Barnes Buster 325gr is back in stock!

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Barnes Buster 325gr is back in stock!

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Hoot wrote:
commander faschisto wrote:Wildcatter loaded these in his personal 450b at 2100fps (with the "Corvette" modification he did) that some teenagers used for hog hunting, IIRC. He posted some pics of the event a few years ago here...it was with the rifle he has pictured as his avatar. I can't remember if he mentioned the load information... :?:

Edit: Just found the post: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1634&p=9966&hilit=barnes+buster+wildcatter#p9966

In another post he mentions that a "stock" 450b will not get to 2100fps before excessive pressure signs show up, along with timing problems (early extraction)... I think the powder used with this was 1680...

The various single-shot and bolt guns available these days should be able to sling these whompers at that speed or better, I would think. Muzzle brake recommended...

Having loaded up those resized (.458) 325gr FTX bullets to 1950fps with 1680, I can say that while a muzzle brake is a big plus, the Lion's Share of the recoil is from Newton's 3rd Law. The mid-length gas system on the Bartz handled them just fine in terms of timing, but yes, a rifle-length would probably be more at home with slower powders like that weight of bullet would suggest. QuickLoad shows a maximum safe (ninny) pressure with 1680 will get you to 1900fps. I took them up to 1950fps and unfortunately, ran out of bullets before I had advanced the charge to where I had adverse pressure signs. Should have bought more when Midway had them on sale, but didn't expect them to shoot accurately based upon the experiences I had with 300 grainers. Was pleasantly surprised when the fastest load produced 5-shot 1 MOA accuracy at 100 yds! Three step resizing each of them was a chore, but definitely do-able if you have the dies and the time.

I still have my Franklin 20" upper with rifle-length gas system. I will be going on a pig hunt down at the Circle T Ranch in February, courtesy of my rich brother-in-law. It'll be the first guided hunt I've ever been on. My brother-in-law has gone several times and says that the staff treats you real good. Can't Wait!

Mike, we're driving down I-35 most of the way. Sure would like to have a face-to-face with you on the way, if only to shake your hand and spend a few minutes if you're close to I-35. Brother-in-law not much of a dawdler, but I bet it would be a welcome break in the drive, to stop for a short while and shake off the road. Food for thought... ;)

Hoot

I'm about 45 minutes east of I 35. If your timing is right, I could run 380 to Denton for a burger meet.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:55 am

I don't have the particulars about what time we will be departing, but if past experiences with my brother-in-law repeat, we will be driving non-stop, switching off drivers to keep everyone rested. That's how the fishing trips to Canada used to go. So, no telling when we'll be rolling through different way points along the way. Should have a better idea after the 1st of the year.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:53 pm

We await your updates!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:05 am

I think this is the post regarding the Barnes Busters
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1634
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b