt85 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:59 pm

I know a couple people have asked about them, but I don't remember seeing any data. I would contact Lehigh and see if they finally figured out load data. I know last time someone asked them, they had nothing, and that bullets been out for quite a while.

Hoot might be able to help you figure out a starting point.
Bmt85

Postby Kobyashu » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:50 am

Bmt85 - Thanks for your answer. I've been reloading straight-walled cartridges (primarily pistol) for about 30 years. That stated, I checked on the Lehigh site and the closest I can find is the .454 Casul load from a 5" barrel. Needless to say, I'm not too comfortable with just "using" this data as a starting point, as I have a 20" Bushmaster, and don't want to lose an eye, hand, or other important part of my body. Lehigh sells the bullet, but I cannot find ANY load data for the .450BM. Can anyone out there, with experience, give me what they believe a good starting load might be? Here's what I am seeing from the Lehigh site...
Kobyashu

Postby Kobyashu » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Ok... trying to get the load data to upload in .jpg format.
Attachments
Load1.jpg
1 of 2
Load1.jpg (63.63 KiB) Viewed 17092 times
Kobyashu

Postby Kobyashu » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:11 pm

2 of 2
Attachments
Load2.jpg
2 of 2
Load2.jpg (67.97 KiB) Viewed 17092 times
Kobyashu

Postby Hoot » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:18 pm

Unfortunately, I could not find any bullets in QuickLoad that would serve as a reference for ones made of brass. This we can assume: Brass is going to be harder to squeeze down to the bore dimensions than copper but once there, they are slipperier than copper and the Bushmaster factory uppers use a chromed bore which is in all likelihood adds to the slipperiness of the environment. My gut feeling is that they are probably going to jump to the leade and stand up for a while longer than jacketed copper, then scoot down the bore faster, so while a slipperier environment lends to a faster burning powder, that hardness doesn't. You're going to have to pick your way through the weeds in the dark, if Lehigh doesn't do some testing for you. Given the opposing properties, I would load as slow a powder as I believe the caliber tolerates like AA1680 and see what charge yields what velocity minus pressure signs. Once you have a benchmark, it will be easier to jog in powders with a faster burn rate. Not a good prospect for bullets that cost so much as it'll take a lot of them working through to a solution. They may well be the cat's pajamas one you find what they like, but there are other good choices for bullets that have established track records. I'll ruminate on the 454 Casull results when I get some time. We may be able to correlate that given there are plenty of load options in QuickLoad for them. IE, we can model a 5 inch pistol load using a 250gr copper bullet and see how it compares to what they show for the brass ones. The problem is that the 450b is a horse of a different color than the 454 Casull in many ways and a 20" rifle barrel will obviously be able to take advantage of slower powders than a 5 inch pistol.

I'm busier than a one armed paper hanger right now, but I'll try to find the time to do some modeling.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:13 am

If it were me, I'd start with some low end H110/296 data the guys here have used for the 275gr Barnes and work up from there. Lilgun might be a good choice too, again, I'd start with some 275gr Barnes data and work up, watch your chrono and check for pressures.

As Hoot says, your sorta gonna have to pick your way thru the weeds in the dark.
Al in Mi

Postby Kobyashu » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Hoot and Al,

Thanks so much for your input! I do appreciate it. That stated, it appears that I have 50 or so brass bullets to experiment with. I will take your advice and start with the slower powder and give it a try. I'll keep you all up-to-date on my progress. I just started a new job, so the range time is definitely taking a beating. As I progress, I will post the results. Hopefully, I will have some killer pig rounds before too long. I am looking forward to swine smacking later on this summer, once the new job settles down. Thanks again.

Kobyashu
Kobyashu

Postby Hoot » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Well, its hard to beat a Friday, except when your "Secret Santa" tops it off with a CARE package in the mailbox containing a box of the 245gr and a box of 250gr Xtreme Penetrators, to work up loads for! Image

Looks like I'll be giving those Starline cases a workout at the same time. Probably Try some W296, MP300 and possibly Lil Gun. Out of H110 right now.

I'll start a new thread when the Range Day is complete.

Hoot

Thank You Secret Santa!
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:53 am

those are a pretty piece of machine work!!!
Al in Mi

Return to Reloading for the 450b